Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah thats lena lol i dont think she looks rough really but thats just me. its prolly the darker hair that does it, and the fact shes got tats up her right arm lol i loooove her, she really is badass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm posting in this thread rather than the other one because of book spoilers so if you dont want them dont read the spoiler bits!

What are the other book readers making of the season so far? This is the first season I've watched after reading the books and I'm really enjoying it but one thing really annoyed me this week (this week's TV and book spoilers):

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Melissandre taking Gendry. I asssume they are using him rather than Edric Storm to not introduced even more peripheral characters, but it annoyed me! It's a pretty minor thing - in the book Davos saves Edric from being sacrificed so I guess this will happen with Gendry which would leave him able to appear later and save Brienne (if that is going to be included).

Also,

did Littlefinger actually offer to take Sansa to the Vale in the book? I remember it being a massive surprise reading the book but that conversation happening on screen early in the season seemed to spoil it a bit for me. This week's ending may have saved it a little with his boat sailing off, but it's hard to guess when you know what happens.

On the whole this season has been as good as the others which is a pleasant surprise - I was a little concerned that it might be a bit slow given the size of the book but they have handled it really well. Looking forward to this week with

the bear scene(s)

and later on the

red wedding, which should be very good

What do you think will be the finale? My thoughts:

the title suggests something Dany related, but I wonder whether they will go for Joffrey's death scene and Tyrion's arrest. Might be a bit too much if they do the red wedding in the episode before though, and Joffrey's wedding could be a big opening for season 4. They could also leave a cliffhanger with the attack on the wall which will hopefully be a great battle. The last two seasons have both ended on a supernatural note (the dragons and whitewalkers) but I'm not sure what the end would be if they want to follow that trend - something with Dany & the dragons maybe or introduce Lady Stoneheart which could be great on screen but would mean Cat wasn't dead for very long? If they do that it would also mean they dont need Dondarion next season which cuts the actor/character count as well.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I can see the logic in using Gendry to replace Edric in that particular storyline. The viewer has an investment in that character and it saves them adding another body to an already bloated cast. The only thing that didn

• Paid Members

Show spoilers :

I think much like the big set piece of S2, the Red Wedding will be in the penultimate episode.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

That's confirmed, the 9th episode title is "The Rains Of Castamere."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Melisandre's line to Arya of "We will meet again" I consider a very mild spoiler for the last two books.

Book spoiler :

Consider that at the end of Dance they haven't even met once!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

George R.R Martin has already told the tv show producers the ending and a rough sketch of how things pan out for everyone at the end just in case he dies before finishing the books, so the chances are the tv show will continue at its current pace as they know what will happen at the end. Im sure I read somewhere that the next book was scheduled to be out next year

I hope it's next year! There's no confirmed date yet but GRRM did say:

I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me. The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable head start, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time ... we'll see.

Part of the book will be parts from ADWD which got bumped so hopefully it wont take the usual c.5years...

If anyone is interested, the confirmed viewpoint characters so far are:

Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Theon, Barristan Selmy, Aeron Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy, Arianne Martell.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Also on POV characters, I'm guessing

Jaimie will be one, and maybe Dany unless anything concerning her is covered through other characters (like Ser Barristan) this time. Also someone at the Wall because I probably want to know what's happened to Jon Snow more than any of the other characters at the moment!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And then a massive wait until A Dream of Spring, which I hope is released before the TV overtakes the books.

did Littlefinger actually offer to take Sansa to the Vale in the book? I remember it being a massive surprise reading the book but that conversation happening on screen early in the season seemed to spoil it a bit for me. This week's ending may have saved it a little with his boat sailing off, but it's hard to guess when you know what happens.

No it was Ser Dontos acting as his pawn.

Melisandre's line to Arya of "We will meet again" I consider a very mild spoiler for the last two books.

Her being surprised at Dondarrion being brought back also foreshadows her saving Jon Snow after his stabbing.

In 2011 GRRM said Winds of Winter should be finished in 3 years, at that point he had written about 500 pages and said the book would be about 1500, he hoped to do 500 pages a year, so hopefully it will surface some time next year,

I found Victorian Greyjoy's chapter's an absolute snoozefest in Dances with Dragon's, I hope he becomes a bit more interesting. I haven't quite finished DWD yet, so this may be answered but I wonder how much longer Arya will continue with her ninja training and when she'll return to Westoros, and more importantly, what she'll do when she gets there

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

in 2011 GRRM said Winds of Winter should be finished in 3 years, at that point he had written about 500 pages and said the book would be about 1500, he hoped to do 500 pages a year, so hopefully it will surface some time next year,

I found Victorian Greyjoy's chapter's an absolute snoozefest in Dances with Dragon's, I hope he becomes a bit more interesting. I haven't quite finished DWD yet, so this may be answered but I wonder how much longer Arya will continue with her ninja training and when she'll return to Westoros, and more importantly, what she'll do when she gets there

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Heard a lot of people say this but I couldn

• Awards Moderator
in 2011 GRRM said Winds of Winter should be finished in 3 years, at that point he had written about 500 pages and said the book would be about 1500, he hoped to do 500 pages a year, so hopefully it will surface some time next year,

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

So I finished reading ADWD on Friday, had a few days to mull it over. Over all I enjoyed it

I'm looking forward to a lot more of the Dornish in the next book, I really like them.

Sorry, still not convinced about Victorian and his 'my big bro is so mean to me, lets fuck the dusky woman, I'm gonna make the Dragon queen marry me because I have a horn I can't actually use, lets fuck the dusky woman, my bro is so mean to me' rinse, wash, repeat routine. A POV that I think I will continue to skim read.

I am really enjoying the Arya and I'm really intrigued to see what will happened to her, I do agree that they will have to cut the story down to make it work on TV otherwise it will become confusing/boring.

Any rumours/confirmation on whether Jon is alive or dead? I'm assuming he will be resurrected by Melisendre. There seems to be an increasing amount of 'he/she's dead SWERVE!11?' type finishes, they are getting a little predictable now, then again, I may be completely wrong and he might actually be dead. But I'm in agreement with whoever said that what's going on on The Wall is the area I'm most anticipating in the new book.

I hope Bran's storyline really starts to pick up too.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Archived