Deathmatch interest thread

Richie Freebird

I remember going on his Myspace years ago and from what I could tell from browsing his profile, he seemed like a really nice and approachable guy. R.I.P Damage

I was just having a very quick skim through some of the tributes from others in the buisness, and Bull Pain said he was a really nice, respectful and mild mannered guy outside of the ring. It seems he was the polar opposite of his in ring character.

Drake Younger also mentioned

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
To even question whether the scene will / should cease due to the unfortunate and tragic loss of a young man through suicide seems a bit irrelevant to this case me.

It's not really. If he worked as stiff a style as you say he does, it's only logical that the style and scene would come under closer scrutiny as a result. And so it should.

This really sucks massive balls. RIP

From speaking to people I know who go or used to go to CZW shows, they had nothing but nice words to say about him. They describe/d him as being a gentle giant who was nothing like his in ring persona, always approachable and willing to talk to people. They are pretty upset about the news, I can't imagine how bad his family and friends, especially someone like Billy Gram are going to be feeling.

His last match for CZW was last October against Matt "Bulldozer" Tremont at Cerebral in which he won, he never worked again after the match although he never 'announced' his retirement from wrestling.

Although I was never a massive fan of his, I appreciate what he contributed to deathmatch wrestling and fondly remember the time he cold cocked Necro with a stiff shot that sent him to sleep at TOD 5. His wars with Drake Younger which helped carry CZW through very tough times and his tag-team with Deranged.

I don't think Deathmatch wrestling would have had much to do with his death, I'm pretty sure the same discussion was brought up when JC Bailey died. However JC was still active and in a spiralling state and didn't have much control to save himself from drugs.

I didnt even know JC Bailey had died. When did that happen?

August 2010. By a brain aneurysm.

Some really scummy shit went on in the weeks after he died, especially involving Ian Rotten. That pretty much led the demise to the already dead in the water IWA-MS.

Edited by Rule One

It's not really. If he worked as stiff a style as you say he does, it's only logical that the style and scene would come under closer scrutiny as a result. And so it should.

As I mentioned though, hardly anyone ever worked a style like Brain Damage. Even the most hardcore guys of today (Masada for example) aren

• Paid Members

Not really into Deathmatches and all that stuff, but this is a great thread Richie.

One question that has always puzzled me. Why do they wear kickpads? not all of them but alot do. Even though they batter each others bonces in with a variety of utensils, they still take precautions not to hurt each other with a kick.

• Paid Members

Until they cut out using light tubes, this style is always going to be completely stupid. I'd rather take a chair shot to the head 7 times than get fluorescent light shards into open wounds. That's the stupidest shit ever. When they all die of cancer in a few years, they can show their doctors DVDs of Cell of Splatter #12 from SmartMarkVideo.

Fluorescent lights look completely dumb anyway. Might as well be an inflatable hammer, for all the damage they would do in a real fight.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

Surely the deathmatch style could contribute in a case like this?

Perhaps it's drugs to deal with the pain? Drugs because of depression due to $25 payoffs and being skint and having to borrow Ian Rotten's Pizza Oven? Depression due to blunt head trauma? Look at Mike Awesome, I refuse to believe that his style had nothing to do with his suicide.

My favourite ever hardcore style match is Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard, and that's because everything is built to the end with the broken chair into the eye. Wrestling is about emotion not braying each other, and that's why I struggle to consider the deathmatch style to be pro wrestling.

• Paid Members
One question that has always puzzled me. Why do they wear kickpads? not all of them but alot do. Even though they batter each others bonces in with a variety of utensils, they still take precautions not to hurt each other with a kick.

Probably because the flat leather/pleather/vinyl surface makes a nice thwacking sound.

• Paid Members

I don't get it at all. Pro wrestling is about a work of drama to make it look violent without getting hurt. I don't understand why people like seeing people getting torn to shreds for real. Looking at one of the wrestlers and thinking "you're about to voluntarily let your skin get ripped by barbed wire" for instance, makes me feel so sad. I'm not squeamish, and I love a slash-em-up horror film - that's not real - but I don't understand deathmatch style at all.

I wouldn't mind if anyone could explain or at least try to explain what they get out of it. Freeboat, I'm looking at you.

Surely the deathmatch style could contribute in a case like this?

Perhaps it's drugs to deal with the pain? Drugs because of depression due to $25 payoffs and being skint and having to borrow Ian Rotten's Pizza Oven? Depression due to blunt head trauma? Look at Mike Awesome, I refuse to believe that his style had nothing to do with his suicide.

Why do you refuse to believe it? Anything could have caused him to be so glum. Maybe he was frustrated that he wasn't more popular. Or maybe he'd run out of Bovril or something.

Have not watched any wrestling in months but occasionally lurk these forums. Horrible news to start the weekend. I really liked his look and build and could easily say he was one of the reasons I followed deathmatch wrestling for ages. First deathmatch I saw featured him in. From interview's I've done with the likes of Sanchez ETC He spoke kindly of the guy and to me on camera always seemed like a complete psycho in the ring but somebody you'd want hang with after a show and have a drink with. Legend in my eyes and really depressing news.

RIP Brain Damage - Legend.

• Paid Members

Agree about the look. From appearances alone I legit thought he looked like the hardest man in wrestling. If you had to have someone to back you up in a fight, he would be a fantastic choice. Jim Fannin always called him a Terminator and I'd be inclined to agree with that analysis.