Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Awards Moderator
Sorry - is it in another thread?

Tis indeed. The TV pace one that was spoiler free until some bell posted a Mahoosive spoiler that got him Starked.

Beautiful verb!

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see him as Doran, they have message around with the age of most the characters. Especially, he only needs to look old enough to be Arianne's dad, seen as anyone can get ill and wheelchair bound at any age. Seen as most in Westros seem to get married in their mid teens, looking old enough to be Arianne's dad shouldn't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished ADWD. A few thoughts/questions/observations:

-on the Victarion discussion a few pages back: I find his chapters interesting enough to read, but what a miserable, serious bastard he is (almost to the point of parody). I think the Ironborn in general are probably the least likeable major characters in the book - at least the Lannisters and Boltons have a bit of bastardy charisma about them, but the Greyjoys are just dour twats.

-a bit of a gay post, but is anyone else hoping that Dany is going to have a change of heart (romantically) on Ser Jorah? Considering how often the trope of The Bear and the Maiden Fair comes up in the book, it seems quite a fitting coupling, and as he's stuck it out this long I'm pretty sure he'll end up as one of the dragon riders at least (probably with Tyrion being the other one). Daario just seems like a bit of an arsey gobshite in both series and book, and I can't see the Danaharis romance being particularly popular with fans of either. Ser Barristan thinks he's a prick as well, which is good enough for me.

-the sooner the next books get away from Meereen and having to remember loads of awkward Ghiscari names, the better. I'm also finding Connington and the young Targaryen lad a bit dull. Hopefully neither survive the confrontation with the Lannisters and/or Stannis.

-Where's the best place to go online for more discussion of the books (other than here, of course)?

• Paid Members
-a bit of a gay post, but is anyone else hoping that Dany is going to have a change of heart (romantically) on Ser Jorah? Considering how often the trope of The Bear and the Maiden Fair comes up in the book, it seems quite a fitting coupling, and as he's stuck it out this long I'm pretty sure he'll end up as one of the dragon riders at least (probably with Tyrion being the other one). Daario just seems like a bit of an arsey gobshite in both series and book, and I can't see the Danaharis romance being particularly popular with fans of either. Ser Barristan thinks he's a prick as well, which is good enough for me.

Honestly, the only romantic future I see for Dany is once she's taken the Iron Throne through Fire & Blood, she reunites North & South by marrying her nephew, the Lord of Winterfell. OK, so he's not Lord of Winterfell yet. And neither of them know they're aunt and nephew yet. But... well, you know what I'm on about.

• Paid Members

Nah. I think she'll forgive his betrayal and accept him back into her Queen's Guard but I don't see them getting together romantically, much less him riding a dragon. I think Jon or possibly Jaime (if it turns out that Aerys was actually his real Dad, as has been hinted) would be more likely.

-Where's the best place to go online for more discussion of the books (other than here, of course)?

I visit the Westeros.org forum as well. It's all right but some of the posters seem to be absolutely nuts. There's some really shite trolling as well.

Nah. I think she'll forgive his betrayal and accept him back into her Queen's Guard but I don't see them getting together romantically, much less him riding a dragon. I think Jon or possibly Jaime (if it turns out that Aerys was actually his real Dad, as has been hinted) would be more likely.

You able to expand on this bit at all as I have never heard this rumour and can't find much about it online. Sounds interesting though

• Awards Moderator

You able to expand on this bit at all as I have never heard this rumour and can't find much about it online. Sounds interesting though

I may have missed something but aren't Jaime and Cersei twins?

• Paid Members
possibly Jaime (if it turns out that Aerys was actually his real Dad, as has been hinted) would be more likely.

That's a load of completely mad bollocks.

Where has that ever been hinted?

I think the poster meant Tyrion. Not sure on the "evidence" to go with the theory but I'm sure I've seen something along the lines of Tyrion being a secret Targ. Let's be honest though, with how pathetically shallow Dany is she's not going to romantically accept a deformed dwarf.

• Paid Members
I think the poster meant Tyrion. Not sure on the "evidence" to go with the theory but I'm sure I've seen something along the lines of Tyrion being a secret Targ. Let's be honest though, with how pathetically shallow Dany is she's not going to romantically accept a deformed dwarf.

That's a pretty big leap. Either way, I think it's bollocks. I don't think Martin would keep on reaching for the "secret Targaryen/Targaryen lovechild" motif. Depending on if you buy into the idea of Jon being the lovechild of Rhaegar and Lyanna, there's already one or two more characters with Targaryen blood in them running around than we thought at the start of AGOT, he wouldn't go for another.

• Paid Members
possibly Jaime (if it turns out that Aerys was actually his real Dad, as has been hinted) would be more likely.

That's a load of completely mad bollocks.

Where has that ever been hinted?

Maybe "hinted" was the wrong word but there's a crap load of stuff that implies that Aerys raped or otherwise coerced Joanna (their Mum). Barristan flat out tells Dany that Aerys was infatuated with her and took liberties with her at her bedding, and Aerys seemed to delight in humiliating Tywin. If he could get away with cuckholding him, you've got to think that he would. Tywin also resigned as Aery's Hand for reasons that haven't been revealed and, considering he put up with Aerys stealing his heir (by appointing Jaime to the Kingsguard) and refusing to marry Cersei to Rhaegar, you've got to think it was something pretty major.

As for the Twins, the most obvious bit in the text is when Jaime has a vision of his Mum (it's specifically stated that it's not a dream, because Jaime's only got the one hand). She's upset and says that all Tywin wanted was for his son to be a great Knight and his daughter to be Queen. Jaime says "but I am a great Knight and Cersei is the Queen" at which point Joanna starts to cry. It's hardly water tight, granted, but it's a pretty strong implication that Jaime and Cersei weren't Tywin's. What's the point of that scene otherwise?

There's also evidence of the Targaryen madness in Cersei and Joffrey ("Aerys III"), which isn't present in Tommen and Myrcella, Cersei's Aerys-like lust for wildfire which Jaime specifically says reminds him of Aerys and the amount of times they both justify their Incest with "The Targaryens did it!".

It's just a theory of course. The more popular one is that Aerys was Tyrion's Dad, and Tywin knew it which is why he never accepted him and flat out refused to give him Casterly Rock. He does have the dreams of dragons, which is a Targaryen trait but I prefer the Twins theory, if only because the implications of it (Tywin rejecting his only child, Jaime murdering his father, Robert unknowingly putting Targaryen bastards back on the Throne) seem to better fit Martin's style of utterly fucking over his characters.

there's already one or two more characters with Targaryen blood in them running around than we thought at the start of AGOT, he wouldn't go for another.

True. The story could get very convoluted, which might be why Martin's having so much trouble finishing the series I suppose. I don't believe for a second that Connington's lad is the real Aegon Targaryen though.

• Paid Members
It's just a theory of course. The more popular one is that Aerys was Tyrion's Dad, and Tywin knew it which is why he never accepted him and flat out refused to give him Casterly Rock.

Tywin never accepted Tyrion because he's a dwarf who killed his wife in childbirth. It's as simple as that. Tywin demands perfection and Tyrion is a whoremongering drunk who brings shame and embarrassment on the family name.

That theory is completely mad and insane. All these theories you keep coming out with are giving me horrible flashbacks of the old Lost thread.

• Paid Members
That theory is completely mad and insane. All these theories you keep coming out with are giving me horrible flashbacks of the old Lost thread.

It's a mad and insane series. We are after all talking about a series with a ridiculously layered history, where every non-POV character seems to have a hidden agenda or past and where even a single line can reveal shit loads.

Plus is it really as crazy as the Three Eyed Crow turning out to be Maester Aemon's Uncle, who is barely mentioned in the main series and who wants to turn Bran into a tree?

Anyway, to bring up the point I originally replied to. I don't see Jorah ever riding a Dragon. The Dragon Riders apparently have to be of Targaryen descent which would mean the riders have got to be Dany, Aegon and BloodRaven (who, again, is currently a tree) or there's going to be more people with Targaryen blood revealed.

Archived