Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I bought season 2 on blu-ray Monday. Watching it in hi-def instead of on my laptop is bloody brilliant. The production values on this show really are spectacular. Imagine if they tried making GOT on BBC. It would be so low budget they would probably have to film the scenes beyond the Wall in the Blue Peter garden or something.

British TV drama as a whole is just so tired, dull and shit compared to the US shows. The writers and TV comissionors over here these days have got no imagination and no balls.

My boss at work has a film and TV production background, and the very first thing she said when watching a clip of GOT was the exact opposite of your post - that the production values were terrible! Basically, from her professional perspective she could tell all the cost-cutting they'd had to do on budgets - she even managed to correctly guess which countries it had been shot in because of the tax breaks! Her dismissing it like that annoyed me quite a bit, because even though I know she knows more about these things, I'd personally agree with you - I think they do a bloody good job.

She sounds like a right miserable annoying know it all cunt. And also an incorrect one. Steven Spielberg thought Transformers was a good movie so I don't give a shit what someones background is, they can still be wrong. And your boss is very very wrong. It's clear how much effort and detail they put into the sets, special effects and costumes to anyone with a brain.

And most film/TV productions film in places specifically for tax breaks. It's the whole point of there being tax breaks in the first place. Give her a slap for me.

• Awards Moderator
I bought season 2 on blu-ray Monday. Watching it in hi-def instead of on my laptop is bloody brilliant. The production values on this show really are spectacular. Imagine if they tried making GOT on BBC. It would be so low budget they would probably have to film the scenes beyond the Wall in the Blue Peter garden or something.

British TV drama as a whole is just so tired, dull and shit compared to the US shows. The writers and TV comissionors over here these days have got no imagination and no balls.

My boss at work has a film and TV production background, and the very first thing she said when watching a clip of GOT was the exact opposite of your post - that the production values were terrible! Basically, from her professional perspective she could tell all the cost-cutting they'd had to do on budgets - she even managed to correctly guess which countries it had been shot in because of the tax breaks! Her dismissing it like that annoyed me quite a bit, because even though I know she knows more about these things, I'd personally agree with you - I think they do a bloody good job.

She sounds like a right miserable annoying know it all cunt. And also an incorrect one. Steven Spielberg thought Transformers was a good movie so I don't give a shit what someones background is, they can still be wrong. And your boss is very very wrong. It's clear how much effort and detail they put into the sets, special effects and costumes to anyone with a brain.

And most film/TV productions film in places specifically for tax breaks. It's the whole point of there being tax breaks in the first place. Give her a slap for me.

It's odd, she's usually really nice, the GOT comments just came completely out of nowhere when a colleague and I were watching the tournament scenes one day (for research purposes, obviously). Right up to that moment, she'd been really excited about borrowing my season 1 box set. I can only assume she was having a bad day...

• Paid Members

Coincidentally, if you click that link just posted by suz, the first recommended video is a recap of the first two series. I haven't tried it but give it a go.

Edit: just watched it, perfect recap video that seems to cover everything in ten mins, plus it's official. Here

• Paid Members

Thanks for the heads up Goosh, I think I'll give it a miss if it gives stuff away.

By the way everyone, the Blackwater episode is on tonight. Still my favourite hour of television. Absolutely superb.

Archived