Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

Book 3 Part 2 toward the end. Oberyn has just died, Tywin has sentenced Tyrion to death. Some stories don't run as they are in the book but Sansa is at The Vale, Lysa is dead. Arya is touring with The Hound, Pod and Brienne are looking for her. Jamie is in Kings Landing protecting Tommen who is now on the Throne. Reek is with Ramsey who has just been naturalised. Dany has taken over Mehreen. Stannis has just been to The Iron Bank. Jon is at The Wall waiting for the wildling attack and Bran is still on his trek to become a tree.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Is it just me or does anyone else find Bran Stark to be the most boring fucker ever? I'm currently halfway through A Dance with Dragons and granted he's not in it much but in all of the previous books I found his chapters a chore to get through. They all seem to be about him having weird dreams. Considering how good most of the rest of the characters are, he's just dull.

Yeah I find him dull and skim read him a lot, the only tinge I pay attention is when he is having a flash back in time i.e the Tower of Joy. I'm assuming he will be pivotal to the outline because he is pretty boring. I've found Sansa boring too, but she is starting to get more interesting as time had gone on, and at least her point of view has been relevant to the story, Bran's hasn't really most of the time.

• Paid Members

I can take or leave Sansa to be honest. Her chapters in the earlier books were quite good for the most part. Arya went downhill after the end of the third book, her chapters in book two and most of book three were among the best. Tyrion is the only character who's chapters have been consistently good.

• Paid Members
Is it just me or does anyone else find Bran Stark to be the most boring fucker ever? I'm currently halfway through A Dance with Dragons and granted he's not in it much but in all of the previous books I found his chapters a chore to get through. They all seem to be about him having weird dreams. Considering how good most of the rest of the characters are, he's just dull.

It's cause it doesn't feel like it links in to anything happening in the rest of the storyline. It's hard to give a shit about Bran talking to a tree about nothing when all other manner of craziness is going on.

One thing I'm surprised they left out of the show was the Jorah/Dany kiss...mad that they left that out.

• Paid Members
She can't be up to date if they are not following the books with her character, which they are clearly not. Book Sansa is one of the least interesting characters, Screen Sansa has been fairly dull up until now but by the look of it she has started to play the game.

They haven't made any major changes have they? The Vale Lords knowing who she is isn't a huge deal, really. It's just a quicker, more TV friendly, way of getting them on Littlefinger's side than going through all the stuff with Lyn Corbray and Lady Waynwood. It also means they don't have to arse about with Sophie Turner's hair.

Also, her potential marriage to Harry The Heir has nothing to do with keeping her identity secret. Littlefinger's plan was to marry Sansa to Robert Arryn, once he came of age. It was Cersei fucking up her alliances with Highgarden and Dorne that made him decide to speed things up, and put Harry in Robert's place. There's no reason they can't still do that.

• Paid Members

So after this weeks ep it looks like we're in for a fucking storming season finale. Apparently it's 60 minutes long too instead of the usual 50, not suprising really. I reckon we will get:

Tyrion being free'd and doing in Shae and Tywin.

Jon Snow meeting Mance leading into Stannis turning up.

A final dialogue scene with Tywin and either Cersei or Jamie that's not from the books.

Bran and co. turning up at that tree and seeing the Three-Eyed-Raven plus maybe the children of the forest. No real info will come out of it though.

The burned girl leading to two of the dragons being captured. Dany cries for a bit.

The Hound vs. Brienne - They are both heading the same way and it'll be alot more exciting that the Hound versus random goons. This leads to Arya getting the ship.

Things I don't think we'll see until next year:

Jon becoming the Lord Commander

The Brotherhood without Banners and Lady Stone Heart

Sansa, Petyr, Reek or the Boltons

I'm excited!

• Paid Members

You don't think we'll get Lady Stone Heart next week? I reckon, like the book, it'll be the closing moment in the series. A real shock, cliffhanger moment that will keep everyone anticipated for the next series. I think if they end with Tyrion and Tywin, which will undoubtedly be the ultimate 'send the crowd home happy' moment, it won't keep the viewers in anticipation as much. So I think that might be the second from last scene.

• Paid Members

I think there's a good chance we will but I wouldn't be suprised if they left it till next year. There's gonig to be so much going on in the finale they might not want to overload it. You've got 3 major character deaths as it is, a probably big CG scene with dragons, the weirdness of Bran's story, Stannis, fight scenes and then to throw Lady Stoneheart in at the end...will they have the time?

They won't have the Lady Stoneheart intro be like it is in the books with one of the Frey's because it wouldn't work. Her first scene will be with Brienne which would mean Brienne needs to be captured, the Brotherhood without Banners re-introduced and Stoneheart turn up at the end all in one episode that is already packed to the brim with huge stuff. I'm struggling to think how they can pack it all in without it feeling rushed and underwhelming. Also, there haven't been any reports of the actors who play the Brotherhood being spotted on set which makes me wonder too. I mean yeah it's possible they kept it all under wraps but in this day and age that'd be a miracle.

Also, if Brienne meets Lady Stoneheart now what does she do for the rest of season 5 until she goes to find Jamie? This would give her something to do for the first half of season 5 and they could take their time with it a bit and flesh it out more.

I'm probably going to be completely wrong though come Monday when everyone is losing their shit to Lady Stoneheart.

Not sure how they will play The Hound. The books strongly hint he's still alive when Brienne visits that monastery place so he might be involved in future books. I wonder how definitive his onscreen "death" might be.

I read a theory that he could end up as the Church's champion in a trial by combat against his zombified brother as Cersei's champion. I thought it was very unlikely to happen but a really cool idea.

• Paid Members

Book fans are kicking off big time on the internet on 2 things missing from the finale.

1) No Lady Stoneheart. As I mentioned above, I thought it was pretty obvious they wouldn't find time for this in season 4. If they've left it to season 5 I think it's a smart move as it'll give them more time to set it up properly. Shoe-horning it in to an already jam packed episode would have been a fucking mess. Although they may have cut it altogether. Michelle Fairly is starring in another TV show, she might contractually not be able to be in Game Of Thrones even for guest spots.

2) No mention of Tysha. This one I don't understand why anyone is bothered about it. It's an incredibly small detail and one they haven't gone into very much in the show. If they included this the average viewer who makes up the majority of the shows audience would most likely not be able to remember who Tysha was. Most casual viewers forgot who The Mountain was let alone someone mentioned once in season 1. People are really pissed off she wasn't mentioned...they are idiots.

This season in paticular now the writers are making chanegs (which are and going forward wil continue to be necessary) the book readers seem to be getting into a right fuss because it's not exactly how they expected it to be in their heads. It's a fucking adaption, not a word for word retelling. Really get's my goat. As long as they keep the spirit of the books and hit the major plot points I'm not bothered what change or cut out.

• Paid Members
This season in paticular now the writers are making chanegs (which are and going forward wil continue to be necessary) the book readers seem to be getting into a right fuss because it's not exactly how they expected it to be in their heads. It's a fucking adaption, not a word for word retelling. Really get's my goat. As long as they keep the spirit of the books and hit the major plot points I'm not bothered what change or cut out.

Yeah. It creates the "book knobs" mentality where we all get tarred with the same brush. I'm active in a Game of Thrones thread on another forum and like to point out after an episode has aired (without complaining, as such) what major events were different from the books, and get some positive feedback along the lines of "that sounds awesome" and people chiming in saying which version they (would have) prefer(red). From the tone in t'other thread, I wouldn't dream of doing that here.

I try to only complain when a change is highly illogical but also when it serves no purpose for changing (i.e. saving money on scenes or casting) and serves to make a character look weak, stupid or selfish that we're actually supposed to like. So, basically Robb's whole romance arc in series 2. I'm complain about that all day, if I thought anyone was listening.

2) No mention of Tysha. This one I don't understand why anyone is bothered about it. It's an incredibly small detail and one they haven't gone into very much in the show. If they included this the average viewer who makes up the majority of the shows audience would most likely not be able to remember who Tysha was. Most casual viewers forgot who The Mountain was let alone someone mentioned once in season 1. People are really pissed off she wasn't mentioned...they are idiots.

If anything, I'm happy about this because the absence of any significant mention of her in the series seems to slam the door on the possibility of any clumsy Tyrion/Tysha reunion in the final books. She's not a character I'm particularly arsed about or keen to see make an appearance, and Tyrion's constant moping about her in the later books is pretty annoying.

Archived