Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Sorta feel bad for Striker and I'm not sure why. He was awful as a commentator, but I really didn't mind him as a backstage/in-ring interviewer. You never really see it coming with people not on the active roster. You just think they'll be there until they decide to leave.

Wasn't there a story that they employed the wrong Striker? There was a guy called Matt Stryker who by all accounts was good, and they thought it was the same guy.

Wasn't there a story that they employed the wrong Striker? There was a guy called Matt Stryker who by all accounts was good, and they thought it was the same guy.

When I heard they'd signed him, i assumed it was that one, the one who used to work for ROH and I think did one of those Kurt Angle Invitationals on Smackdown. I seem to remeber Angle belting him with the mic and cutting open hardway

• Paid Members

Matt Stryker was bland generic indyrrific 35-minute wristlock dogshit. ROH made him win their first (and only) Field Of Honor tournament beating BJ Whitmer (more dogshit) in the terribly dull final, then they realized actually he was shite within about six weeks, and promptly booked the first Pure Wrestling Championship one-night tournament (with a Punk/Styles final) literally about two shows after Stryker's big triumph, so everybody could forget about it, and indeed, him.I'd love to believe WWE employed the Matt Striker they meant to, on the strength of the act of Macho Man Matt Striker & Miss Talia. But actually they signed him because they thought it would be good press after his school fired him for being a wrestler. And to my knowledge, not because they were confusing him with Matt Stryker, ROH dogshit.

When I heard they'd signed him, i assumed it was that one, the one who used to work for ROH and I think did one of those Kurt Angle Invitationals on Smackdown. I seem to remeber Angle belting him with the mic and cutting open hardway

No, you're getting confused. Matt Striker, former teacher, who they actually signed, wrestled Kurt on three SmackDowns. Matt Stryker ROH dogshit never wrestled on SmackDown. Although he did a couple of Heat jobs in 2003.If it helps, Matt Stryker was only even thought of as good by ROH twerps until the tail end of 2003, and Striker wasn't signed until the middle of 2005. There is no way in hell that WWE were actually looking to sign a wrestler as far off the radar as Matt Stryker. Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

WWE hired Striker because he made the news for skipping off his job as a teacher to work indy shows. They hired him on the grounds of that, yet Chris Masters got much bigger news for something better and he didn't even get a try out.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Vince has a bit on an ongoing thing for the Teacher gimmick. Dean Douglas of course in 1995, Striker a decade later and these days Damien Sandow is pretty much doing the "educator" gimmick, just without the official moniker. Isn't Master's problem the two-strikes thing?

• Paid Members

Isn't Master's problem the two-strikes thing?

They hired him before knowing he had two strikes and he didn't get into trouble ever. He seems to be forever punished by his early mistakes, which is a shame. The bloke has been clean for years now. Its not like he's Scott Hall and you are counting the days down. There's probably more chance Randy Orton is going to do something daft than Chris Masters will. Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

The Masters thing is astounding. The guy has been able to work for a few years, AND is a legitimate hero as verified by real news carriers. They should have given him the 80's treatment - limos and first class flights taking him to Titan Towers or Vincent's house to sign on the dotted line.

Edited by Ant