NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

the booking of Charlotte on Raw two weeks ago? What the fuck was that?

Rookie developmental wrestler loses a competitive match against the long-serving established main roster veteran? I've seen so many people throw their toys out of the pram about this recently that it's winding me up now. Charlotte got a little bit of spotlight on Raw, looked good and was caught out by a flash finish by the more experienced wrestler. It's a simple, logical story that. Would have been better if they did Natalya & Charlotte vs Sasha & Paige though.

Sorry for not being up to date, but what's this about strained relations between Vince and Trips?  I'd assumed that Hunter was given NXT to hone his skills before taking over the main shows, and that Vince was all in favour of that.  The thing I never got was how different HHH and Steph's vision for the business seemed to be.

the booking of Charlotte on Raw two weeks ago? What the fuck was that?

Rookie developmental wrestler loses a competitive match against the long-serving established main roster veteran? I've seen so many people throw their toys out of the pram about this recently that it's winding me up now. Charlotte got a little bit of spotlight on Raw, looked good and was caught out by a flash finish by the more experienced wrestler. It's a simple, logical story that. Would have been better if they did Natalya & Charlotte vs Sasha & Paige though.

I think it's not so much the fact she lost, its:

- Charlotte had previously beaten Natalya in a highly competitive match to become champion. Having her lose so quick overshadowed that.

- Natalya is in storyline limbo, whilst Charlotte was suppose to be built up for her match vs Sasha Banks at NXT takeover. By losing it said "these nxt girls are shit... Pay $9.99 to watch them."

- Natalya is not a top tier Diva currently. If she had to lose it would of made better sense to lose to a Bella or AJ Lee.

Overall it just didn't make sense. At least not to me. Personally I feel it would of been better if:

a) Charlotte won.

b) Sasha Banks made an appearance, causing Charlotte to lose OR have her interference backfire and allow the savvy Charlotte to overcome the odds and win.

c) Have Tyson Kidd do something that caused Natalya to lose.

Basically... something that kept Charlotte stronger and progressed a storyline.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

Yeh, The Wyatts and The Shield haven't got shit thanks to Vince.

I enjoyed how this point got ignored for the sake of moaning about a throwaway divas match on Raw.

Edit: Why do the bigger NXT names not seem to wrestle on the house shows anymore? The main event on one this weekend was Kalisto, Enzo and Cass vs CJ Parker and the Vaudevillains (although Owens was there and did a promo).

I know Zayn and Neville are often on the main roster house shows... Is it purely that the smaller venue shows are kind of pointless for the guys who did loads of that on the indies, and others need the experience more? Or something to do with pay? Itami in particular could probably benefit a lot from doing as many matches as possible.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I imagine the NXT house shows are to give the rest of the roster experience. Whilst the likes of Enzo and Cass seem to be on the TV show every week, you can go weeks without seeing someone like say, Alexa Bliss. I think I've only seen her twice in the 2–3 months I've been watching NXT week in, week out.

• Paid Members

Re: the Charlotte loss on Raw a few weeks ago, i think this is a clever angle. Have an NXT wrestler have a match with a main roster talent every few weeks with the main talent going over in competitive matches until an NXT wrestler wins giving it a kind of 123 Kid moment.

So the up-and-comers are only good enough to get a flash-in-a-pan victory every once in a blue moon? That makes them look weaker that losing in a competitive contest with a main roster talent.

Edited by Your Fight Site

Triple H's view on the situation - quite interesting interview posted on DigitalSpy carried out just before R-Evolution, other topics covered include William Regal, convincing Vince to put NXT stars on Raw, Adam Rose, promos etc. Not letting me post a link to the entire thing but easy enough to find.

On NXT champ Charlotte losing to Natalya in two minutes on Raw

"One of the difficult things about live programming is that it's live! Times are crunched, times are tweaked. Having been in a million different things going on that night, I can't speak to the exact amount of time that they were given or had, but the show was in flux, it's live.

"I know they were given more time than that, but by the time they get there, things go over, things get crunched. We have a lot of responsibilities to make within that show... commercials. We can't just throw things on the air and they are what they are.

"Would we have preferred to give them more time? Hell, I'd have loved to have given them the time I gave them at the NXT special and be able to showcase what they do.

"As far as the decision of who went over - Nattie or Charlotte or anything like that - those decisions are heavily debated and made. It is what it is

"At the end of the day, for me it's about promotion. When you look at what they have done in NXT and every place else, the amount of people that will see them there compared to the amount of people that will see them on Monday Night Raw with the whole world watching, the difference is mind-boggling.

"Just for them to be exposed in that vein is massive. A lot of people going, 'Oh, it was her debut' and all those things. It was in some way, but it's not like she's going to be there next week.

"By the time she's back on Raw and ready to be competing on Raw on a regular basis and performing on Raw, you'll see a different Charlotte and you'll see it presented in a different way. It was really just exposure.

"As far as what the outcome was, that can be debated. It is what it is. I put out a picture afterwards of she and I afterwards, because she was so emotional when she came back.

"It was just such a positive for everybody involved. For Nattie, for her, they were so excited about the opportunity and just getting to do it and do it in the way they did.

"You can go back and pick apart bits and pieces of it all. But when you overall look at it in the bigger plan six months from now, a year from now, two years from now, whenever it is, no-one's going to go, 'They killed her on her debut'. The bigger picture is involved."

Edited by burchybabi

• Paid Members

That wasn't an interview with Digital Spy, it's notes from the conference call (which someone from DS was on). He all but says he knows it was bad but distances himself from it. You can say it wasn't her proper debut, but her losing like that served no purpose at all as a one off either. Like Pitcos said, you should just be avoiding doing those matches at all while you're still keeping her in Developmental. Wait until her real call-up to put her on Raw and then do it properly. If she's losing matches in 3 minutes right away then, then you have a problem.

Edited by Benno

Re: the Charlotte loss on Raw a few weeks ago, i think this is a clever angle. Have an NXT wrestler have a match with a main roster talent every few weeks with the main talent going over in competitive matches until an NXT wrestler wins giving it a kind of 123 Kid moment.

So the up-and-comers are only good enough to get a flash-in-a-pan victory every once in a blue moon? That makes them look weaker that losing in a competitive contest with a main roster talent.

What Pitcos said.

Also, a NXT wrestler against a Raw wrestler doesnt have the same divide in talent that Razor v Kid had, Kid was a jobber.

Edited by Fanny Pack