Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

That reminds me, Joe Gagne was doing his video game review of 1999 a few months back and he listed the roster and it went "you have The Rock, Triple H, Undertaker, Kane, Chris Jericho, Mark Henry, Billy Gunn, Road Dogg. It really takes me back ... to last Monday *cymbal crash*".

In a fairly unexpected career change, Scotty 2 Hotty is now a fireman. Here he is at this graduation today.7154_497318630337406_1684760671_n.jpgAfter hearing about this I had a wee read of his wiki page and was amazed to discover Scotty made his debut in 1989!

He seemed to pop up as a WWF jobber in the 90s. Perseverance pays off. Edited by Ant

On this very subject, check out Stevie Richards now? Doing the RTC gimmick again on the indies and looks better now than he did 13 years ago when he first started doing it.972107_10151625659264321_2103579099_n.jpg

When doing the RTC gimmick I thought he'd bulked up an awful lot. He looked much healthier circa 2004 when he was a certified jobber.

I listened to an interview recently where Stevie said he's really embarrassed looking back at that period because he was in such poor shape. He seemed happy to admit that he was limiting what they could do with him because he had gotten so flabby, hence working as a manager and mouthpiece a lot of the time.He was a real highlight of the new ECW where he was indeed in cracking shape and having good matches. I don't really know why they let him go. A real solid hand.

• Paid Members

Aye he said he was in a bad relationship at the time so just constantly stuffed his face. I really like Stevie as you say he's a good hand, he's never going to be anywhere near the main event level but he's a great lower to mid card guy who can work and cut promos.

I never noticed Stevie Richards being in terrible shape at the time, but I did always wonder why he hardly ever wrestled as part of the RTC. I think I assumed he was quite injured or something, or that Evil Vince was holding him down or didn't recognise his talent. Stevie was one of the few wrestlers in ECW that was actually better on TV than he was in PowerSlam photos. So he'd have been pushed as a wrestler to some level during that gimmick if he'd taken better care of himself?

• Paid Members

So he'd have been pushed as a wrestler to some level during that gimmick if he'd taken better care of himself?

I doubt it. Stevie Richards wasn't rated highly at all by anyone by that point. He had neck problems stemming from when Terry Funk dropped a guardrail on his neck in 97 and people thought he was a knob from the way he handled himself when he left ECW and came back after WCW. Being out of shape probably helped him, since they made him a mouth piece in a shirt and tie who was doing a parody of their real life enemies as opposed to a Metal and Heat jobber like he had been previously. Stevie Richards always had a vanilla flavour about him. There's no way he'd have stood out wrestling wise on the roster they had in 2000. It was probably the best roster in wrestling history. He did have a great little run in TNA, though. But by that point, he knew far more about how to get over than he did in his early career. Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

It was deactivated as I recall. Like, officially.

Someone should tell WWE.comhttp://www.wwe.com/classics/titlehistory/cruiser

Despite all this, the Cruiserweight Championship has become the highest accolade in cruiserweight wrestling. It is because of the recent efforts of Superstars such as Gregory Helms, Chavo Guerrero and Jamie Noble that the Cruiserweight Championship is held in such high regard.

:confused:EDIT: Stevie was really good value in TNA, but like TheShowOff says, he just falls between divisions. Edited by Loki