NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

As mentioned in this thread 12 hours ago. Although I have just realised I forgot to put the date, doh!

Another match confirmed at the tapings for the next special:

#1 contenders match: Finn Balor v Adrian Neville

Now that has the potential to be a blinder

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

LaGoosh is not the only one. I'm really wanting to like Finn Balor, but so far he's doing nothing for me. His theme tune is pretty awesome, but he looks more camp than badass to me when he prances his way to the ring in time to the music. I am aware that I am probably massively in the minority here, but even the face paint thing doesn't particularly appeal to me, because it's really nothing to do with his character and I don't like the idea of developing a character that people only look forward to seeing at the special events. When he dons the paint, his persona doesn't change- he's the same vanilla cruiserweight once the bell rings. Not that we really understand what his character is yet anyway, because the few promos he's done so far have been pretty bland and he doesn't seem the most charismatic on the stick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's shit at all- just that the presentation of the character isn't clicking with me at all right now. The matches haven't been great either, but he had it rough having to work The Ascension alongside an out-of-sorts Itami for his first programme. The Tyson Kidd match was a step up.

Edited by Arch Stanton

As mentioned in this thread 12 hours ago. Although I have just realised I forgot to put the date, doh!

Another match confirmed at the tapings for the next special:

Now that has the potential to be a blinder

totally see Owens attacking both and causing a no contest

• Paid Members

Hey, it's NXT! Voted best TV show in the world by EVERYONE!

The show started with an address by NXT Commissioner, William Regal, sitting behind his desk. He did not have a book on the go this week.

He announced that the next NXT live special would air on February 11 - three weeks away! He also said that, beginning tonight, there would be a tournament to decide the number one contender to Zayn's title! AND we are getting an NXT Women's title match!

Sami Zayn's music hit and everyone at Linus Towers began to dance. Even the cat. Tye Dillinger was already in the ring and I bet even he felt like cutting a rug.

Probably not for long though, as Sami Zayn ran down to the ring and beat the snot out of Dillinger, before the bell even rang. He then threw him out of the ring and demanded a microphone.

Zayn called out Kevin Owens, his former best friend who had turned on him at the last live special, and who attacked him again last week. Owens did not come out.

Instead, William Regal came out and wanted to know what had happened to him to act this way. Zayn said he wasn't going to fight anyone else until he got his hands on Owens, but Regal - quite rightly - said that Owens hadn't earned a title shot yet.

Zayn then asked for a non-title match, and Regal agreed that it would take place on the live special on February 11th!

After the break, Regal announced that there would be a contract signing for Zayn-Owens on next week's show. That always ends well.

Hey, it's Curtis Axel! He comes out to Mr Perfect's music, has "Better Than Perfect" on his t-shirt, and yet still doesn't use his real name. Baffling.

He's fighting Finn Balor, and this is a quarter-final match in the number one contenders' tournament. Balor does his usual (non-makeup) electrifying entrance, made a little better by VENOM! being in the crowd behind him as he crouches in the corner.

They have a match. It is okay. Axel lays it in hard, and squeezes the life out of Balor with some chokeholds. Balor kicked him a lot so Axel clotheslined the back of Balor's head. I liked that. Balor won with a combo that ended with his double foot stomp off the top rope.

You know what? Balor is very exciting from the minute he steps through the curtain until the minute the bell rings. Then his finisher is exciting. Everything in between is fine, but it's a bit ordinary. In the company of Neville, Zayn, Owens, and even Kidd, he needs something to stand out.

Backstage Devin spoke to Sasha Banks. She said she was going to beat Charlotte for the title tonight, and with Natalya not around there was no-one who could help Charlotte...

After the break, we are shown an extreme close-up of Bull Dempsey's hands. They do not look like hands that have ever done manual work. That is why Bull Dempsey sucks. Also, moobs. He said he will beat Baron Corbin next week. He said that before and he was wrong. He is a liar.

Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch come down to the ring for the NXT Women's Title match. Sasha was singing along to her theme music. Becky was just shouting random things. So Irish.

Charlotte came out to a massive reaction. I know it's only Full Sail but she is such a star.

Devin announces the title match and the referee holds up the belt and shows it to the hard-cam. I like that. Makes a title match feel special.

They lock-up after the bell. And stay locked-up. The go to the mat, switch dominance, and still stay locked-up. They then fall out of the ring and that breaks their lock-up. Good stuff.

Becky tried to attack Charlotte on the outside but the champ saw it coming and knocked her back. Back in the ring, Charlotte was on top, and Becky came in for the DQ. Sasha did not seem happy at first, but then started to beat on Charlotte and Becky joined in.

BAYLEY! ran in and made the save and ran the heels off. She got distracted by the title belt, but Charlotte snatched it off her and broke the spell. The champ turned to leave the ring and Bayley looked mad. She Belly-To-Bayley'd Charlotte and sprang to her feet, full of fury.

William Regal came out and made a title match for the next live special. It would be Charlotte versus Bayley. Versus Becky. Versus Sasha. A Fatal Four Way. Aces.

Backstage, some geek asked Kevin Owens if he could talk about facing Sami Zayn at the live special. Owens said, "do you work here?" and then told the geek he'd do all his talking in the ring next week.

Hey, it's the Vaudevillains! Jason Albert, on announcing duties tonight, told us that the Vaudevillains are doing dinosaur training, which involves squats and swinging Iranian clubs like the Iron Sheik. Of course.

They're fighting Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy, the dubstep cowboys, who did not get entrance music. The heels got the heat on Murphy, as the announcers teased dissention between everyone's favourite turn-of-the-century throwbacks.

Murphy made the hot tag to Blake, but the heels were still on top until he suckered Aidan English over to the ropes, where Buddy Murphy kicked him in the head for an upset win.

Tyler Breeze told us, via cell 'phone video, that he was going to win the NXT title. And then he would get on with his task of separating the world into super good looking people and uggos.

Backstage, the geek spoke to Blake & Murphy, and they did the most old school promo I've seen since I put watching Smoky Mountain Wrestling from 1992 on hiatus. They said they were challenging the Lucha Dragons to put up their titles next week. Later, the announcers told us that the Dragons accepted!

Hey, it's our main event! It's Tyler Breeze versus Hideo Itami in a quarter-final of the number one contenders' tournament!

They had quite the match. Itami obviously decided that his gameplan was to kick Breeze in increasingly creative ways. Breeze did not like him kicking him in the face. You wouldn't, would you? Even you uggos.

The finish came after Breeze fired away on Itami, shouting, "you're not better than me!" Itami took exception to this, and kicked Breeze to death, finishing with a dropkick in the corner, and that weak-looking spinkick for the pin. Breeze and Itami both looked great in this.

The announcers informed us that Itami's win meant he would face tag-team partner Finn Balor in two weeks' time. Nice.

This was a Great Show. As NXT most often is. And next week, with Neville versus Kidd, Corbin versus Dempsey, and the Lucha Dragons versus Blake & Murphy, looks just as ace. What a time to be alive!

The main event was really good, Itami's weak finisher aside. His best match in NXT so far, at least that I've seen. Breeze is excellent when the situation calls for him to be. He's got the potential to be a phenomenal midcard champion (not that they've any interest in making one) and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get even higher than that.

I wasn't too impressed by the New Major Brothers, Val and Venis.

I don't mind Itami and Balor treading water for a bit. The WWE style is completely different to what they've done up to now so I'd rather them keep a low profile while they get their feet on the ground. They've got years ahead of them. No point in jumping the shark.

It's a fine line. They're both older than the Shield and Bray Wyatt (and Zayn and Owens). Itami is six years older than Bray, he's closer to Cena's age. Of course, age, wrestling age and WWE age are often all different things, but when looking for talent for your next generation of main event guys, mid-thirties might not be so appealing.

• Paid Members

After the break, we are shown an extreme close-up of Bull Dempsey's hands. They do not look like hands that have ever done manual work. That is why Bull Dempsey sucks.

Haha, I thought the exact same thing! Proper girly fingers. Bull Dempsey is the absolute dirt worst thing in all of WWE for me. Pitcos had the right idea for him- instead of being massively miscast as this 'last of a dying breed' tough guy, he should be playing a snivelling, cowardly dickhead heel.

I was gonna do a look back at the first NXT Orlando TV taping in May as a sort of "how are they doing 3 years on" thing.  But as we've just started a new era of NXT (the not on TV in the UK era) I might as well do it now.

So this is everyone (not counting main roster stars) who appeared on the first taping on May 17th 2012 and what's happened to them:

Xavier Woods At the time had been in FCW already for 22 months, and spent another 5 months only doing dark matches and house shows before spending a year on NXT TV then getting called up to WWE in October 2013.  Not done much of significance since then.  Called Up

Dean Ambrose Had been in FCW just over 1 year.  Never appeared on NXT TV ever, although appeared in dark matches at most of the tapings and was in dark matches/house shows for WWE for most of the next 6 months (as he had been before NXT) before debuting with The Shield.  Called Up

Bo Dallas Amazingly he had already been in FCW for 3 and a half years by this point.  Became the 3rd NXT champion almost exactly 1 year later.  Before then he had been in the WWE Royal Rumble, and had a few matches on Raw.  Was probably supposed to be a full time call up, but didn't work out.  11 months after winning the NXT title he debuted again in WWE.  Called Up

Rick Victor Had been in FCW 13 months at this point and did nothing of note in NXT, infact he went almost a full year without appearing on NXT TV at all, until Kenneth Cameron was released and he joined Conor O'Brian as Cameron's replacement and soon changed his name to Viktor.  Spent 14 months with The Ascension in NXT, most of that as Tag Team Champions before getting called up to WWE.  Called Up

Conor O'Brian Was in DSW for 2 years, and did most of the ECW house shows in 2006, before quitting in 2007 for health reasons.  Came back in 2010 and spent just under 2 years in FCW before NXT.  Teamed with Kenneth Cameron as The Ascension for 6 months before Cameron was released.  Did singles for a few weeks before Rick Victor replaced Cameron, and changed his name to Konnor.  Got called up to WWE after 2 and a half years on NXT.  Called Up

Kenneth Cameron Had been in FCW just under a year and a half and teamed with Conor O'Brian as The Ascension for 6 months before being released.  Is now in TNA.  Released.

CJ Parker Aside from a fan forced heel turn he's done nothing particularly noteworthy since May 2012, other than not get released.  He is so insignificent he doesn't even have a wikipedia page, but he had been in FCW for 10 months before NXT started.  Still in NXT.

Mike Dalton He had already been in FCW for 18 months by this point and spent 14 more months doing nothing until changing gimmick completely and becoming Tyler Breeze. Despite not winning the title he's been close to the main event most of the time, main events NXT house shows regularly, appears on WWE house shows and dark matches often, and had 1 appearance on Raw last year.  Still in NXT.

Jason Jordan Another one who's been there the whole time without doing much.  Unlike CJ Parker though, he's never changed his gimmick, other than having his haircut and started teaming with Tye Dillinger in April 2014. Still in NXT.

Seth Rollins He'd been in FCW for 19 months, which seems like an amazingly long time.  Became the first NXT champion 2 months later, and 4 months after that debuted on WWE TV with The Shield, and lost the NXT title 1 month later.  Became WWE Tag Team Champs and Money in the Bank winner.  Main evented PPVs.  I would say NXT's biggest success so far.  Called Up.

Jiro Had been in FCW for 6 months.  Was released 1 month later.  Released.

Leo Kruger Had been in FCW for 15 months and spent the next 18 months on NXT coming close to the main event.  Disappeared from NXT TV for a few months while wrestling on house shows as a totally different character called Adam Rose, who debuted on NXT TV in March 2014.  Less than a month later he debuted on WWE TV as Adam Rose.  Called Up.

Aiden English He had only been in FCW for just over 1 month when NXT debuted, so he didn't really have a character at all.  And continued to not have one for the next 16 months where he occasionally appeared on NXT TV.  Finally he began his singing gimmick which was pretty popular, until he began teaming with Simon Gotch 9 months later.  Kept elements of the gimmick, but dropped the singing part. Still in NXT.

Richie Steamboat Had been in FCW for 2 and a half years at this point and it seemed he was going to be one of the main stars of NXT and a future WWE call up seemed certain but he went down with a serious injury 6 months later and after a full year on the injured list, he left the company.  Released.

Dante Dash He had been in FCW for about 6 months.  Was released, for being rubbish I assume, 15 months later. Released.

Derrick Bateman Had already been in OVW and then FCW for over 5 years by this point, which again is amazing.  Obviously most of us will remember he spent about 18 months on the 4th season of the original NXT and then the bizarre NXT Redemption.  He made an appearance or 2 on Saturday Morning Slam later on in 2012.  I don't know if this was a planned callup, but nothing happened as he got injured.  He was released just over 1 year after the new NXT began, which I thought was a shame, as i thought he was a future star.  Ended up in TNA 3 or 4 months later, where he still is now. Released.

Johnny Curtis Another who had been around forever, spending 5 and a half years in either DSW or FCW, although like Bateman, spent a year and a half in the original NXT and then NXT Redemption.  He won season 4 of NXT, which meant a WWE call up and a tag team title shot.  He never got the title shot, and only had 2 matches on Smackdown before heading back to NXT Redemption.  Spent 5 months on the new NXT before doing WWE dark matches as Fandango and eventually debuting on WWE TV another 5 months after that.  Called Up.

Sofia Cortez She was a contestant on Tough Enough and didn't win, but got signed anyway and spent 6 months in FCW but was released 3 months after NXT started. Released.

Paige She had been in FCW for just under 6 months at this point.  She became the first NXT Women's Champion just over 1 year later, and held the title for 10 months.  She didn't lose it, she vacated it due to being called up to WWE and winning the WWE Divas title on her debut, which was 23 months after NXT began.  Called Up.

Jake Carter He had been in FCW for 13 months apparently, although he only made his FCW TV debut 2 months earlier.  He didn't do a whole lot in NXT and was released 17 months later.  Released.

Corey Graves Spent 9 months in FCW before NXT started.  Won the NXT tag team title and spent a lot of time near the top of the card, but suffered several injuries and had his last match in April 2014.  Officially announced retirement at the end of 2014, and is now a commentator in NXT.  Retired/Still in NXT

Nick Rogers Had been in FCW for 7 months and spent another 5 months doing nothing before being released.  Released.

Kassius Ohno Was in FCW for about 3 months before and spent 18 months fairly near the top of the NXT card before being released for various reasons that have been reported.  Released.

Bray Wyatt Had been in FCW for 3 years and 1 month by this point, using various gimmicks.  However, he spent 3 months on the original NXT, and then spent 3 months as member of the WWE roster, including being in the Royal Rumble in 2011 before being officially removed from the main roster and sent back to FCW.  The character of Bray Wyatt had only debuted in FCW just over 1 month earlier and in NXT was a solo act for a while, but by the end of the year Luke Harper and Erick Rowan had joined him, and all 3 made their WWE debuts together just over 1 year after NXT began.  Called Up.

Everyone else who appeared on that TV taping were main roster WWE guys (Triple H, Jim Ross, William Regal, Dusty Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Tyson Kidd, Michael McGillicutty, Cesaro, R-Truth, Epico, Camacho, Hunico, The Usos, Sheamus and Alberto del Rio), but just reading the report back shows how much NXT has changed since then.

The crowd were bored, sighing and groaning at seeing the same faces again and again, who they had no idea who they were - although loads more of the main roster appeared than do these days, and were chanting "we want Sheamus" through the night (who had been advertised to appear in a match - and did) and a large percentage left early, tired after seeing 21 matches.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members

Interesting to read through that, Dart.

NXT (not in it's current format, of course) has been around for five years from next month. That's incredible, the same time as Brock's combined WWE career if he jacks it in after Mania. Longer than The Rock's first run before he started making movies in 2001.

There are at least 30 men/women on the current WWE roster that were part of NXT before they were regulars on the main shows (I'm including Lana, Alex Riley and Byron Saxton), which is fascinating even though inevitable given it's where almost all of their entire talent pool will come from.