NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Nah, Ciampa is out for a long time yet. I'll be suprised if he is back by the end of the year. I hope that music that played at the end of Gargano's promo isn't his new theme. Nothing strikes fear into an opponent quite like a Paramore-knockoff. He is a strong babyface though and I can see him having a run at the belt against a heel champion, and on his return have Ciampa cost him the win.

The tag title match was really good considering the guys that were involved. As was said earlier, AoP have come along way since debuting last year and Heavy Machinery are a enjoyable double act, but both teams are still very green. But this is the developmental league after all, and both teams put in a great effort.

I felt sorry for the two performers in the Mae Young qualifier. Neither got any sort of reaction from the crowd on their entrances, and they weren't given any sort of time to really showcase themselves once the bell rang either 

Ive only ever seen Bobby Fish a handful of times so I'm not overly familiar with him, but he put in a good shift against Aliester Black, who is starting to grow on me with his longer matches. He does need to stop doing that 'springboard into sitting cross-legged' pose every match though

Yeah. Give Gargano some crashing heavy metal, and have him strike fear into the hearts of his opponents when he emerges on the ramp with his 5-foot-something frame, wearing his black PE vest with an emoji sticker slapped on it.

On 6/29/2017 at 7:06 PM, The Dart said:

Doesn't make sense.  Surely the morons think he should be main eventing Mania against Nakamura, not being released.  If he was a former football player, then their opinion would be correct for their kind.  If Oney Lorcan breaks former football player's nose, it's the football player's fault, but if football player breaks Oney Lorcan's nose, it'd be the football player's fault too.  Maybe Itami and Lorcan both being internet wrestlers has confused them and they don't know what to think.  They also haven't had their chance to explain to the casual fans yet that he did the GTS first, so I don't know why they'd want him gone.

What's an internet wrestler?

Asuka's getting hotter and hotter, right?

Having a bit of Tyler/Dunne withdrawal. Were they on any of these tapings?

Surely it's inevitable that Aleister Black fucks up that moonsault one day and either looks like a complete buffoon live on a Takeover or seriously hurts himself? Why do three in a match just to increase that risk?

Where's Eric Young?

Both no1 contender matches were quality and well worth tuning in for. I'm liking the character development across the board, nice to see them doing something with Andrade and Itami's bad attitude really suits him. 

Lorcan is entertaining but he really needs to calm down a bit, doesn't he ?

I know we mentioned in the RAW thread after The Drifter cut open open Balor, purely by accident of course, but that two people is as many matches that Oney Lorcan has messed up. I'm sure he isn't doing it on purpose and accidents happen and all, but he really does need to calm it down a bit in general.

Great opener and the main event was good, but I don't think it was ever in doubt that Drew was winning that one.

No Way Jose foiled by the ringrope forcefield stopping him giving  Almas a pasting, babyfaces really act daft sometimes.

And "1...2...SWEET", it was mildly amusing the first time it happened around Mania time, you expect stuff like that. 4 months on, it's just infuriating. That and "women's wrestling! Clap clap clapclapclap..."

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I know we mentioned in the RAW thread after The Drifter cut open open Balor, purely by accident of course, but that two people is as many matches that Oney Lorcan has messed up. I'm sure he isn't doing it on purpose and accidents happen and all, but he really does need to calm it down a bit in general.

Great opener and the main event was good, but I don't think it was ever in doubt that Drew was winning that one.

No Way Jose foiled by the ringrope forcefield stopping him giving  Almas a pasting, babyfaces really act daft sometimes.

And "1...2...SWEET", it was mildly amusing the first time it happened around Mania time, you expect stuff like that. 4 months on, it's just infuriating. That and "women's wrestling! Clap clap clapclapclap..."

What is that “1… 2… Sweeet!” all about? Is it a nod to the nWo catchphrase?

I feel terrible that my tin ear mishears the line in Ember's intro as "Ember is the fat one", because she's scrummy, like Nidia if she did squats.

Competition angles bore me though. When two opponents can't put each other away without a long history and poor quality vignettes like that faceoff at training, it looks to me they're both as bad as each other rather than elevating each other.

Lorcan's a head case, fun but stuff like twatting opponents can't look good for him to the higher-ups. I imagine Burch being Burch would have given him the all clear to lay it in a bit, but busting people open two matches in a row isn't good. In my fantasy booking mind, this could be an angle, where he's deliberately trying to cave people's faces in so they're ugly like him, like an angry version of Broken Cody (they really should've made more of his bare knees making his kneedrops absolutely killer). But unless you actually start taking guys off the shows to sell it, it'll just end up being forgotten, even if it's midcard waffle.

Drew is sexy. Dain is big. Good stuff. I now want to see the two of them tagging in the next Dusty Cup. Fucking imagine.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members

NXT seem to like to book at least one really hard-hitting match per show these days - McIntyre had some absolute corkers early on, and Itami's roughed up a couple of jobbers too.

If they just stick with Lorcan in that role, fighting other double-hard mad bastards happy to take it, I can't see it being a problem. But you don't get booked against John Cena when you're doing anything half as mental as that uppercut that bust Burch up.

It's not just his offence, though, his bumps are absolutely bonkers - the way he took the powerbomb from Burch was actually scary, and in his match with Itami, he took a couple of Go 2 Sleeps, each taken more preposterously than the last. But it makes his matches look a little more believable, and a little more rough around the edges, which is no bad thing so long as no one's getting injured.

I'd been saying for months that I couldn't see much upside for him as a singles guy, but that I could see him as a good straight man in an odd couple tag team. I'll adjust that idea and say that I can also get behind him and Burch teaming up and just being nasty bastards.

• Awards Moderator

I'd come around to Lorcan a bit recently, but I'm kind of going off him again - his recent matches have gone beyond the thrill of watching double-hard mad bastards smacking each other and more into 'fuck, that could have really injured him' taking-you-out-of-the-match territory for me. He's either a phenomenal worker who makes it look like everything he does would fuck you up, or he's a terrible worker who can't understand you're not meant to actually hit the other guy as hard as you can. If he's the former then I'll happily be wrong, but if he needs to be smacking people and busting them open for real every match to get over then I don't see much value in him.

He is a really interesting case Lorcan, there is something endearing about him, he's definitely a bit loopy. You can tell he gets into a "zone" before Wrestling, he literally bursts through the curtain and the look on his mug is like "This is fucking war let's go" as he storms to the ring looking like the last thing he did was a line of speed off the table in guerrilla.

He is very lucky he is in an era where I'd say a good percentage of the roster are happy to engage him in this you twat me, I will twat you style, they like to rough each other up. Imagine Oney Lorcan vs The Honky Tonk Man. That pre match chat would last about 45 seconds, consisting of Honky going "No kid we aint doing that".

Edited by Ambulance Chaser