Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumour is since the Children Of The Forest told Bran that Coldhands was "old", to them Benjen would be a drop in the ocean of time. So Coldhands is a character mentioned when telling tales of old Westeros in the way that the Three Eyed Raven is one of the Blackfyres.

• Paid Members

I say we declare this thread as a thread for people who have read all the books just to save the hassle.So SPOILERS running wild from below this very sentence:Now that the guy who plays Ilyn Payne is dead I would like Jamie's left handed sword practicing sessions moved from book 5 to season 4 and have Brienne as his teacher. It would give an interesting new aspect to their relationship as well as possibly bringing up some jealousy in Cersei towards Brienne which would be interesting. It seems like the logical and most interesting way to go. My guess is Cersei and Jamie still break up after the Purple Wedding and she still blaming Jamie for not being a proper dad to Joffrey and protecting him. Sansa goes missing after the wedding and at the end of season 4 you have Jamie giving Brienne her fancy new sword and telling her to go find Sansa.Jamie being back now also gives us the real possibility of having scenes with the whole Lannister family at once which could be brilliant.Also I read the other day that the creator/showrunners are only signed up to the season 4. I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning on doing a runner after season 4. It's going to be a right pain in the arse to sort the last 2 books into a TV series.EDIT: Also, what did that prat in the other thread spoil?

Rumour is since the Children Of The Forest told Bran that Coldhands was "old", to them Benjen would be a drop in the ocean of time. So Coldhands is a character mentioned when telling tales of old Westeros in the way that the Three Eyed Raven is one of the Blackfyres.

Yeah I don't think Benjen is Coldhands. I think he's alive north of the wall somewhere, it was likely him who left the obsidian stash that Ghost found on the fist. I also think Benjen knows Jon's true parentage.

• Moderators

Now that the guy who plays Ilyn Payne is dead I would like Jamie's left handed sword practicing sessions moved from book 5 to season 4 and have Brienne as his teacher. It would give an interesting new aspect to their relationship as well as possibly bringing up some jealousy in Cersei towards Brienne which would be interesting. It seems like the logical and most interesting way to go. My guess is Cersei and Jamie still break up after the Purple Wedding and she still blaming Jamie for not being a proper dad to Joffrey and protecting him. Sansa goes missing after the wedding and at the end of season 4 you have Jamie giving Brienne her fancy new sword and telling her to go find Sansa.

While he's not actually dead, just sadly terminally ill, I really love this idea. They have to move it right up chronologically, obviously, or it fucks up everything else Brienne needs to do, but it seems the perfect fit. In the books, he duels with Illyn because he's a bad-arse, but mainly because he can't talk* and tell anyone about it, but Brienne has his trust, so would keep quiet anyway. It gives her something to do, and when they're done, she can go about her book business.*I was really looking forwards to the clacking noise he made when he laughed :(

• Awards Moderator

Astro, it's been so long since I read the books, I had forgotten that the information in your spoilers was how those events occurred. The Jaime situation in particular is going to be interesting, I've got no idea where they'll go with that.It is a real shame about Wilko Johnson. Payne is a great character but I think I'd rather they didn't re-cast him. Speaking of which, I wonder if, now that a few more liberties are being taken in the adaptation, whether the Hound and the Mountain will get the climactic brother-brother fight I always thought they were hinting towards but that never actually happened in the books?

The Mountain/The Hound - Some people still insist that both of them are still knocking around so that could still happen! I hope The Hound is still alive, I love his character, in the books and on TV.For the record, I don't think Benjen is Coldhands either, I know the kids don't see much of his face, but they do see it so surely Bran would recognise his uncle?! I also think Benjen is still alive, he could be the guy who approachs Theon at Winterfell who threatens to kill him but decides there is a crueler fate in store for him.

• Moderators

The Mountain/The Hound - Some people still insist that both of them are still knocking around so that could still happen! I hope The Hound is still alive, I love his character, in the books and on TV.

They're both definitely still around, of a fashion. The Hound is the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle, while the Mountain has been zombified and reanimated as Robert Strong. I don't know that we'll ever get that brother vs. brother fight though. GRRM is all about subverting the tropes.

I also think Benjen is still alive, he could be the guy who approachs Theon at Winterfell who threatens to kill him but decides there is a crueler fate in store for him.

My first thought was the Blackfish, closely followed by Howland Reed. I don't think it'll be Benjen, I doubt he'd come south of the wall without stopping to let someone know he's still alive.

Archived