Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Awards Moderator

Partly because they wanted to find Jon Snow's uncle Benjen, and partly because a corpse came back to life and tried to kill the Lord Commander, which, coupled with rumours of White Walkers around, was a bit worrying. Basically, it's all kicking off north of the Wall and they've gone to try and sort it out!

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
And there are some pretty big differences to the book(s as also including a spoiler from ASOS) I don't know if I'm keen on yet:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Are the Reeds going to come into it seen as Bran was having Jojen's dreams about the sea at Winterfall? Also Arya killing The Tickler in the books is so awesome and powerful, yet he's one of the three no-name characters (really) that Arya has Hagar kill

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I'm totally fine with them writing out the Reeds and giving Osha some of their stuff, but have to admit I was gutted at The Tickler dying here, the scene where The Hound and Arya kill The Tickler and Polliver at the Inn at the Crossroads at the end of aSoS is one of my favourites.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Also, whoever decided to team up Charles Dance and Maisse Williams needs a medal, that's some great chemistry.

Partly because they wanted to find Jon Snow's uncle Benjen, and partly because a corpse came back to life and tried to kill the Lord Commander, which, coupled with rumours of White Walkers around, was a bit worrying. Basically, it's all kicking off north of the Wall and they've gone to try and sort it out!

Thanks, I could remember the corpse but couldnt remember if thats why they left the wall or if it was something else.

• Paid Members

It was also because there were reports of strange movements by the wildlings and wildling villages being deserted so they are investigating that.

Another fantastic episode. It was great for Dany to get substantial screen time finally and I loved her scenes and all of the scenes in Quart with all those freaks. This episode just felt fun which was what we needed after the horror and brutality of last weeks episode. Everything is building up and ticking along nicely.

• Paid Members

Yeah agreed, Dany's stuff was much more interesting this episode. Pyat Pree is one creepy looking motherfucker.

I'm torn on Aryas storyline compared to the books, her stuff with Tywin so far has been amazing, but her being a cupbearer for the most powerful man in the seven kingdoms is a lot more comfortable than (Minor Clash of Kings info) SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

being a scullion in the Harrenhall kitchens being abused by Gregors men and the Bloody Mummers. Perhaps they think she has suffered enough for now, but personally I think the darker and more horrible Arya's story becomes at this point, the better.

Another great episode. Pyatt Pree looked great, better than I'd imagined. Quaithe was different from what I imagined, but she looked good still.

Some of the changes from the books are slightly frustrating. (aCoK spoiler) SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Jojen Reed's green dreams being switched to Bran and Osha, for one

Arya being cupbearer for Tywin is interesting. Charles Dance and Maisie Williams do have a good chemistry though so its more acceptable. Intruiged how her story will play out now. Also, the actor playing Jaqen nailed it.

Loved the scene on The Iron Islands with Theon and the Ironmen. You could almost see the lightbulb switch on above Theon's head when Dagmer Cleftjaw gave his little peptalk.

Good to see our man, Bronn, get some more screen time/lines. Jerome Flynn is Bronn, in the same way that Conleth Hill is Varys. Relatively minor characters from the books, brought to life perfectly on screen. Tyrion/Peter Dinklage continues to own the show, everyone else is playing for second place. Pyromancer Hallyne was perfect too, and a nice touch to have him portrayed by Roy Dotrice (who reads the audiobooks).

Everything is starting pick up pace now, as it does in the book. The next five episodes are going to be excellent. The wait for season 3 will not.

• Paid Members

Am I the only one that finds Osha strangely sexy?

I loved Jorah's emotional scene. Usually he's just exposition so it's great to see him let his heart out a bit. He's right though, Dany is very very lovely.

• Moderators
Some of the changes from the books are slightly frustrating. (aCoK spoiler) SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Jojen Reed's green dreams being switched to Bran and Osha, for one

I don't think that one's frustrating at all. That's one of those changes, of which there have been a few this season, that work better than the books, and really streamline things. I'm surprised at just how much of that's going on, with various storylines being merged.

Clash of Kings book stuff:

Renly's death is a lot more sinister in the book, because (IIRC anyway), it happens separately to the birth of the shadowbaby, which is when they storm somewhere later on, at which point you think "Aaah, so that's what got him." The fact we'd seen that kind of magic killed the surprise a bit, but it was a necessary change.

I'm not sure how Arya's three deaths thing will pan out, seeing as they've skipped the entire kitchen/Weez scenes altogether. She's having a much better time of things in the TV show, and the truncating of her story, especially the stuff from being captured to arriving at Harrenhal, means her list of bedtime death prayers isn't as long.

Shame they changed the "one-titted dress" fashions of Qarth too.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Osha certainly is sexy as fuck too. Moreso if you saw the actress on Sky's Oscar coverage, as one of the people chatting on the sofa during ad breaks. She's wonderfully crazy, like a 2012 Fenella Fielding.

• Paid Members
Shame they changed the "one-titted dress" fashions of Qarth too.

Yeah, apparently there was a lot of discussion about that in the build up to season 2. They felt it would be a bit distracting, which to be fair, is probably right

I'm not sure how Arya's three deaths thing will pan out, seeing as they've skipped the entire kitchen/Weez scenes altogether. She's having a much better time of things in the TV show, and the truncating of her story, especially the stuff from being captured to arriving at Harrenhal, means her list of bedtime death prayers isn't as long.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Clash of Kings spoiler

Yeah, I can kind of understand them merging Dunsen and Polliver into one guy, no Raff was a shame but with Weese or Chyswick not cast, I'm not sure who death #2 is going to be. Possibly Rorge or Biter but again that'll have consequences later

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators
Am I the only one that finds Osha strangely sexy?

Nothing strange about that.

Natalia%20Tena%201.jpg

She's also the lead singer in a band isn't she?

Yes. She is quite sexy. There is a girl who works at the hair salon I go to (yes I said salon you unfashionable pricks) who looks just like her. She is also hot.

I wondered about the Reeds too, but it looks a bit like they'll have Osha take on that role as, like you said, I'm sure they were in it by this point in the book. Can't say I'm too cut up about it, they were a bit rubbish as characters anyway. As for Arya, I see your point regarding the Tickler but I don't really mind any changes they make to Arya's overall story - once she heads off to Braavos, which I know won't be for ages, it all started getting a bit silly, so anything that might alter her course is okay with me. There'll be no cutting out of her tag team with the Hound, though, I hope.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

The thing is..... Book spoilers:

Osha and the Reeds have to be there by the end of the season for Bran/Hodor to go with the Reeds and Osha to take Rickon. Unless Bran/Hodor go off to the wall alone, or Maester Luwin survives and takes Rickon?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
The thing is..... Book spoilers:

Osha and the Reeds have to be there by the end of the season for Bran/Hodor to go with the Reeds and Osha to take Rickon. Unless Bran/Hodor go off to the wall alone, or Maester Luwin survives and takes Rickon?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It's tricky this one, Rickon and Osha haven't been mentioned for like 3 books so they could be fucking anywhere by now. It's possible they just all go together and don't split them up at the end of this season.

Alternatively, they could wait until next season and cast Meera and Jojen and have Bran and Hodor meet them along the way somewhere. But I think as they've already started giving Osha some of Jojen's bits there's no great need for them.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Archived