Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Awards Moderator

Something else I just realised from the GRRM announcement - you can take it as confirmation that after this series, the TV show will be overtaking the books. We all knew it'd happen at some point but with no Winds of Winter this year, it's going to have major implications. He's apparently told Benioff and Weiss where the story's going, but even Martin won't have thought of all the details yet.

Will book readers switch off from the series so they don't get spoiled? Will it just be a case of accepting that the books and the series become two separate things with completely different narratives? Or might they try for a year's respite and do a flashback season based on the summary of Robert's Rebellion in World Of Ice And Fire?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd be amazed if the series ever finishes. And while I like bits of the last two books I think they are going a bit off the rails. I'm glad in a way that the TV show will probably finish before the next book comes out. It's exciting and I think the show is really good at streamlining and improving some of the bloated plots.

They'll never do a year gap or a flashback season. The writers have said they'll finish in 7 seasons and that's what all the actors are contracted for.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they'll definitely overtake the books after this series. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the character story arcs get slightly ahead in season 5. They've given Bran and Hodor a year off because they've caught up already.

Sadly I think they'll be cutting Tyrion's storylines massively in this series. They can't possibly fit in everything (riding with Illyrio, sailing down the Rhoyne, Volantis, becoming a performer etc) before he inevitably ends up in Mereen- which is surely where the season concludes unless Dany's storyline moves at a ridiculously slow pace. I hope we see the Old Man of the River.

I'm hoping they're doing a bit of re-shuffling and are saving the big Greyjoystorylines for season 6 just so they aren't running out of things to include. It would at least explain their apparent absence from the forthcoming series. I think they've definitely cut Arianne Martell out of the tv series though, sadly. My guess is that Ellaria Sand will be 'replacing' her for some of her chapters. Shame, I had visions of Arianne looking beyond gorgeous.

They'll never do a year gap or a flashback season.

They also said they'd never do any flashback scenes full-stop, yet they've confirmed there will be one in the next series.

As much as I'd love a Robert's Rebellion series/feature length special, there would be a lot of characters already in the show re-cast due to age. Don't think I could handle somebody else playing Ned, Robert,Jaime etc. A feature length special of Aegon's Conquest though, I'd love that.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was the picture with Areo Hotah that it clicked with me. I'm guessing she becomes involved with the Myrcella plot instead. In the books, other than being locked in the tower at the same time as the sand snakes, she doesn't really feature at this point does she?

• Paid Members

Young Griff, Crow's Eye and Ellaria are most likely all cut. They are pretty terrible. None of those stories ever did anything for me. I'm looking forward to next season with no one knowing what will happen next. I don't get the obsession with a lot of the fanbase that the show and the books need to be as close as possible. I like that they are now their own entities and starting to diverge in big ways. I don't want the exact same thing twice.

Martin really has no excuse not to have at least the next book out. He's had 5 years since the show started but seems to do anything but write the book. He spent ages on that World of Fire and Ice book when everyone would rather of had the next one out instead.

• Paid Members

Young Griff, Crow's Eye and Ellaria are most likely all cut.

Ellaria? You mean Arianne?

Young Griff could be quite important though, even if he isn't who he is claimed to be. In the last book hadn't they reached the seven kingdoms and had taken somewhere significant? I can't quite remember, need to re-read it. I can definitely see the other Martell son being cut, though.

• Paid Members

I've pretty much stopped reading the books halfway through, I think, the third one. GRRM spent so long describing every fucking leaf in a forest the character were walking though, I couldn't take it anymore. Think I'll wait until the end of Season 4 of the HBO show and then go back and start reading from the start.

• Paid Members

Crows is a slog. But I always implore new readers to force themselves through it, because Dance is the reward at the end, and I think it's excellent.

Archived