Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

More book spoilers

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

They'll probably just have Osha go with Bran, that will work out better for everyone. Osha is great, she's an established character in the TV show and the Reeds are fucking shit. Bits with them and Bran are the most boring in all the books. Chucking Osha in there instead will improve it so fucking much.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Some of the changes from the books are slightly frustrating. (aCoK spoiler) SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Jojen Reed's green dreams being switched to Bran and Osha, for one

I don't think that one's frustrating at all. That's one of those changes, of which there have been a few this season, that work better than the books, and really streamline things. I'm surprised at just how much of that's going on, with various storylines being merged.

I understand why they made the change. I am disappointed not to see them on screen though. I like them in the books. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I suppose that they could be introduced next season when Bran and Hodor (and Osha and Rickon, too?) leave Winterfell and go north. I was just really looking forward to seeing them as they are so different to the other people of Westeros. The way Jojen is nicknamed little grandad makes me laugh.

It's probably asking too much for a separate "Game of Thrones book/TV differences" thread but that's pretty much all this one is, which is fairly frustrating. Nigh-on every post is just spoiler tags about changes in translation and the various merits of them. And this is the only place I can trust for Game of Thrones discussion, Googling such threads is bound to result in landing smack bang in front of a "can't wait to see who they cast as Zalfflyon Digograff in season five, the scene when he brings Ned Stark back from the dead as a white walker and kills the dragons is gonna be awesome" post. Is there any other cunt watching Game of Thrones who either hasn't read the books or who watches the show for more reasons than just comparing it to the source material?

• Paid Members

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way Pity. All I want to do is talk about what's happening on the telly but see spoiler tags everywhere, you literate book reading bastards!

• Moderators
Yeah, I'd love a thread for each, I hate having to keep using spoiler tags. Are mods ok with having two? If so ill change the title on this one.

If there was a separate book thread, there's zero chance of people stopping using book spoilers in this one anyway. It's natural to want to compare the shows to the books, or comment on what was different or done well/badly when compared to the books, or "I can't wait for XY!"

I'll open a book thread after S2 is finished, but for now, I don't want people blundering into the wrong GoT thread by mistake and reading about Tywin wanking himself to death in book 5, or whatever happens, so let's keep it to one.

• Moderators

Sorry, I'm breaking my own loose rule about holding on until it's aired on Sky, but while I'm thinking about it, regarding the episode that aired last night on HBO and its relation to how those scenes play out in the second book...

Bran and Rickon escaping now robs us of the "Holy shit, Theon killed them and stuck their heads on pikes" fake-out. Although you kinda see it coming in the books from how fast it and casual it's referred to, and all offscreen too, you know GRRM gives no fuck, so he might've. I guess they'll still do the heads on pikes stuff, but we'll know it's not the Stark boys from the get-go.

That's probably a good thing though. Fake-outs on deaths are Heroes-level TV shit. On GoT, when someone's dead, you know that motherfucker's dead, even if it happens offscreen.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I can probably unspoil these bits now.

Osha is mad sexy. But not as much as the redhead wilding. If she does a nude scene, they'll have to rename me Cleft-Hand.

• Paid Members

Spoilers from last night/a bit from all the books:

Presumably she will do a nude scene at some point, when her and Jon Snow get it on.

The episode was pretty good, the addition of the dragons being stolen is a good way to get Dany to the House of the Undying, and also gets rid of all the shit Qarth stuff from the book. I love Dany but her chapters were dogshit sometimes

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators
Dany is a bit of a spoilt brat, no? I'm not sure what's there to root for other than she's gorgeous and has dragons.

I'd probably be a bit pissy too if my family were slaughtered; baby brother's head dashed against the wall. And then, given to a rapey horse lord, like property, and left as the last of her bloodline, thousands of miles from the land she believes is rightfully hers to rule. If that's being spoilt, then no thanks.

• Paid Members

Depends. If you buy into the Iron Throne being her "birthright" and avenging the death of her brother and murder of her innocent nephew & neice by The Mountain and that cunt Lorch, she's one of the most natural babyfaces in the saga. Alternatively, she's an unfortunate victim of the (necessary) murder of the Mad King, bully for her, and furthermore her current situation a byproduct of her moronic brother's misguided plan to cross the narrow sea, and shit happens.

The shades of grey is one of the things I love about ASOIAF, few characters being 100% good or 100% bad, most being completely justifyable from their point of view. My mates don't understand when I tell them my favourite character is Jaime, and that his betrayal of the Mad King was actually an act of heroism, that an awful lot of what he does is trying to put his family first and from his point of view is completely right - and to be honest it helps that he gets some killer lines. When I tell anyone my favourite character is Jaime, they look at me like I'm cheering on leukaemia vs the schoolgirl.

• Paid Members

Dany is a bit of a spoilt brat, no? I'm not sure what's there to root for other than she's gorgeous and has dragons.

To be fair, she gets fucked over at every turn.Sold to a horse lord.Falls in love with horse lord, horse lord dies.Dragons hatch, loses her armyBloodriders dieArrives in Qarth, only to struggle to get helpDragons get stolen.She hardly has a good time of it. It improves over time. Honest.air_raid - Book Jaime is brilliant. I get funny looks when I say I like Cersei - she's an utter cunt, but her motivation is understandable.

Archived