Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

I prett much agree with you, I think we will start to get the odd spoiler in season 6 and a lot more of them in season 7. Done of the stuff from books 4 & 5 can be easily skipped over cos not a lot happens. The Dorne stuff is all new, Dany finally starts to make some moves but that doesn't happen till the end of book 5. Cersei's decent in to alcoholism should make good TV, and obviously the Jon thing it's the biggest cliffhanger and e have no idea how they will play that and if he's still alive (which I think he is) they may completely alter that storyline.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The next episode is titled "The Watchers On The Wall". So I would imagine that will be the start of Mance Rayder's attack from the north and Tormund and the raiders attack on Castle Black. I would imagine ep 10 would be Tyrion escaping, killing Tywin and Shae. The last scene of ep 10 will probably at the wall. It's the turn of ice for the ending of the series. That's the way it has gone so far, alternating between ice and fire.

• Awards Moderator
It's the turn of ice for the ending of the series. That's the way it has gone so far, alternating between ice and fire.

Christ. I can't believe I hadn't spotted that.

I'm in the "they could catch up by the end of season 5" camp. Dornish stuff - Dany gets diarrhoea - stuff with Travelling Wilbury Boatmen - Jon runs the Wall - Cersei gets egged - Sansa is pretty much up to date - reveal of Cat - Bran chats with a bird - Ramsay's wedding (another one) - Brienne wanders about a bit... anything else?

Is there a decent article - snarky or otherwise - listing all the changes from book to TV? I'm interested in some of the details they've changed.

• Moderators
I'm in the "they could catch up by the end of season 5" camp. Dornish stuff - Dany gets diarrhoea - stuff with Travelling Wilbury Boatmen - Jon runs the Wall - Cersei gets egged - Sansa is pretty much up to date - reveal of Cat - Bran chats with a bird - Ramsay's wedding (another one) - Brienne wanders about a bit... anything else?

The Krackens, Quentyn, the uprising of the Faith Militant, "Arya's" wedding and a disguised Mance, the arrival (finally) of Winter with a snowbound Stannis, Oldtown. There's tons of stuff to get through, that's worth putting on TV.

Most of this, especially the Iron Islands sections, falls into 'stuff people didn't much care for, but will clearly play a massive part in the final two books, so isn't going anywhere.' I've a feeling they held off on the Kingsmoot and introducing Victarion and co. because they'll feature more heavily in the coming seasons. I'd imagine he'll be one of the main characters going forwards, and rightly so, because he's awesome.

Tyrion's story alone couldn't cover a single season without being dramatically, shittily clipped. Arya's story will take a while too. If Bran becomes a tree, because of how he now looks 45, they might use the greenseeing as a way to show flashbacks without showing flashbacks, ie the Tower of Joy that surely is building to the biggest reveal in the series. Dany's got the Pale Mare, the Sons of the Harpy, Quentyn, the fighting pits, marrying Hizdahr, doing a poo while Selmy takes over, and a bunch more. I reckon her S4 out will be the bag of children's bones.

Remember, most characters get 5-10 minutes an episode, and sometimes don't feature at all for a week. Y'all are fucking insane if you think they're clearing two books in a single season. Even if they could, it's not going to happen. Above all else, they want to avoid catching up with the books, so they're not going to accelerate that process by a year or more when there's more than enough good material to adapt.

• Awards Moderator

The Krackens, Quentyn, the uprising of the Faith Militant, "Arya's" wedding and a disguised Mance, the arrival (finally) of Winter with a snowbound Stannis, Oldtown. There's tons of stuff to get through, that's worth putting on TV.

I'll run with your line of thought as I guess some of that stuff could have payoff we don't yet understand. I had forgotten Victarion who surely has a decent intro coming.

We are virtually up to date with Sansa though aren't we? Is she going to skip next season?

• Moderators
We are virtually up to date with Sansa though aren't we? Is she going to skip next season?

Yeah, they've caught up on her, barring all the stuff with Sweet Robin, who looks to have been written out for now (maybe because of aging? He couldn't have been better cast as a milk-sap child, but once puberty hits, that's out of the window), with no mention of his seizures, or that he's actually being slowly poisoned by the milk of the poppy that 'cures' them. No idea what's ahead for Sansa, although I'm excited to see where it goes, particularly following this week's.

I completely forgot about Victarion, probably because he booted me half to death in the books.

If they send Davos after Rickon that will surely venture in to spoiler territory quite quickly?

Sansa seems pretty up to date, I wonder of they will pressure the marriage to that Harry (I think) with her?

Dany has a lot to get in which is why I'm saying series 7 before we see lots of new stuff.

I think Tywin will snuff it in the next episode, they usually do a big death in episode 9.

• Awards Moderator
No idea what's ahead for Sansa, although I'm excited to see where it goes, particularly following this week's.

I imagine many emo's were driven into a gothwank frenzy with her Ravenesque outfit.

• Paid Members

They've already started the casting process for season 5 and Septa Unella is on the list for several episodes so Cersei is definitely getting locked up this year which to me says they are going forward in the story fairly quickly. I'm re-reading Feast and Dance now and there is SO much stuff that can be cut. Half the stuff Astro listed could and probably will be skimmed over or simplified I imagine. The Oldtown and Faith Militant could be easily done in a couple of scenes in one episode. They've covered a huge chunk of the Bolton/Reek story already. I can't imagine Quentyn getting much screen time as he dies pretty quick. A lot of Dany and Jon's chapter are just checking food stocks and discussing the various political machinations which will definitely be massively downplayed/simplified on TV. And you can't have two seasons of Jamie having military meetings with loads of new characters that aren't that important. I could go on and on. I'm not saying they won't spread it out over two seasons but if they do...they are going to have to change and add a ton of new stuff for it to be satisfying. None of the storylines even have proper conclusions or climaxes in the books, fuck knows how they're going to get away with that on TV.

• Paid Members

People keep saying "Sansa is up to date", but is she. In the books Sansa has to marry Harry The Heir because her and Littlefinger don't tell anyone who she is. With the change to her storyline from the books they can really go anywhere with her. They will probably have her marry Robyn Arryn. So the theory that she is up to date isn't that strong really.

• Paid Members

She pretty much is up to date yes. In Feast For Crows the only things she does is get pissed on and touched up by Robyn in bed, leave the castle on that rickety thing and has a few conversations with Petyr, one about marrying Harry The Heir and chats to some fat bird about knobs. It's hardly exciting stuff. There not gonna' have Robyn pissing in her bed or a ridiculously expensive scene crossing cliffs on a bridge during a storm. They are probably going to have to come up with new stuff for her to do.

• Paid Members

She can't be up to date if they are not following the books with her character, which they are clearly not. Book Sansa is one of the least interesting characters, Screen Sansa has been fairly dull up until now but by the look of it she has started to play the game.

Archived