Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

I also think Benjen is still alive, he could be the guy who approachs Theon at Winterfell who threatens to kill him but decides there is a crueler fate in store for him.

My first thought was the Blackfish, closely followed by Howland Reed. I don't think it'll be Benjen, I doubt he'd come south of the wall without stopping to let someone know he's still alive.
It depends what he saw north of the wall. Also, right now is not the best time to be shouting about being a Stark. I did think of the Blackfish too, though Winterfell would be a strange place for him to go, I thought he would be heading towards The Vale rather than the depths of winter at Winterfell, which is full of enemies. He imagine he still has friends in The Vale as he spent many years there. I hadn't thought of Howland Reed...I think I may start rereading the books when I have some freetime. There seems to be lots of little clues I have missed the first time round.Astro - I had guessed that Robert Strong was The Mountain, I'm not so sure about The Hound though.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Fear not, they're auditioning for the Red Viper right now. Hopefully it's this guy.

Naveen-Andrews.jpg

The Yara stuff was the other big thing that confused me. I guess she'll just turn back at some point and head to the Kingsmoot? She's finally coming to the point where she'll have something to do, and gets shipped off somewhere else. Weird.

I also think Benjen is still alive, he could be the guy who approachs Theon at Winterfell who threatens to kill him but decides there is a crueler fate in store for him.

My first thought was the Blackfish, closely followed by Howland Reed. I don't think it'll be Benjen, I doubt he'd come south of the wall without stopping to let someone know he's still alive.
It depends what he saw north of the wall. Also, right now is not the best time to be shouting about being a Stark. I did think of the Blackfish too, though Winterfell would be a strange place for him to go, I thought he would be heading towards The Vale rather than the depths of winter at Winterfell, which is full of enemies. He imagine he still has friends in The Vale as he spent many years there. I hadn't thought of Howland Reed...I think I may start rereading the books when I have some freetime. There seems to be lots of little clues I have missed the first time round.Astro - I had guessed that Robert Strong was The Mountain, I'm not so sure about The Hound though.
Brienne's chapter gives alot of clues that the hound is the grave digger on the quiet isle. She mentions the guys size, only 5 people are described as freakishly big in the series, the Cleganes, Brienne, Hodor and Ser Duncan the tall. Then you have his horse in the stables, the horse hates everyone but Sandor and prob wouldn't have allowed someone to take him anywhere.They are also casting for Euron for next season, hopefully Victarion too.

The Mountain/The Hound - Some people still insist that both of them are still knocking around so that could still happen! I hope The Hound is still alive, I love his character, in the books and on TV.

They're both definitely still around, of a fashion. The Hound is the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle, while the Mountain has been zombified and reanimated as Robert Strong. I don't know that we'll ever get that brother vs. brother fight though. GRRM is all about subverting the tropes.
Am I right in remember it was being set up somewhat end of book 5? Robert Strong is to be Cercei's champion at her trial by combat against the religious folks, who'll need a champion. And with The Hound at the Quiet Isle that'd seem plausible.. But yes, as you said - Mr Martin does love to push against the obvious (although we could argue that with every set up plotline, there's subversion of tropes and then there's ignoring neatly set up plotlines just to make a point)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
Looking at his face, I'm going to have a punt and say Doran Martell.

It's as good a guess as any, but he seems way too young. Isn't Doran in his sixties? Late fifties at least. Most of the roles that are left seem too old. They've avoided aging people up with prosthetics so far, so I don't know, but I'd love to see Mark Gattis acting the pains of a wicked case of gout.

• Paid Members
Y'all know the Red Viper was already cast, right?

Yuuuuuup.

Face looks like he can easily pull off "cunning" and "lecherous." So without knowing anything else about the bloke, I'm going to take a punt and say "good casting."

Archived