NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I can finally reply to this thread after watching Takeover. My enthusiasm for it was hampered somewhat, however, waking up on Friday morning to a push notification from the WWE app revealing there was a new NXT champion. Thanks for that, WWE.

Considering Kevin Owens one of the most anticipated WWE debuts, they made CJ Parker look the strongest he has done since I started watching NXT. That palm thrust was viscous though, somehow cutting the bridge of Owens’ nose. What was the point of it? Was it CJ taking liberties with Owens? Or did Parker just misjudge the distance between him and Owens?

Lucha Dragons vs. Vaudevillians was a good match. Each match Kalisto does something amazing. This week, it was a no-handed upside bounce off of the ropes. Insane. I wouldn’t have been disappointed with the Vaudevillians picking up the win and the tag titles in this match but it wasn’t to be. Hopefully they carry on their program going forward. I want more silent movies like we’ve had on NXT leading up to this match!

Had a slight giggle when Hideo Itami came out. He looked like he was wearing a knock-off Mortal Kombat outfit. “He’s Japanese, right? Give him one of those ninja tabards from the video games.” Finn Bálor’s entrance seemed to go on for an age, I guess just to show off the fact that look! He’s in body paint! Look at the paint! The match was OK, but nothing to write home about. Even the obscene number of false finishes towards the end of the match just seemed a bit… sloppy for want of a better word. Like others have said, I’ve been severely underwhelmed by Itami. And also, I wish if they were going to make Hideo and Finn do moves simultaneously they’d work on their timing. The double basement dropkicks, the double double foot stomp (not a typo) from the top rope at Takeover—someone’s always a couple of seconds out so it doesn’t look as visually impressive as it could do.

NXT has the dubious honour of making me not hate women’s matches. When they come on I don’t think, “Oh, god. Here’s another women’s match. Can’t wait until this is over.” I love Sasha Banks. She’s such a fantastic heel. And I love her move set too. That cross arm backstabber was great. Although I found it strange she hit a suicide dive on Charlotte. I hope this isn’t a sign of a Banks face turn.

Main event time. This match lived up to the hype, and amazing to see a crowd invested in someone as much as they are in Sami Zayn when he was holding the belt and looking like he was ready to smack Adrian Neville with it. Also, the ref was in the wrong place at the wrong time—twice—taking a ref bump. Although he made a suspiciously fast recovering during the second bump to count Neville’s near-fall. He almost looked like he was in Neville’s pocked with that turnaround.

I think Owens has had the fastest turn in WWE history. Started the two-hour show as a fan favourite, then ends it attacking the babyface new champion to turn heel.

As always, a terrific show. I can’t rave how much I love NXT. If you had told me five years ago that WWE would have a show where El Generico, Pac, Kevin Steen, KENTA and Prince Devitt were the mainstays and it was also the best-booked and most lauded show WWE produces, I’d have laughed in your face.

• Paid Members

Oh, at one point during the show, they put a graphic up for something or other that had about four NXT wrestler promo pics on it. One of them was Viktor from The Ascension, and he had headphones around his neck. What's the deal there? I'm assuming it's an old gimmick, but you'd think they'd retire the photo and take some new ones once Tyson Kidd started doing the headphones thing.

They'd be goggles, I'd guess. "Rick Victor" had a bit of a steampunk look when he first joined The Ascension, when "Connor O'Brien" was still wearing the high-collared coats etc.

When they tweaked the names to Konnor & Viktor they gave them the more 'unified' look with the flappy bits on the front of their tights etc., and he dropped the goggles.

• Paid Members

That palm thrust was viscous though, somehow cutting the bridge of Owens’ nose. What was the point of it? Was it CJ taking liberties with Owens? Or did Parker just misjudge the distance between him and Owens?

Parker put up a pic showing a chunk taken out of his hand, so I'd imagine it was just a screw-up.

The next special could be amazing. I've not seen any plans yet, but it's not out of the question that you have Zayn-Owens, Balor/Itami-Lucha Dragons, Charlotte-Becky Lynch and Neville-Kidd. You're probably getting Corbin-Dempsey as well, but they could always make that a 60 second Iron Man match. 

Ah yeah, just googled him, they are indeed goggles!

John Morrison will go down as one of WWE's biggest missed opportunities. He has a ton going for him, and could be a huge marketable star if WWE were willing to work around his limitations. Look how good he was on the Dirt Sheet (another taped show).

Morrison was still crap on the Dirt Sheet, but he had Miz there making it work. You can have one awkward, wooden bloke in a tag team as long as the other one has some personality to cover for them.  Apparently, Chris Hero did a similar personality-by-association trick with Cesaro on the indies. Maybe Johnny's turned it around on the Lucha show, like, but Swiss Tony's even worse in pre-taped promos than he is live.

That Lucha Dragon who isn't Sin Cara (whoever that is nowadays) - he looks a bit special too.  I actually thought it was Rey Mysterio early on, he looks and wrestles just like him.  If they are still looking for a new Rey Rey, he looks the part.

That Lucha Dragon who isn't Sin Cara (whoever that is nowadays) - he looks a bit special too.  I actually thought it was Rey Mysterio early on, he looks and wrestles just like him.  If they are still looking for a new Rey Rey, he looks the part.

I mentioned that earlier in the thread as well. They seem to be angling towards it, I heard the commentators reference Rey at least once during that guy's stuff. They're missing a trick if they don't get him on the main roster in time for Rey's farewell run to do some kind of passing the torch deal. He could and should be what they thought Sin Cara was going to be, perhaps the only barrier is if they think he's too similar to Mysterio.

I mentioned that earlier in the thread as well. They seem to be angling towards it, I heard the commentators reference Rey at least once during that guy's stuff. They're missing a trick if they don't get him on the main roster in time for Rey's farewell run to do some kind of passing the torch deal. He could and should be what they thought Sin Cara was going to be, perhaps the only barrier is if they think he's too similar to Mysterio.

I think being so similar to Mysterio has its advantages. You only have to look at how little the Mysterio character changed over the years. It's that simple, age old gimmick that will work so long as the right person is under the mask. 

• Paid Members

So just got done watching this show, to just echo what everyone else is saying, it truly was an astounding show of wrestling, everything on the card had it's place and was carried out wonderfully, even the Corbin/Fat Twat stare down was alright and built the potential big man slobberknocker that is due to land.

Finn Balor is money, PPV paint with an abundance of opportunities to go down.

Zayn and Neville was a wonderful encounter, beautifully told and definitely my favourite match since Cena/Lesnar 1

• Paid Members

I was surprised at how well he talked and how good his English was as well on the pre-show - definitely agree it seems like he's the closest to Rey that there are going to get!

I was on his wiki after the show. I'm sure his American.