Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

I'm partly with you on Boardwalk Empire. It's beautifully written, shot, acted in the main.. but it's a touch soulless. If there was never another series I'd not miss it, but as there is a 3rd series I'll download it and watch it.-

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

The Nucky thing is an odd one. He's clearly meant to be the main character, but as Seven alludes to, didn't particularly feel like it, in my mind, until at least the second season. Byproduct of it being such an ensemble probably, but possibly because it's such a gangster-y world, that he didn't really commit to until the close of S2 (the whole "You can't be half a gangster" thing). Since he crossed that line, Nucky's become a lot less likeable, but way more interesting. Plus, Richard Harrow is the most fascinating character of the decade, and most other shows would have latched on to his popularity and overplayed it.

Margaret can fuck off though.

• Paid Members

Yeah Margaret (like almost every female character in all the big US TV shows) is a massive pain in the arse. In fact I'd say GOT is one of the few shows where all the female characters are actually interesting and likeable. So kudos to them for that. You don't see Skylar, Ava Crowder, Lori Grimes etc. getting anything like the love of Arya Stark from their respective fan bases.

• Paid Members

I fucking hate Margaret, shit character that annoys the hell out of me. Slows things down to a terrible pace but without the interesting dialogue to boot.

But everyone that has said about Boardwalk coming alive with each series are dead right. Series 1 started well then dulled down toward the end of the series. Series 2 picked up brilliantly around halfway through and the third series was just brilliant from start to finish. Really found it's form in the last series. As I mentioned before, there is already a brilliant backbone to the story with the real life La Cosa Nostra history, which is still barely getting started in the series compared to what is to come with Luciano, Capone etc.

• Paid Members

I bought season 2 on blu-ray Monday. Watching it in hi-def instead of on my laptop is bloody brilliant. The production values on this show really are spectacular. Imagine if they tried making GOT on BBC. It would be so low budget they would probably have to film the scenes beyond the Wall in the Blue Peter garden or something.

British TV drama as a whole is just so tired, dull and shit compared to the US shows. The writers and TV comissionors over here these days have got no imagination and no balls.

• Paid Members
In fact I'd say GOT is one of the few shows where all the female characters are actually interesting and likeable.

Even Sansa?

• Moderators
In fact I'd say GOT is one of the few shows where all the female characters are actually interesting and likeable.

Even Sansa?

Sansa represents all the cliches and conventions of fantasy, seeing the world in all the fantasy fairytale stuff GRRM subverts at every turn. At least, until Joff got hold of her. That's interesting, at least.

• Awards Moderator
I bought season 2 on blu-ray Monday. Watching it in hi-def instead of on my laptop is bloody brilliant. The production values on this show really are spectacular. Imagine if they tried making GOT on BBC. It would be so low budget they would probably have to film the scenes beyond the Wall in the Blue Peter garden or something.

British TV drama as a whole is just so tired, dull and shit compared to the US shows. The writers and TV comissionors over here these days have got no imagination and no balls.

My boss at work has a film and TV production background, and the very first thing she said when watching a clip of GOT was the exact opposite of your post - that the production values were terrible! Basically, from her professional perspective she could tell all the cost-cutting they'd had to do on budgets - she even managed to correctly guess which countries it had been shot in because of the tax breaks! Her dismissing it like that annoyed me quite a bit, because even though I know she knows more about these things, I'd personally agree with you - I think they do a bloody good job.

I know what you mean about British and American shows, too. Other than Doctor Who, there's very little happening in Britain that I'm watching. I liked Blandings, I suppose, but the only other drama/comedy I've had a go with this year was Ripper Street, and that didn't really grab me despite Jerome Flynn doing a fin de si

Didn't I read on here that the budget for Game Of Thrones per season uses most of it, or a lot of it for one huge set piece? That that big battle thing in the last one? The one with the green fire and that?

Pardon my lack of proper explanation. I sort of gave up on Game Of Thrones.

• Paid Members

I'm sure I read that a lot of the budget went on the CGI, so the wildfire for the Battle at Blackwater, and the dragons during Season 2, and that's why we rarely saw the dragons during most episodes.

It still looks bloody good, regardless of the budget.

As a side note, I showed my Year 9 class a picture of Tyrion from one of the promo shots for this season, and their response was "dirty." I then showed them a picture of Dany, and their response was "MUNTAAAAAAA". I despair.

They hid it well, but the lack of budget annoyed me at times, as I've said before. The battles were always happening off screen, you saw a lot of camps and tents, and not enough decent castles and battles.

Mind you, the books are clearly more interested in the politics than the battles, so I guess that's justified. GRRM is certainly no David Gemmell when it comes to visceral descriptions of action.

This is true - I just finished my PhD thesis on American high-end crime drama, so I'm a huge fan of the stuff. Mind you, I prefer a lot of the European shows to both at the moment. The Killing and Wallander got me started on it, but I'm loving the current series of Spiral right now and Braquo, despite being a more far-fetched version of The Shield, is probably my favourite thing on TV in the last couple of years.

• Moderators
They hid it well, but the lack of budget annoyed me at times, as I've said before. The battles were always happening off screen, you saw a lot of camps and tents, and not enough decent castles and battles.

Mind you, the books are clearly more interested in the politics than the battles, so I guess that's justified. GRRM is certainly no David Gemmell when it comes to visceral descriptions of action.

I'm glad for this, personally. Battles all the time would bore me but this way they're saved as something special.

Archived