NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

One of my concerns about NXT is that you no longer really get that excitement of a fresh debut on WWE TV. From now onwards we'll basically have already seen everyone on NXT for a couple of years beforehand. At least with FCW and the like no one really watched them so you could have The Shield debut and have no real idea who any of them were for example. If The Shield were to debut this year they would have already been a team on NXT for a while. Also you get the sense that they kind of perfect their act on NXT and if it gets over ship it to the main shows as a finished product without letting anything develop and get over naturally with the main audience.

Ā 

Seth Rollins was the NXT Champion at the time of The Shield debut wasn't he?

Ā 

It is a good point you raise, though. I thinkĀ the Full Sail settingĀ does tend to hinder some, not all, of the NXT call ups, such as Adam Rose and Big E, due to it being a contained atmosphere. Makes for great viewing on NXT, though.

Edited by Nick James

Great episode this week. Two quality matches in the tournament semi finals and built the main event at NXT Rivals well.

Ā 

Ā 

Loved how the video package at the end managed to reference Zayn/Owens history but with no reference that Zayn was Generico. Kayfabe maybe dead but I love how Zayn treats Generico as a seperate person

Ā 

"Make us pop" was another one I heard a couple weeks back.

Absolute lunatics.

Ā 

It takes some of what is great about NXT away from it, for me. They're trying to look cool/smart whilst trying to get themselves over.Ā 

Ā 

It's like they're going 'we know wrestling terms ner ner ner ner'.Ā  :glare:

• Paid Members

I like the crowd. They're a fundamental part of the show.

Ā 

The hype video for Zayn-Owens was AMAZING. Almost switched off but wondered what the last 5 minutes after the main event was about. Can't wait to see Takeover: Rival now.

I like the crowd. They're a fundamental part of the show.

Ā 

You only don't mind the crowds cos you didn't have to suffer through them in the late 00's. They're a bacteria that began breeding in the damp arenas of ROH and Full Impact Pro and have spread to NXT and WWE. They'll get to you one day, Linus. Enjoy them while you can.

I'd rather have a smark crowd than a bored silent one

Ā 

This. Plus the NXT crowd know their role in the show and don't try to hijack it. They boo the heels and cheer the faces and are extremely supportive in helping wrestlers get their gimmick over.

There's a difference between the NXT smark crowd and the one from the Rumble. The former is enthusiastic, and any kind of enthusiasm adds to a live wrestling show. The latter is overwhelmingly negative, which detracts from everything on screen. The knowledge of the fans doesn't matter, they can know every wrestler's real name, as long as they show respect towards the work of the performers, it can only be a good thing.

Ā 

I'd rather have a smark crowd than a bored silent one

Ā 

This. Plus the NXT crowd know their role in the show and don't try to hijack it. They boo the heels and cheer the faces and are extremely supportive in helping wrestlers get their gimmick over.

Ā 

Ā 

Which is something that can actually work against them if/when they get the call up as shown by Adam Rose and Bo Dallas.

• Paid Members

Watched the Balor/Itami match. Gimp that I am, I wish they'd have had it for a belt at Ryogoku rather than at Full Sail, just because, but it was great. I felt myself thinking "they're being allowed to do whatever they want as long as they want" right before they went home, and I wish they'd just had 2-3 minutes more, as I felt they were building well but hadn't quite peaked yet. But it was still a lot better than I thought it would be, I expected to feel a bit like I'd watched the "diet" version of the kind of match they'd have had in a New Japan or Noah main event, i.e. "the first 12 minutes of a REALLY good match" but for a first time meeting it was basically perfect - very entertaining but just leaving you with that knowledge that they are capable of an even better match. Wrestling is it's best, for me, when it satisfies but also manages to make you want more, in almost equal measures. Balor vs Itami was that.