Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Having not read the books and thus not seeing that ending coming, what the fuck is it??

If you really want to know...

next episode (I assume)/A Clash Of Kings spoiler

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Melisandre is a Red Priestess but also is described as a "shadowbinder" from Asshai, and what you've basically seen is her "give birth" to a shadow/demon. Any more would be spoiling too much for you, even with spoiler tags!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators
One thing I'm happy about is non-book readers all seem to have a shocked/excited reaction to the ending. I was worried it would get a bunch of "jumped the shark"-like comments.

Yeah, likewise. A lot of people got into Game of Thrones under the proviso "I hate orcs and wizards and shit! :angry: " with the understanding there was no magic (or 'low magic' as it's termed), and it was basically a medieval setting, with no goblins firing lightning out of their dicks. Now there's a season of awesomeness out of the way, people are thankfully willing to buy into it.

• Paid Members

Why the fuck did I not realise Jerome Flynn was in this?? Having watched him by the Imp's side for both series, it took my wife to point it out to me.

He's starting to pay off his debt for Up On The Roof keeping Wonderwall off the #1 spot.

I'm off sick at the mo so have given this another chance. The two posts above are pretty much what I was going to post. Plus that redheaded witch lady thing is pretty foxy. Although I wish Lily Allens rat faced brother would fuck off.

• Paid Members
One thing I'm happy about is non-book readers all seem to have a shocked/excited reaction to the ending. I was worried it would get a bunch of "jumped the shark"-like comments.

A couple of my mates actually got into it because they expected more of the ghosty supernatural stuff based on the trailers and based on the opening scene of series 1 where Royce's group meet the White Walkers, so they're keen to see how far it goes, having not read the books. Also they want more dragons.

But then. these are men that rank the quality of the three Jurassic Park films solely on the amount of dinosaurs in them.

Yet again another excellent episode. Although I feel that:

Renly's death should have happened at the end of last week

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And there are some pretty big differences to the book(s as also including a spoiler from ASOS) I don't know if I'm keen on yet:

Are the Reeds going to come into it seen as Bran was having Jojen's dreams about the sea at Winterfall? Also Arya killing The Tickler in the books is so awesome and powerful, yet he's one of the three no-name characters (really) that Arya has Hagar kill

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Awards Moderator
Yet again another excellent episode. Although I feel that:

Renly's death should have happened at the end of last week

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And there are some pretty big differences to the book(s as also including a spoiler from ASOS) I don't know if I'm keen on yet:

Are the Reeds going to come into it seen as Bran was having Jojen's dreams about the sea at Winterfall? Also Arya killing The Tickler in the books is so awesome and powerful, yet he's one of the three no-name characters (really) that Arya has Hagar kill

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Regarding your second spoiler (book spoilers for everything, including Dance With Dragons):

I wondered about the Reeds too, but it looks a bit like they'll have Osha take on that role as, like you said, I'm sure they were in it by this point in the book. Can't say I'm too cut up about it, they were a bit rubbish as characters anyway. As for Arya, I see your point regarding the Tickler but I don't really mind any changes they make to Arya's overall story - once she heads off to Braavos, which I know won't be for ages, it all started getting a bit silly, so anything that might alter her course is okay with me. There'll be no cutting out of her tag team with the Hound, though, I hope.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

great to have a HOLY SHIT moment in the first five minutes rather than the last five. i fucking gasped

marked out a little for ed tudor pole and finchy from the office.

Jerome Flynn was great again. wonder how many people will realise its him this week

Sorry for asking this but why did they all leave the wall and start roaming about? I cant remember from the first series. Please just give me answers up to the TV show as I havent read any books and want to avoid spoilers.

Archived