NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I enjoyed it but I never got "into" it aside from the tag match. Crowd were fucking abysmal all night, the highlight being when they were in-fighting like brainless idiots chanting at each other and completely missed the finish to the Aleister Black match. If half of them are showing up at Wrestlemania it's going to be a long 6 hours.

Felt bad for Nigel McGuinness calling NXT Ring of Honor by mistake. Long silence after that, I can imagine shit being blasted right into his ears for it.

Pretty good show, id say every match delivered or surpassed expectationsĀ 

Good opener, well paced. Ohno's gear was a lot better. Dain's physique is flawless, fuck off.Ā 

Not sure what to think about Aleister Black yet, but cool entrance and a decent match. Nigel made a fucking hilarious screw up when he said Black could really make a big impact "here in Ring Of Honor"Ā 

Tag match was cracking, especially while all 3 teams were still in. Astoundingly good stuff. I like the AOP. they're green as grass but can be carried to looking amazing. Their entrance gear was badass.Ā 

Glad Asuka retained. Ember needs to show more character value for me and that cheeky finish could bring it out of her. She's good in the ring tho and this was probably the best NXT women's title match in a decent while.Ā 

Really got into the main event in the end. I've been pleasantly surprised by the chemistry Roode and Naka have.Ā 

Edited by sj5522

Also watched the pre show and Peyton & Billie are brilliant. Just a couple of proper high school bitchesĀ 

They need to join up with Not Emmalina ASAP, with Emma in the head bully role. They could do some great stuff with Bayley, I'd rather see that than some crowbar'd programme with Sasha right now

If anything on Wrestlemania touches that tag team match I'll be delighted. It was just brilliant. The story was beautiful, the action creative and every team came out looking like champs. When I first caught a glimpse of AoP I assumed they'd be a couple of big, boring lummoxes, but they've been a huge booking success as far as I'm concerned. I liked their match with DIY at the last Takeover and this one was even better. Maybe there's not a ton of depth in that division right now, but what they're doing with what they've got is fantastic.

And while Nigel admittedly seems poor in comparison to Graves, surely Percy Watson can't have long left trying his hand at this. He is so bad. It's not just that what he says is rarely of any interest, it's that he doesn't seem to understand his whole reason to be there is to enhance the drama and put the people and the action over. There was a part near the end of the Roode/Nakamura match where, with Nakamura laid out and looking hurt and exhausted, Nigel said something like, "I don't think Nakamura could take another one of Roode's DDT's!" and Percy was like, "Nah, I think he could, he's very tough". That seemed ridiculous to me. All my wrestling instincts say that, in that situation, you say, "you might be right, Nigel, Nakamura looks hurt and exhausted... but so does Roode! One Kinshasha and it'd be over for Roode too!". I don't know. It's not great listening at the moment, that booth.

The booking of AoP has been excellent. A shining example of how to accentuate the strengths and hide the weaknesses of a worker. Two massive, brutish guys who look hard as nails, a good mouthpiece in Ellering and excellent wrestlers in DIY/Revival to lead the match and bump around them.

Only watched the Tag Title match and Black's debut. What is it with WWE having all of their new talent come in and wrestle the exact same style of match? Instead of letting Black kick through Almas in about five minutes, he works the exact same back-and-forth match that all of their debuting guys work. They did it with Almas when he first came up, they did it with Ohno, they did it with Roode. I'm not saying Black should squash Almas, but if you really want to get over the point of being this dangerous as fuck guy, you could make him look a bit stronger.

About the finish to the main event: what did the "tornado" aspect of that tornado implant DDT add to the move's impact? Roode still had to lift him up after his own feet hit theĀ mat, so the final downward momentum was exactly the same. And it wasn't as if Roode got caught on the middle rope and had to escape into that move - he'd set it up that way. Very odd.

I'll echo the praise for the three-wayĀ tag match though, in particular. And the new belts that I saw (didn't catch a glimpse of the tag ones)Ā look decent enough.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

Asuka Vs Ember moon was good; I <3 Asuka though. Ā The Sanity match was great ... always loved Eric Young, while Dane, Wolf & Cross are really growing on me. Ā The other fluff was forgettable. Ā Apart from Roode/Nakamura ... still prefer the Roode entrance to Nakamura ... WAY more dramatic. Ā Hell of a better character too. Ā Nakamura sucks balls.

Ā 

7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Fucking Nigel after a replay of Asuka blatantly pushing the ref into the ropes - "I don't know if that was intentional or not". Well if heĀ can't work that out, he shouldn't be allowed outside unsupervised

Assuming the plan is for an Asuka vs Ember Moon rematch at the Summerslam weekend Takeover, you'd think that everyone concerned would be clued into the finish beforehand so the commentators know they are supposed to be selling Asuka cheating. So fuck knows what Nigel is playing at really. Obviously one of the main points of emphasis they were told to get across repeatedly was it being the start a new era for NXT. Of course clueless Nigel chooses to emphasise that point right as Asuka is celebrating her win and holding her title for a year, give or take a day or three.Ā 

I enjoyed the show. I've never paidĀ much attention to Dillinger's entrance before, but his Ming the Merciless collar looks ridiculous. Opener was decent enough. Don't know whether Ohno has lost plenty of weight since the last tapings or his new costume doesn't emphasise his gut as much or a bit of both. Strong was as dull as ever, but hisĀ blandness is covered up well in an eight person tag match. Tag titles match was great.Ā Ciampa's beard and bald head annoy me though. Women's title match suffered from crowd indifference for the most part. You'd think when Ember Moon was in the Asuka lock the crowd would be encouraging her not to tap and to get to the ropes or something, but the crowd barely reacted at all. Ho-hum. Didn't understand why they bothered with the pianos before Roode's entrance. I wasn't expecting to like the match as I wasn't convinced how well their styles would mesh together, but I was pleasantly surprised. Main bugbear was the word "belt" being on WWE's list of word's never to be said even when the context requires it to be used. They weren't new titles or championships, they were new belts and their refusal to say so was almost as bad as Nigel a few weeks ago when he referred to Manami Toyota as a "sports entertainer", since the dreaded w-word is banned too. Despite the name of their biggest show of the year, go figure...

Edited by Tamura

That might be my favourite Nakamura match since he came to WWE, need to re-watch it at some point down the road but I really enjoyed that, the pacing, the story. Roode looked a million dollars.

Tag match 3 way was good, if I thought a little TOO chaotic - if that's the right word.

Weren't overly enthused by Black's debut, even less enthused that they fed him Andrade who has been really good on TV lately, just fucking give him a jobber.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Ā 

Only watched the Tag Title match and Black's debut. What is it with WWE having all of their new talent come in and wrestle the exact same style of match? Instead of letting Black kick through Almas in about five minutes, he works the exact same back-and-forth match that all of their debuting guys work. They did it with Almas when he first came up, they did it with Ohno, they did it with Roode. I'm not saying Black should squash Almas, but if you really want to get over the point of being this dangerous as fuck guy, you could make him look a bit stronger.

I thought the same, Black appeared to be on the recieving end for 75% of the match too, wasn't a great debut. 10 years ago a guy throwing kicks like that would have been great but they are dime-a-dozen now, outside of the tattoo's he's pretty generic.

That tag title match was fantastic, my favorite spot was Dawson and Gargano doing DIY's Knee/Kick combo on I think Akam then Ciampa and Dash doing the Shatter Machine on Razar.Ā 

What's everyone's take on the new look titles? Personally I love them, with the slight edge going to the Tag BeltsĀ 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

About the finish to the main event: what did the "tornado" aspect of that tornado implant DDT add to the move's impact? Roode still had to lift him up after his own feet hit theĀ mat, so the final downward momentum was exactly the same. And it wasn't as if Roode got caught on the middle rope and had to escape into that move - he'd set it up that way. Very odd.

Ā 

It was more that the momentum of the "tornado" allowed Roode to carry out the move asĀ he didn't seem to have it in him to do it before that.