Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Steven Gauntley has pulled the plug on his most recent venture, Pro Wrestling Republic, four weeks before the debut show."I want to announce that I have decided to cancel the project, and thus the June 29th event. This is a personal decision. The people who did purchase tickets , have all been refunded in full earlier today. If anyone has any queries relating to this, please contact me at admin@prowrestlingrepublic.com . Please dont cantact Dale, as he just ran the facebook here . Thanks to everyone that showed support, and very sorry that i feel personally this is not something that should happen. steven"Apparently refunds were sent out a few days ago. Anyone surprised...?

Steven Gauntley has pulled the plug on his most recent venture, Pro Wrestling Republic, four weeks before the debut show."I want to announce that I have decided to cancel the project, and thus the June 29th event. This is a personal decision. The people who did purchase tickets , have all been refunded in full earlier today. If anyone has any queries relating to this, please contact me at admin@prowrestlingrepublic.com . Please dont cantact Dale, as he just ran the facebook here . Thanks to everyone that showed support, and very sorry that i feel personally this is not something that should happen. steven"Apparently refunds were sent out a few days ago. Anyone surprised...?

I will say I am surprised as I at least expected them to have one show before it all went tits up.

Would I be right in assuming that he owes money to people? He was using imports, right? They must have been paid for up front.

• Moderators

Corino was having a go about it on twitter last night. Turns out he was booked. Said something like "I thought gauntley has changed, but he's still a dickhead" or something on those lines.

Hah. He thought Gauntley had changed when Gauntley offered him money, now it's back to being a dickhead. Corino's an old carny!

Edited by Loki

WCW stalwart, Master Blaster, and human dog Al Green has passed away at 57.

I'm sure Green worked in Europe a fair bit, as recently as post WCW for Scott Conway perhaps.

• Paid Members

Pretty interesting article about CM Punk's backyard days:-

WWE star and Chicago-area native CM Punk is scheduled to wrestle at the Allstate Arena Sunday night in a pay-per-view match against veteran Chris Jericho.Long before Punk was promoted as the "best in the world" by a multi-million-dollar corporation known across the globe, he was a kid from Lockport named Phil Brooks who got his start wrestling in the south suburbs, including Tinley Park.In a DVD documentary about his career released by WWE last fall, Punk said that he began his wrestling career in the 1990s as a teenager at a backyard wrestling promotion called Lunatic Wrestling Federation.A VHS tape from that period emerged for sale on eBay this week, with the listing promoting "ultra-rare footage" of Punk wrestling on a card held at Tinley Park High School in November 1998.That show was called "Bloodbath 98."The seller, who identified himself in an e-mail to the Tribune as "Brad," said he attended the show with his son and went to another the following spring. He recently discovered the cassette in his basement."Just cleaning out some old boxes downstairs and thought someone might like it," Brad wrote."Bloodbath" featured a 20-year old CM Punk

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- According to sources, Colt Cabana recently had two tryouts with WWE. The tryouts were set up by his friend CM Punk and were for a color commentator position.

Prior to his release from WWE as "Scotty Goldman", he was a commentator in WWE developmental.

Cabana's trying his luck at commentating. In some ways it would make little sense for a character that isn't a WWE name to be in the booth but then again I'm sure many fans have forgotten about Matt Striker's in ring career.

Edited by thesimonbegz