Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Awards Moderator

I've only seen the first half of the most recent episode because the Sky Planner cut out, but from what I saw so far, they've got Brienne just about right.

I like the way they've done Melisandre in the series, I think she's better than I'd pictured her while I was reading the books. Davos is quite different from how I'd thought of him, but Stannis is more or less spot on (though I've always envisioned him bearded, the clean-shaven look is a good way of showing how different he is from Robert).

The only problem with Melisandre, Davos and Stannis might be lack of screentime. There's a hell of a lot going on this year, but those three new characters in particular are pretty important, and if I hadn't read the books, I'd find it a little difficult to understand what their stories are at the moment - they've barely been a presence compared to how heavily I thought they'd feature, so I hope they'll get more chance to show what they're about in the next episode or two.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I fucking love Game of Thrones.

The books are brilliant, and the TV show is doing a great job at adapting the source material.

My favourite characters in the books and the TV show are Tyrion Lannister and Arya Stark. The scenes between Tyrion and Varys/Pycelle/Littlefinger, and Arya/Yoren in the latest episode were top drawer.

Maisie Williams, the actress who plays Arya Stark, is right handed. She learnt to sword fight left-handed because that's the way that the Braavosi fight in the books. I just find it astounding that such a young actress is so talented.

I also prefer TV show Sansa to book Sansa. Catelyn can fuck right off though.

Joffrey's actor is immense - you just want to punch him as soon as you see him.

• Paid Members
Also I would like to add that the Brienne vs. Loras fight is brilliantly choreographed. Go back and watch it again, it's spectacularly brutal while also showing the skill of both competitors.

Yeah it was a great fight, I wish they'd had more time to show that it was a melee of lots of people though. Could have boosted Brienne and Loras even more by showing them taking down 3 or 4 other guys first and then facing off against each other.

Just a note, if you've read the books don't tell us people following at TV pace about characters playing huge roles in the future stories, I'd rather not know that a character will live past Season 2 or even the next episode. Thanks.

• Paid Members

That was probably one of the meanest episodes yet but it was brilliant too. Hard to watch at times but totally gripping. The ending was also fucking awesome, I wish I hadn't read the books because that would have BLOWN me away.

Also: TYWIN LANNISTER, BITCHES!

I would imagine considering they're only a day apart UK pace would be preferred, it wasnt very spoilery so I'm not getting on my high horse or anything, just with it airing in half an hour waiting a bit might be best.

• Moderators

This thread is UK pace. We're barely 16 hours behind, so there's no need to come rushing in with your thoughts if you've managed to download and watch it before 9pm hits.

That said... (spoiler for tonight's episode)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

"There's no cure for being a cunt."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

This thread is UK pace. We're barely 16 hours behind, so there's no need to come rushing in with your thoughts if you've managed to download and watch it before 9pm hits.

That said... (spoiler for tonight's episode)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

"There's no cure for being a cunt."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

That and the "But you can let some of the poison out" line floored me.

Fucking amazing episode. Loving this season so far and it's so cool seeing what I've visualized reading the books now on screen.

Archived