Raw Main Event **SPOILERS**

danchilton

Maybe, but Henry is very limited in what he can do. His promos have been heavily edited, especially the UK one so a run on Raw would be out of the question. He's flopped in every situation hes been in bar this one and once he's shown to be beatable again it ends the monster side of him and leaves him with nothing.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
He's flopped in every situation hes been in bar this one

But he Hasn't flopped this time, and that's whats important. They aren't going to say "Mark, this push has gone brilliantly. It's exceeded ours and everyones expectations. It's been a critical success and a ratings success... But you've flopped in every push you've had before this, so you're feuding with Ted DiBiase after you lose the title". That'd be fucking stupid to use the fact he's flopped before when he's riding a wave of success and to drop him down the card. And he didn't really flop in ECW either, but that's neither here nor there. He plays his role fantastically, and that's all anyone can ask, especially when that breeds success.

• Paid Members

The idea of a Mark Henry babyface turn post-Mania scares the shit out of me. Mark Henry walking around smiling, telling shit jokes and kissing the fans arses like the rest of WWE's babyfaces is the most horrible thing I can think of.

• Paid Members

But he Hasn't flopped this time, and that's whats important. They aren't going to say "Mark, this push has gone brilliantly. It's exceeded ours and everyones expectations. It's been a critical success and a ratings success... But you've flopped in every push you've had before this, so you're feuding with Ted DiBiase after you lose the title". That'd be fucking stupid to use the fact he's flopped before when he's riding a wave of success and to drop him down the card. And he didn't really flop in ECW either, but that's neither here nor there. He plays his role fantastically, and that's all anyone can ask, especially when that breeds success.

Exactly. Fin Martin's bullshit saying they should've made Christian world champ for the rest of time was based around the same bollocks argument that Henry used to be rubbish, completely ignoring the fact that he was solid as hell during his ECW run and has been great in his current role. I can't understand why some people are so hung up on the past and won't give him a smidge of credit for being really good for ages. Then again, that's the same thing that happened with Cena circa 2007.

The idea of a Mark Henry babyface turn post-Mania scares the shit out of me. Mark Henry walking around smiling, telling shit jokes and kissing the fans arses like the rest of WWE's babyfaces is the most horrible thing I can think of.

One way it could work is if they just pull an Orton, and have him act the same way he did as a heel, but just doing it to heels instead of faces. Or, actually, have him walk round telling shit jokes, then giving people evil-killer-stares until they produce a laugh. TV gold!

• Paid Members
Also, when are they going to stop with this JR/Michael Cole shit?

In the time that bollocks took they could have fitted in a match, hype video, a backstage segment and/or interview with any of the following to help build their characters, promote them or create fueds: Kofi Kingston, Broadus Clay, Jack Swagger, Alex Riley, Drew McIntyre, Evan Bourne, Ezekial Jackson, Ted Dibiase, Mason Ryan, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater, Epico, Hunico, Tyson Kidd...the list goes on and on. TV time is precious and they constantly waste it on awful shit that they happily admit is awful shit on the same very show.

The fucking pointless argument about Tyson Kidd distracted from what is a really good point.

LaGoosh wasn't suggesting they open the show with any of this just that the time could be better spent elsewhere and he's right. The Cole/Lawler/JR stuff has taken up hours and hours of TV time this year and 95% of it (or more) has been absolutely shit. The stuff this week was a new low.

I'm not convinced Tyson Kidd will ever be anymore than a JTTS but I'd still far rather see some segment with him in than the utter shit they keep serving up with Cole and JR. In fact, I'd rather watch anything with any of those guys mentioned than watch it. They NEED to do something different. The show is screaming out for it. This was a three hour show and barring the usual suspects like Cena, Punk, Henry and Orton, everything else was shit you either fast forward or wish you had. Outside of those established guys, the only thing of interest was the Kane return. And even that will lose all lustre in 2 weeks like everything else Kane has done since 1999.

Pitcos can put his cunt head on and pretend we're all sad smarks who somehow love indy bollocks wrestling AND wish it was Russo car crash 1998 again but that's only distracting from a real decent argument. WWE are sat on a load of guys who have some talent and they aren't getting them over. It seems their only approach is the one advocated by Pity, which is to can them and then bring through another load of guys who are in the same boat. WWE is stuck in a rut at the moment. They need to seriously refresh their approach to getting guys on TV and getting them over.

Ok what would you do with him knowing the only thing thats made him look good in 13 years is being the unbeatable monster? Once you make him beatable theres not much else you can do, see Umaga, Khali and any other guy whos been put in that role. Its not like they can use him to have an entertaining match so all his has to be in the story.

• Moderators

But his matches have been entertaining. He's played his role superbly. Not everything has to be at a million miles per hour, and Mark Henry works smart. The whole "Mark Henry's matches are shit" hasn't really been too applicable since about 2009 in my opinion. He's had some fun sprints with Big Show, and he's adept at those power matches. His matches with Orton were good fun as well, and that wasn't all one way traffic. Some wonderful big man tussles with Sheamus. He's had one of the best TV matches of the year with Daniel Bryan just the other week and yet again Mark Henry played more than his part in that! He's got a quality body of work in 2011.

After Orton or whomever beats him at Mania, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having him as a monster gatekeeper on the fringes of the upper card. You need big heels like that. Keep him strong and use him to elevate new faces into the main event scene when need be. I don't think one clean loss in one of the feature matches at Wrestlemania is going to turn him back into Sexual Chocolate circa 1999.

His matches are still edited more often than not though so it still limites what you can do with him massively. I'm not saying he hasn't done well with this push I'm just saying once the whole unbeatable thing wears off it'll be hard to keep him around the top of the card when he loses his "unbeatable focus" and is just Mark Hnery, the guiy whos been on the roster for 13 years again, especially when Brodus comes up probably doing the same routine.

• Awards Moderator
His matches are still edited more often than not though so it still limites what you can do with him massively. I'm not saying he hasn't done well with this push I'm just saying once the whole unbeatable thing wears off it'll be hard to keep him around the top of the card when he loses his "unbeatable focus" and is just Mark Hnery, the guiy whos been on the roster for 13 years again, especially when Brodus comes up probably doing the same routine.

Isn't match editing just a necessity of having a taped show? I'm fairly sure promotions have been editing pre-taped matches since forever in order to make their stars look good or better, I can't imagine it's a Henry-specific phenomenon.

Edit: Butch got there first. I edit my posts like WWE edits Mark Henry matches. Which, apparently, is a thing they do.

I'd also like to know that.

Mark Henry's been awesome pretty much since the draft, not even just since he feuded with Orton. I assume after his feud with Big Show is over he'll move onto Kane then maybe Sheamus going into Mania. Who knows after that though.

Pitcos can put his cunt head on and pretend we're all sad smarks.

But I'm all out of ammo now.

I'm not convinced Tyson Kidd will ever be anymore than a JTTS but I'd still far rather see some segment with him in than the utter shit they keep serving up with Cole and JR.

tumblr_lrdue3oZhE1qhtsu9o1_500.jpg

OKAYYY, I'M RELOADED!

They've not edited his PPV matches and he had a good one against Big Show at Vengeance and a good one against Orton at Night of Champions.

And yeah, I do sense snobbery on King Pitcos' side as if he knows something we all don't. I agree with some of your points but at the same time, I think you're searching for reasons why they'd do it to justify it. If you're in a rut and you do the same things, you can expect the same results. Like I said, WWE aren't fucked at the moment - far from it - but they're on a downhill slide. They're investing heavily in the WWE Network lest they get kicked off of a network. The time is right for a fresh approach, fresh staging and a fresh formula. They tried something quite radical (for this era) with Punk and it created interest. He wasn't and isn't a flop as people have said. He's sold a load of merchandise. The problem was that they didn't know exactly how to handle this new character. The initial promo was brilliant but it gradually became needless insider references to the detriment of the product. They've fine-tuned it now and he's a credible main eventer and they seem to know what works and what doesn't. Punk is the first main eventer they've built in years though. I suppose there's a case for Henry too but he's not going on last on PPVs. Post-Mania could be perfect for a fresh direction. They're clearly meddling with online interactivity through social mediums and see that as one of the ways to go and good on them. If they can perfect that, it'll be great.

Sorry, bit rambling.

Archived