Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members
The explanation is already there. Loras wants revenge for Renly's death and his sister wants to be queen.

Indeed, don't forget a couple of episodes ago Littlefinger came to Tywin to discuss this (in the scene where we thought he would realise Arya was Tywin's servent). I'm sure they'll tie it up properly in the final episode.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Renly stuff aside, it was tremendous, best hour of TV in a long time.

...what Renly stuff?

Exactly. Read previous posts- they tried something that hardly anybody noticed. I think. I'm not even sure...

• Paid Members
Aye, I didn't have a clue who any of them were (or were meant to be) until that gay Brian Kendrick bloke showed his face. When did Tywen pal up with Renley's boys, and how does that make sense? Has it already been explained and I missed it?

He didn't. Well not really.

The majority of Renly's men went over to Stannis after Renly's death but Littlefinger convinced Loras and Margaery to run before they were taken prisoner and handed over. With Renly dead, they really had no option but to declare for Joffrey since they're would be no way back for them if Stannis took the Iron Throne.

Basically it's a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing.

Am I the only one that actually felt sorry for Joffrey when Tyrion was asking him to lead and he just looked like a scared little boy? Amazing stuff.

Aye. As I said above it was brilliant performance from him. It really made you remember that he's still just a child.

Actually thinking about it the Director did brilliantly to keep the audience on the side of the Lannisters. Considering Joffrey and Cersei have been the main bad guys from the start of the series, it was really impressive.

• Paid Members
Renly stuff aside, it was tremendous, best hour of TV in a long time.

...what Renly stuff?

Exactly. Read previous posts- they tried something that hardly anybody noticed. I think. I'm not even sure...

OK, kept simply, in the books Stannis' army breaks largely due to the size of the Lannister / Tyrell force coming toward them, but also because the host is led by 'Renly' (actually Ser Garlan Tyrell, Loras' older brother, in Renlys armor and stag helm). Stannis' soldiers believe him to be the ghost of Renly and shit their pants.

Think it was a good idea to switch it to being Loras in the Renly armor for the show though. Just wish they'd made a bit more of it.

• Paid Members

How the fuck is anyone supposed to remember what Renly's armour looked like? Loras was only on screen for 6 seconds and who actually paid close enough attention to Renly's armour when he was in it for one or two scenes back in episode 2 or 3 to remember what it looked like?

I'm glad they didn't make more of it. It'd be ridiculous if they did.

• Paid Members
Fucking brilliant episode. STANNIS~! What a mad, bad, fuckaneer and last night no doubt cemented him as my favourite character; he managed to eclipse the bad motherfuckery of both Bronn and The Hound.

Agreed, when he started chopping fools up I was going nuts!

"But hundreds will die!"

Stannis: "...thousands"

What a badass.

• Paid Members

Another thing, who would be scared of the ghost of Renly? He seemed a bit of a wuss to me.

Anyway none of this matters, The Imp chopping off legs with his little axe is what matters. Badass.

• Paid Members

Renly might have been a little wuss, but "ghost" might be a bit close to "undead"/wight for superstitious Westerosi.

I think Stannis’ vanquished host should be allowed to gang rape the awful Sky Atlantic voice over lady who, at the end, cheerily pimped that shit looking Chloe Sevigny vehicle over the Lannister dirge of doom, The Rains of Castamere. Sounded awesome, although needs more drums ;) I can’t wait to hear what they do with The Dornishman’s Wife.

http://youtu.be/sn2l2_v6Ur8

• Awards Moderator

Add me to the folks who loved Stannis in this episode, and the 'Rains of Castamere' song (I, too, was annoyed at the Sky Atlantic woman talking over it).

Saw this on EW.com's Inside TV site, via the Game Of Thrones twitter. A list of new characters who will be introduced in season 3, as well as a few details on how adapting the third book will work.

Needless to say, within are season 2 spoilers, season 3 spoilers, and book spoilers from book 2 onwards:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

'Game of Thrones' scoop: Season 3 character list revealed -- EXCLUSIVE

The Reeds are in!

EW.com has a list of new characters coming to HBO

Archived