Raw Main Event **SPOILERS**

danchilton

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And yeah, I do sense snobbery on King Pitcos' side as if he knows something we all don't.

Depends who you mean by "we all."

I agree with some of your points but at the same time, I think you're searching for reasons why they'd do it to justify it. If you're in a rut and you do the same things, you can expect the same results. Like I said, WWE aren't fucked at the moment - far from it - but they're on a downhill slide. They're investing heavily in the WWE Network lest they get kicked off of a network. The time is right for a fresh approach, fresh staging and a fresh formula.

They tried something quite radical (for this era) with Punk and it created interest. He wasn't and isn't a flop as people have said. He's sold a load of merchandise. The problem was that they didn't know exactly how to handle this new character. The initial promo was brilliant but it gradually became needless insider references to the detriment of the product. They've fine-tuned it now and he's a credible main eventer and they seem to know what works and what doesn't. Punk is the first main eventer they've built in years though. I suppose there's a case for Henry too but he's not going on last on PPVs. Post-Mania could be perfect for a fresh direction. They're clearly meddling with online interactivity through social mediums and see that as one of the ways to go and good on them. If they can perfect that, it'll be great.

Sorry, bit rambling.

It created interest on the Internet. It's not translated to improved television or pay-per-view numbers -- if it had, you wouldn't be saying WWE is in decline. Punk hasn't drawn new viewers, he just had a short run of making those of us who watch anyway moan less. And he didn't even manage that for long, the Insider Reference Man gimmick had no legs. He seems to be past his worst now, but he's largely a homogenised WWE main eventer too. there's no revolution in him. He's just an addition to Cena and Orton as main event babyfaces, and Sheamus is getting there as well. But it doesn't change the format or the formula, it just plugs new faces into it. My own opinion kind of wavers from show to show on whether the format needs to change. Sometimes I think you just need exciting new faces and fresh matchups in the existing framework, but most of the time I think the framework needs a big overhaul.

• Paid Members
His promos have been heavily edited,

I feel like this gem has been ignored. As if Henry has only been cutting promos and doing stuff on smackdown.

Oh and incidentally, Henry looks beatable RIGHT NOW and it's not doing him any harm. They've just been excellent in giving him an achilles ankle.

• Paid Members

Henry has been one of the delights of the year for me. He earned it with some great work in ECW and I think he's done a fantastic job. I've not been completely convinced with how they've booked him since the Big Show feud returned, but his matches have been the best of his career, he seems to be in his best ever shape and has kept away from injuries, and he's cut some superb promos.

He's shown himself to adaptable, too. He's worked with a wide variety of different performers and put on great matches with them all. I'm chuffed for him because he's been saddled with shit luck with injuries and crappy gimmicks his whole career but they gave him a chance and he grabbed it. Good on him.

Let's face it, diamond_dust is a downright no-no.

And yeah, I do sense snobbery on King Pitcos' side as if he knows something we all don't.

Depends who you mean by "we all."

I agree with some of your points but at the same time, I think you're searching for reasons why they'd do it to justify it. If you're in a rut and you do the same things, you can expect the same results. Like I said, WWE aren't fucked at the moment - far from it - but they're on a downhill slide. They're investing heavily in the WWE Network lest they get kicked off of a network. The time is right for a fresh approach, fresh staging and a fresh formula.

They tried something quite radical (for this era) with Punk and it created interest. He wasn't and isn't a flop as people have said. He's sold a load of merchandise. The problem was that they didn't know exactly how to handle this new character. The initial promo was brilliant but it gradually became needless insider references to the detriment of the product. They've fine-tuned it now and he's a credible main eventer and they seem to know what works and what doesn't. Punk is the first main eventer they've built in years though. I suppose there's a case for Henry too but he's not going on last on PPVs. Post-Mania could be perfect for a fresh direction. They're clearly meddling with online interactivity through social mediums and see that as one of the ways to go and good on them. If they can perfect that, it'll be great.

Sorry, bit rambling.

It created interest on the Internet. It's not translated to improved television or pay-per-view numbers -- if it had, you wouldn't be saying WWE is in decline. Punk hasn't drawn new viewers, he just had a short run of making those of us who watch anyway moan less. And he didn't even manage that for long, the Insider Reference Man gimmick had no legs. He seems to be past his worst now, but he's largely a homogenised WWE main eventer too. there's no revolution in him. He's just an addition to Cena and Orton as main event babyfaces, and Sheamus is getting there as well. But it doesn't change the format or the formula, it just plugs new faces into it. My own opinion kind of wavers from show to show on whether the format needs to change. Sometimes I think you just need exciting new faces and fresh matchups in the existing framework, but most of the time I think the framework needs a big overhaul.

He's not been a massive success but I think he's getting there. I think that in wrestling fans minds, Punk is a main eventer. He's toned down that revolution side a bit but they're basically pitching it as Punk as Austin vs. Laurinaitus as McMahon. He's still against 'the system' and I think everyone understands that but the way they're pitching it is pf more of a universal appeal than making insider references that we might like. Austin was the everyman fighting the system. It seems they're going the same way with Punk. They seem to be going for Punk fighting for the WWE Universe to make things interesting and piss Laurinaitus off. If they keep going that way, he'll likely be more of a successful main eventer. But none of this would be as credible if it weren't for his summer stuff which created the buzz. Business isn't just measured in PPV buys and ratings anyway. As I say, he sold a load of tops. Cult of Personality jumped up the charts. The numbers for Summerslam were disappointing, granted, but of course there were positives to take too. He couldn't have been that much of a flop or else he wouldn't be WWE champion as we speak.

• Awards Moderator
Henry has been one of the delights of the year for me. He earned it with some great work in ECW and I think he's done a fantastic job. I've not been completely convinced with how they've booked him since the Big Show feud returned, but his matches have been the best of his career, he seems to be in his best ever shape and has kept away from injuries, and he's cut some superb promos.

He's shown himself to adaptable, too. He's worked with a wide variety of different performers and put on great matches with them all. I'm chuffed for him because he's been saddled with shit luck with injuries and crappy gimmicks his whole career but they gave him a chance and he grabbed it. Good on him.

Let's face it, diamond_dust is a downright no-no.

You know, I barely post in On-topic because I know shit all compared to you lot. What I'm about to contribute also means nothing, wrestling-wise, but I'm delighted Henry is doing so well because from what I've seen he comes across as an absolutely bloody lovely bloke.

Sorry. I'm soft.

This is just pure gold perfect.

Let’s begin; it is nice to see people standing up for Mark Henry as he evidently seems to have a fan base on this forum and they have found his matches entertaining.

I do find it quite amusing though that some people on this forum have found Mark Henry’s latest push to be enjoyable but hey if they are entertained by it then good for them.

There have been big guys such as King Kong Bundy, Earthquake, Big Van Vader, The One Man Gang, Kamala etc. who were far more effective as being big guy heels then Mark Henry.

There is of course one big guy who was universally loved and respected by both wrestlers and fans. That man was called Andre the Giant.

Andre may not have been the greatest wrestler in the world but he more than made up for that by his sheer presence and for being larger than life.

Mark Henry is a mere blip on the landscape.

• Paid Members

No chance was Vader or Kamala built up to the level Henry's been at this year. Let alone*, outfucking-performed him!

*Strictly talking WWE, like. It's probably the same for OMG, Earthquake and KKB, but that was well before my time. Did any of those three squash the equivalent of a Randy Orton? I doubt it!

You're a mere blip on the landscape.

This.... Is a slightly less vulgar version of what I was going to say.

Archived