Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

We must close to reaching the point now where it's been known as WWE as long as it was WWF. When did they 'Get the F Out', 2002? I still don't like the name WWE, don't expect that will ever change.

It was the WWF from 1979 to 2002, which is 23 years. We're still ten years away from WWE exceeding that.

• Paid Members

We must close to reaching the point now where it's been known as WWE as long as it was WWF. When did they 'Get the F Out', 2002? I still don't like the name WWE, don't expect that will ever change.

Was thinking about this on the bus home the other night, oddly enough. I was thinking that I was a fan for 11 years when it was the WWF. I've now been a fan longer when it was "WWE". Which boggles my mind. Because I still have to stop myself from saying "F". The WWF just rolls off the tongue better.

Also what hurt my head and creeped me out was that, kids now in their teens have never been fans when it was called the WWF. A 13 year old lad wouldnt have been alive when the Invasion was going on. Its so strange to me. The WWF to fans today is probably what the WWWF was to us. Like we couldnt imagine it being called that.

I bet there are still people that forget that it has 2 W's, used to piss me off as a kid when i heard someone talking about "that WF wrestling".

Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that in 24 years of being a fan.

For me, it's been WWE now longer than it was WWF from when I started watching it.  I don't get why people who are fans still call it WWF, but I can understand people who aren't still calling it WWF because in the early 90s and late 90s when everyone knew what it was that's what it was called, and the name change probably wasn't a major news story in the mainstream.

Also, on podcasts and interviews when people are talking about WWE and they say "or WWF as it was known then"...just say WWE, people aren't going to get confused and not understand you because there was no company called WWE in 1996.

But here's my point whenever a celebrity mentions wrestling you can almost guarantee they will still refer to it as WWF and the World Wrestling Federation

See that episode of Would I Lie To You.

Also what hurt my head and creeped me out was that, kids now in their teens have never been fans when it was called the WWF. A 13 year old lad wouldnt have been alive when the Invasion was going on. Its so strange to me. The WWF to fans today is probably what the WWWF was to us. Like we couldnt imagine it being called that.

I expect it's different now, at least once they hit a certain age. Black and white wrestling was so shit, but 1998 wrestling doesn't seem as bad. I'd rather assist a paedophile than watch anything from the WWWF days, but these days every wrestling fan hits the age of about eleven and goes on forums where they're conditioned to hate everything current and worship the attitude era. Footage from the WWF days is readily available too, infinitely moreso than any of the older stuff was when we were kids, so they've probably watched loads of it. Depending on how many Fs were taken out of commentary/promos/whatever, it's probably normal for newer fans to hear WWF.

• Paid Members

Word is that the upcoming Smackdown taping has been cancelled due to fan revolt over the Royal Rumble.

Not really, due to weather.

The Governor of Connecticut, where Raw is being held tonight, has announced a travel ban for the entire state. Not sure how that will impact Raw. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I bet there are still people that forget that it has 2 W's, used to piss me off as a kid when i heard someone talking about "that WF wrestling".

Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that in 24 years of being a fan.

For me, it's been WWE now longer than it was WWF from when I started watching it.  I don't get why people who are fans still call it WWF, but I can understand people who aren't still calling it WWF because in the early 90s and late 90s when everyone knew what it was that's what it was called, and the name change probably wasn't a major news story in the mainstream.

Also, on podcasts and interviews when people are talking about WWE and they say "or WWF as it was known then"...just say WWE, people aren't going to get confused and not understand you because there was no company called WWE in 1996.

I still find myself calling it the WWF from time to time, but much less frequently. As Ian said, the 'E' doesn't roll off the tongue naturally though. There will always be men of a certain age, late 20's and older, who will always refer to it as the WWF as wrestling's only ever been in the mainstream over here when it was called that. How many times have you seen Football or Rugby commentators refer to a tackle 'Like something you'd expect in the WWF"?

Agree with your point about podcasts though. It would be like Jeff Stelling referring back to footage of Anders Limpar playing for Arsenal in 94 and saying, "In the Premier League, or the Carling Premiership as it was once known."

Word is that the upcoming Smackdown taping has been cancelled due to fan revolt over the Royal Rumble.

Not really, due to weather.

The Governor of Connecticut, where Raw is being held tonight, has announced a travel ban for the entire state. Not sure how that will impact Raw. 

Apparently no travel after 9PM, so people wouldn't be able to get home from Raw. That must be off as well.

• Paid Members

Timewise, the New Age Outlaws being on the Rumble this year is the equivalent of Afa and Sika being on the opening match of the 1998 Royal Rumble.