Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Bret vs Austin was the match they were going to do. For Bret to stay, he'd have had to take the pay cut they asked him to take, so out of some kind of loyalty or even a written guarantee in the new contract he'd have had to put Bret in main events just to justify Bret's decision to stay as the right one. Shawn Michaels was supposed to lose a ladder match at the Rumble to Bret. As luck would have it, Bret leaving was probably the best thing for the WWF. Its not like they missed him.Maybe Shawn doesn't get the back injury, maybe Bret and Shawn do a long program into 1998, maybe there's no Mike Tyson, maybe there's no Vince heel turn and maybe Austin's momentum gets halted by the pissing about that is going on between Bret and Shawn. That double cross is so pivotal when you think about it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Michaels would've never had that, would he? He'd have been off to WCW if he wasn't in the main event that year, I reckon (assuming the casket match never happened, back wasn't fucked etc). He'd probably be dead by now.

Edited by King Pitcos

I wonder if Vince had thought about becoming a heel authority figure before or if it was just a spur of the moment thing after the Montreal fallout. It was such a pivotal moment in wrestling history, and it seems incredible that the Mr McMahon character was just presented to Vince on a silver platter seeing as he was so good at it. The Million Dollar Man gimmick was apparently a Vince self-portrait, so I reckon he'd had some bathroom mirror practice beforehand and he was delighted to finally get the opportunity to play a caricature of himself on screen at long last.

• Moderators

McMemphis!More proof that most of the best stuff came out of Tennessee. Roughhouse Fargo is one of my favourite things ever. Heels are bastards so they get Roughouse in town! A ref everywhere else, but in the Mid South Coliseum, a guaranteed house.I'd love a gimmick like Roughouse today. Some mental Jack Russell of a man from a nuthouse who's on two or three cards a year being a total fucking mental and settling scores for the Good Guys.

Edited by PowerButchi

He took a back first drop from the top of the old WCW ramp in a match with the Nasties in 95 which still turns me ill when I see it. Its a ridiculous bump.

As sick as that bump is, Id still say the Mascaras apron one is worse. The thud of his skull on the concrete is disgusting. I think the only reason he did that bump was because the proper finish (the piledriver through the table) messed up, too. As you said, you can sort of justify the insane bumps against Taker, or in the Sting match, or the Vader powerbomb angle. Its the stupid, throwaway stuff thats the worst, like unprotected chair shots from Mideon in a throwaway Raw match, or doing that crazy middle rope-to-floor sunset flip against guys like Hammer. I downloaded his best of TNA DVD, which starts with a highlight reel of his big TNA bumps, some of which looked very nasty. A table bump against Flair looked particularly nasty. Considering the state he was in, and the size of the audience he was doing it for makes it quite sad.

• Paid Members

How does he do the comedy if his memory is so shot? Foley was my hero when I was a kid and his book spurred me into a love of reading and finding out about things and I have a huge bookcase now, terrible how he's ended up like this especially when so many people warned him. Losing the weight would really help him though, I know it's hard to do but if he got himself down to his recommended weight his life would be completely different.

• Paid Members

He took a back first drop from the top of the old WCW ramp in a match with the Nasties in 95 which still turns me ill when I see it. Its a ridiculous bump.

As sick as that bump is, Id still say the Mascaras apron one is worse. The thud of his skull on the concrete is disgusting.
I only saw that for the first time recently and it is horrible. Just fucking mental. And almost pointless as well.Which Nasty Boys match was the other one, though?

• Paid Members

Yeah it is, I just watched the full match, what a cracking match it is as well.

Not as good as the one between the Nasty Boys and Cactus / Kevin Sullivan, but he doesn't take any stupid bumps in that one, they just absolutely batter each other instead.

To the Bret Hart point, Bulldog and Anvil would still have been around. Lafon and Furnas would likely have been associated with the remaining Foundation. Hard to say how it all would have fit in really as it's all guess work no matter what. What is for sure though is that Bret Hart had an amazing 1997 with killer bouts with Austin, Undertaker, Vader and Michaels. There was still plenty left in the tank. A lengthier programme with Shawn is too mouth watering to think about for me. Not to mention matches with Rock / HHH once they started coming into their own, and even a programme with Foley is something I consider a great shame for never having happened. Oh, and Bret Hart would have made a fine corporate champion...

• Paid Members
How does he do the comedy if his memory is so shot? Foley was my hero when I was a kid and his book spurred me into a love of reading and finding out about things and I have a huge bookcase now, terrible how he's ended up like this especially when so many people warned him. Losing the weight would really help him though, I know it's hard to do but if he got himself down to his recommended weight his life would be completely different.

He'll have cheat sheets to help him out. His long-term memory is fine so he can remember the stories from back in the day.

It's sad that he's so bad he can't even look look at a camera when he's getting his picture taken as the flash hurts his head.