Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

You had the vague Tyrion in a daze seeing Renley's horned helm/armour, but I missed it watching it, just saw a still after the event.

Sansa was really well played this week too.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

blackwater.jpg

gory violence, swordfighting, flaming arrows, green explosions, jerome flynn somehow managing to be even more awesome, charles dance looking as hard as nails and peter dinklage being as good as ever

and even away from battle the cersei scenes were excellently done by lena headey.

theres only one left :( that game that was advertised better be good to hold over till next year

• Paid Members

Well fuck me, that might be the best hour of tv I've ever seen, even better than Christopher Moltisanti and Paulie Walnuts getting lost in the woods in Sopranos. That wildfire explosion was an incredible visual, and actually had me cheering! At a tv show! Tyrion was class as always, Cersai stole the non-action scenes and The Hound's face turn was great.

I totally didn't get the Renly part, didn't clock at all. When the horseback men arrived I thought (or hoped, rather) that it would be The Starks. But that can obviously wait another day/series, but it'll take something to beat this. Unbelievable.One more series like this and it's my favourite show of all time.

• Paid Members
Well that was fucking incredible wasn't it. Lena Headey was amazing, really becoming more like the paranoid, alcoholic Cersei that we see in the books. The wildfire explosion was probably the biggest money-shot there's ever been on a TV show. I think they could have played up the 'ghost of Renly' thing a bit more before the Loras reveal.....just having a character see him and wonder aloud "Renly?" would have put viewers in a good excited state for a minute. As it is , I think people may have been confused by the 'third army' coming in at the end to save Kings Landing from Stannis.

Aye. I wonder how many people actually recognised Renly's armor?

Fucking fantastic episode though. I agree with what you said about Cersei but I thought Joffrey was brilliant as well. I'm so used to seeing him playing the arrogant, spoiled psychopath, that seeing him show genuine fear was really quite shocking. In fact I thought everybody played their parts really well from Tyrion to Lancel.

Also nice to have an entire episode with no one uttering the words "Mother of Dragons" or "true Queen of Westeros".

Well fuck me, that might be the best hour of tv I've ever seen, even better than Christopher Moltisanti and Paulie Walnuts getting lost in the woods in Sopranos. That wildfire explosion was an incredible visual, and actually had me cheering! At a tv show! Tyrion was class as always, Cersai stole the non-action scenes and The Hound's face turn was great.

I totally didn't get the Renly part, didn't clock at all. When the horseback men arrived I thought (or hoped, rather) that it would be The Starks. But that can obviously wait another day/series, but it'll take something to beat this. Unbelievable.One more series like this and it's my favourite show of all time.

You didn't get the Renly part because it was poorly directed. That aside it was a decent bit of gogglevision. A pretty graphics bit, a cool speech and the Man Mountain running away was a nice moment. It's also not a coincidence that the best episode so far is the one where they actually give things time to resonate. I know they've got a fuck load to get through but sometimes I think the location jumps are a little too fast and they don't give things time to build and really mean something.

The show still just doesn't click for me. I've watched it all, and its all decent enough fluff but I still don't love it yet. Most of the acting is pretty good though.

That was absolutely incredible. Obviously all the hype was on this episode and it delivered big time. Watching the wildfire rain down was spectacular as the battle raged. I loved all the Cersei parts inbetween, it was so well done. Tyrion, Bronn, The Hound and Sansa were all fantastic too. Right up there with the top television episodes ever made.

• Awards Moderator

I can only echo what (virtually) everyone else had said, spectacular episode. Everyone from Davos to Bronn (both singing and fighting) to Varys to Cersei to Stannis to Lancel were at their very best, the battle scenes were spectacular, it was well-paced, and I got totally caught up in the whole thing - I was practically chanting 'Halfman!' by the end (great speech from him on the steps - Emmy 2 for Peter Dinklage?) Everything resonated for me except the Renly thing, to be honest - I didn't remember that was why Loras turned up until I read this thread.

Loved the wildfire shot, and I think the fact they saved all their battling for now was pretty effective - like with WWE and chair shots, the less you see them, the more impact they have when you do.

Bring on the finale...

• Paid Members

Just fantastic. Nice to see the return of Ser Illyn Payne. Wilko Johnson always looked like a half crazed killer when he was beating his guitar to death in Dr Feelgood so this is hardly acting but he conveys a tremendous sense of menace without ever saying a word.

Well that was fucking incredible wasn't it. Lena Headey was amazing, really becoming more like the paranoid, alcoholic Cersei that we see in the books. The wildfire explosion was probably the biggest money-shot there's ever been on a TV show. I think they could have played up the 'ghost of Renly' thing a bit more before the Loras reveal.....just having a character see him and wonder aloud "Renly?" would have put viewers in a good excited state for a minute. As it is , I think people may have been confused by the 'third army' coming in at the end to save Kings Landing from Stannis.

Aye, I didn't have a clue who any of them were (or were meant to be) until that gay Brian Kendrick bloke showed his face. When did Tywen pal up with Renley's boys, and how does that make sense? Has it already been explained and I missed it?

• Paid Members

Aye, I didn't have a clue who any of them were (or were meant to be) until that gay Brian Kendrick bloke showed his face. When did Tywen pal up with Renley's boys, and how does that make sense? Has it already been explained and I missed it?

Stannis killed Renley. Who better to assist Loras in getting revenge than the richest man in the Seven Kingdoms?

That's basically the gist of what happened. Barely explained in the show, just joining the dots.

• Paid Members

So yes that was fucking brilliant. I bet the producers are having a sigh of relief that the next big battle isn't probably going to be untill season 4. Just amazing that a TV show managed to pull something so spectacular together.

What makes it all so bloody brilliant is all the shades of gray, there are no good guys vs bad guys.

You're not sure if you want the Lannisters to win because that keeps the vile Joffrey on the throne and Cercei in power and they are the enemies of the Starks. However they have Tyrion, who everyone loves, and Tommen is a good kid so you don't want them to lose.

But with Stannis you don't want him to win because he has the Red Witch who has all kinds of fucked up evil powers, and the man himself cares more about justice than actually being a good king to the realm, as Renly said "he inspires no love or loyalty". However he has Davos who is a good sensible guy and Stannis is the rightful King by the laws of the land and wants to remove the Lannisters from power so him winning would be good in other ways.

It was one of the best allround episodes of TV ever, every character had great moments inbetween the choatic and awesome battle scenes.

Stannis is also a fucking badass, loved how he was the first one up the ladder (without a helmet!) and cut the top of a guys head off.

Am I the only one that actually felt sorry for Joffrey when Tyrion was asking him to lead and he just looked like a scared little boy? Amazing stuff.

• Paid Members

Still one more episode, I would have thought an explanation will come in that, unless they save that for season 3.

• Paid Members

Still one more episode, I would have thought an explanation will come in that, unless they save that for season 3.

It'll be explained in the final episode, the episode guide says something about Joffrey granting honours and rewarding the men who helped drive back Stannis.

Archived