NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Loki said:

Surely the rules for a cage match should be... if you leave the cage before a pinfall or submission, you lose? Ā That way the heel can be desperate to leave as they are chicken and the face gets to hammer them and get a clean pin.

Seen that done before, and it works really well. WAW have done it with their cage matches.

What always upsets me irrationally is when the ring announcer goes "The ONLY way to win is..." then lists 4 distinct ways of winning the match, which is just about as many different ways there usually isĀ of winning any kind of match.

These two weeks of NXT have been excellent in my book. I even watched some of last weeks twice! So many talking points, much of which has been covered.

Dylan Miley and Dozovich (not on these shows I know) have to be two of my favorite shaped wrestlers of all time. Expecting massive things a few years down the line.

It took about 4 seconds to rebuildĀ Itami.

Liv Morgan is a strange colour.

So many unknowns standing on that stage for Nakamuras' sendoff. But the same 4 women we always see in that tag match. I can't really see what will be achieved with Aaliyah. Especially since they've binned two awesome entrance themes for her already. It's time for Berenato and Rose!

Sanity are in desperate need of those tag belts in my opinion. Otherwise they are just a few hairy shitarses (not Young). They've kind of booked themselves into a corner though with AoP being the champs and Heavy Machinery on the rise.

Drew won't be down here too long. Looks like he's going to smash through some high level talent and head off to SD in a few months. I don't see the point of putting the belt on him and prolonging it.

I think they could do a pretty nifty UK Guys Vs Cruiserweight feud over on 205 Live (like an Invasion - I thought they were teasing it when they brought them all out on the stage a few weeks ago) and I certainly approve of UK Title defences on NXT. I pondered whether Neville might steal the UK title at some point and be a double champ before AA takes one of those belts. I have no issue with Aries being the UK champion for a short term especially with regards to bumping up interest in future tapings over here.

Apparently Drew has only signed a 1 year deal. Maybe it's a case of both parties keeping their options open when they negotiated with WWE reluctant to sign a guy for multiple years (not that they couldn't just release him) and Drew maybe keeping it short in case they don't book him well/enough. If things do go well I'd expect the deal to be extended

What a brilliant episode of NXT that was.

A great showcase of Black - I think I'm starting to get there with him, he got his shit in on a big fucker and looked sharp as a tack.

Drew being a fucking beast again, boy is he on top of his game, he has it nailed down. Slightly down on Cien losing as I think he has a lot to offer but I guess if Drew is to climb the ranks he has got to be progressive in the calibre of people he beats.

Excellent video package feature on Roddy Strong, that did more to establish just who he is and what he is fighting for than anything in the last probably 12 years I have been watching him. A cracking idea, kudos to whoever it was that came up with that and put it together, they clearly realise they have a good worker on their hands but need to flesh him out a bit, looking forward to next week's part 2.

Finally a really good main event between Bate and Gallagher, I literally could watch that all day, wished it had gone longer. Bate has something special about him.

Buzzing after this show.

Edited by Ambulance Chaser

• Paid Members

I do really like Black's music, as a wrestling entrance theme. It's not the kind of music I listen to but I think it's very good for him. I like his entrance, look, mannerisms and he has a good aura about him. I'm definitely interested in seeing him at the moment.

Ā 

Yeah this was a great episodeĀ 

Vaguely followed Roddys career for a while and knew nothing of his background. Fascinating stuff. That kind of insight is vital here for a guy like himĀ 

I think what they're doing with Almas is absolutely brilliant even though he's not picking up the W's. In every major sport you have several cases of guys coasting, more concerned about the lifestyle than working to be the best athlete they can be. Never seen it done in wrestling before and I think it's a terrific idea

Drew looks excellent. Really dig the new theme. It's like a Scottish twist on Sheamus' theme and really suits him. So much better than the wanky non-descript alt-rock he (and everyone else in the company from 2010-2013) had before.Ā 

Black looking very good when I didn't know what to make of him at first. That finisher should get over big time.Ā 

Not bothered about Ruby Riot but fun pull apart brawls with Cross. looking forward to the women's battle royal. Asuka's reaction to Regal telling her that was amazing

Gallagher and Bate was an absolute joy. Wonderful stuff. I'm so excited to see what the weekly UK show is gonna be like. Appreciated Peter being the misery guts at the end. Dunne and Bate will be printing money in no time.Ā 

Edited by sj5522

6 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Ā 

I think what they're doing with Almas is absolutely brilliant even though he's not picking up the W's. In every major sport you have several cases of guys coasting, more concerned about the lifestyle than working to be the best athlete they can be. Never seen it done in wrestling before and I think it's a terrific idea

Ā 

That is a good point actually, I kinda forgot they were doing the whole he isn't focused because he is out partying thing, so I guess it makes perfect sense that he can handle the lesser guys but not your Drew's or the upper echelon. You are bang on there.

• Awards Moderator

Loved that main event between Bate and Gallagher. I'd be quite happy if they decided to shift Gallagher over to the UK show when it starts - he could add something differentĀ there much like he did in the first few months of the Cruiserweight division.

Enjoyed McIntyre-Almas as well. Just wish both matches had gone longer - I wanted more!

Crowd were a bit quiet for this week but guess its due to block tapings.

Drew doing great, really looks like he has a point to prove/chip on his shoulder (in a good way)

Black looking great too, unique look and style, the brutal squashes are perfect for him, should've maybe started with that at Takeover Orlando and faced Almas at Takeover Chicago with a bit more story to it but hey ho.

NXT seems to have rebounded from the call ups better and quickerĀ this time than the draft which is great.

For Summerslam Takeover I'd build to Roode vs Black or Drew (if he stays in nxt awhile)Ā 

46 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Seems they've already tired of Kassius Ohno - wasn't he meant for a programme with Roode?Ā 

He seems to be an afterthought already.

Don't think that's entirely accurate. If they go straight to the Ohno programme, where else does that leave them? There's Drew... and no-one else? It's not a bad idea to save some of the bigger names for later title matches. Especially if Roode or Itami get moved up.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say no to a McIntyre/Ohno program at some point. Two big lads knocking seven shades out of each other tends to make for a good match. Would make for a good Triple Threat with Roode at a future Takeover, actually, have him chicken out for most of the match and pick up a cheap win over one of them for the finish.