Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
If anything, I'm happy about this because the absence of any significant mention of her in the series seems to slam the door on the possibility of any clumsy Tyrion/Tysha reunion in the final books.

I didn't entertain the thought of Tysha actually appearing in the book but I'm actually somewhat surprised by how much of the book that isn't out yet is actually being mildly spoiled by the show. For a start, Melisandre's line to Arya of "we will meet again" gives away that they will meet in a forthcoming book (since by the end of Dance they havent met once) and from tonights episode we know not to give Jojen a chance of doing anything further significant, since they killed him.

Season 5 leaked characters

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Firstly, after the recasting of Tommen this year, it looks like he's getting a new sister as well

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/17/myrce...recast-rumored/

Myrcella is older than Tommen so makes sense they'll need a new actress if she's going to feature more this year (bearing in mind we haven't seen her since she left Kings Landing in Season 2 I doubt anyone will even notice)

Other new characters will be:

Doran Martell

Trystane Martell

Areo Hotarth

The Sandsnakes (Obara, Nymeria, and Tyene)

The High Sparrow

Septa Unella

Maggy the frog

Lollys Stokeworth

Yezzan

The waif

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/23/chara...-5-new-details/

No ironborn in the list. I'm still holding out hope for the kingsmoot to be included but I can see it being cut.

Looks like this season is going to feature heavily on Cersei's meltdown with developments in Dorne and the inclusion of the High Sparrow.

• Paid Members

Not sure why we're using spoiler tags, but just in case:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I saw this list doing the rounds recently. No Arianne Martel seems a bit strange, but that could be because they've already cast her as I believe this list is going around for future castings. There's no way she isn't in the next series if the rest of the Dorne lot are surely?

Arianne, Lady Nym and Tyene should be proper hand-shandy fodder.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• 1 month later...

Shame to bump a thread with bad news, but this is quite sad:

"JJ Murphy passed away just four days after filming his first scenes for HBO series Game of Thrones.

The veteran Northern Irish actor collapsed and died suddenly on Friday (8 August), aged 86, after being cast as Ser Denys Mallister, the oldest member of the Night's Watch."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/game-of-thrones-actor-jj-murphy-dies-just-four-days-into-filming-tv-serie-9660851.html

And I put it in this thread not the TV so no-one could shout spoilers on character/casting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Following a Kristian Nairn interview recently in which he claimed Hodor and Bran would not be featuring in season 5, Esquire have posted an article of 'What we know about Season 5 so far':

There will be Season 5 spoilers in this link.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/film-tv/6969/game-of-thrones-season-5-what-we-know-so-far/

Number 2 is surprising, and something I half-wish I hadn't seen in advance, but number 5 is the most intriguing thing, particularly given the response at the end of season 4. Unless of course they're doing the JJ Abrams 'say one thing, actually do another' method of keeping it a surprise.

• Awards Moderator

Following a Kristian Nairn interview recently in which he claimed Hodor and Bran would not be featuring in season 5, Esquire have posted an article of 'What we know about Season 5 so far':

There will be Season 5 spoilers in this link.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/film-tv/6969/game-of-thrones-season-5-what-we-know-so-far/

Number 2 is surprising, and something I half-wish I hadn't seen in advance, but number 5 is the most intriguing thing, particularly given the response at the end of season 4. Unless of course they're doing the JJ Abrams 'say one thing, actually do another' method of keeping it a surprise.

The spoilers rule in here is complex now. We're about to discuss something from the books, but it is unknown how it will be handled in the series? Can we discuss this? :crazy:

To use your vernacular, the storyline is unresolved but surely #5 must be included somewhere?

I'm being deliberately vague here, but I think what they said about that a while ago was that they wouldn't ask a busy and respected actress to come back just to be wandering the forest doing nothing much at all for ages. I'm sure they'd be eager to do it if/when they have a better notion of her part going forward. Obviously we know of one huge thing that happens with her, but it wouldn't be a massive deal to postpone that until there's enough story beyond that to say, "hey, we want you to come back for at least this one season because we have all these cool things for you to do" instead of just one moment.

• 4 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

GRRM's publisher says no Winds Of Winter in 2015: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/brace-yourself-the-winds-of-winter-are-not-coming-in-2015#.mkGjMQ1vJ9

Did anyone get the 'World Of ice And Fire' book that came out towards the end of last year? It's a great read, brilliant reading the history of the world he's created - the rise and fall of Valyria, the stories of Aegon the Conqueror, the Long Night gets a mention, areas like Asshai and Sothoryos, loads of information that doesn't bear much relevance to the story he's telling in the novels but is fascinating to read about anyway. My only criticism is that there's not enough about the Night's Watch in there, but if you're keen on Targaryens it's a must-have.

• Paid Members

That was inevitable, lazy git.

I got it for Christmas HG, it's brilliant. I'm a sucker for the history of ASOIAF. I was a bit disappointed there's little on Slavers Bay, though. Very little on the old Giscari Empire in fact.

GRRM has created such a vast (and growing) world that I'd love him to give the rights for other writers to write some books set in other locations of the known world. I can't imagine him being able to write many more books, if any, after this one.

• Awards Moderator

I'd love some sort of 'Stories from the Wall' collection. I can kind of get why there's not much about the Watch in World Of..., because I suppose the 'author' has been drawing from lots of old maester's histories, and presumably all the NW maesters keep their chronicles up at Castle Black so the 'author' hasn't had much access to them, but it's still a shame.

However, on the flip side there's so much in the book that's really good to read that I hadn't thought I was previously interested in, so it more or less balances out!

Archived