Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

6 hours ago, garynysmon said:

This is very true. I watched Wrestling with Shadows a few months ago and my Mrs happened to be in the same room, half listening. She couldn't see what the fuss was all about and, in reality, she had a point didn't she?

Not really, if you look at it from a professional point of view.

I have recently worked with a colleague, who handed his notice in after 15 years of hard work and showed a lot of the qualities that Bret Hart did in his chosen line of work and was royally shat upon, on his way out by the management (at least in the opinion of most of his workmates).

You can say stuff about Hart's ego and taking himself too seriously and maybe other flaws in his character, but i can't see it in any other way than a massive act of betrayal.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

I have recently worked with a colleague, who handed his notice in after 15 years of hard work and showed a lot of the qualities that Bret Hart did in his chosen line of work and was royally shat upon, on his way out by the management (at least in the opinion of most of his workmates).

I doubt your work mate was lined up for a $3m a year contract though.

• Paid Members

Bret was a massive mard arse who didn't want to lose in Canada, didn't want to drop the belt in Canada, didn't want to lose or drop the belt to HBK, and didn't want to drop the belt before Montreal because Canadian fans were 'expecting' him to be champion when he turned up. It was an entire shitshow from all angles but Bret was far from blameless and made it as near to impossible as he could for them to do anything with him before he went to WCW.

• Paid Members

Makes you wonder how things would have been if it all went the opposite way. If Shawn got his realise in July 97 and went to WCW. Would Triple H have followed him? No Shawn, no DX. If the Kliq went to WCW, would the rot have set in quicker or would they 5 of them been to much of a force for Hogan politically. For me it was never about the money why they got rid of Bret. They offered the Warrior more money the month after and were trying to get Hogan back. Then spent $3.5 million on Tyson. The WWF was far from potless. 1997 was the most insane year ever for wrestling. So much stuff could have went either way. Stone Cold was supposed to originally wrestle Davey Boy Smith at WrestleMania 13. In a shitty midcard match, which would have probably been overshadowed by the split of the Owen and Bulldog tag team. If Ahmed Johnson hadnt done his knee in, Rocky Maivia would have still be waiting for his tits to go back to normal into 1998. And what would have happened to Mick Foley had he not done that amazing series of interviews? He kicked the shit out of JR at the end of those, so the plan wasnt to have him as this huge babyface?

You talk about geniuses in wrestling, but a lot of luck and timing goes into it as well. A mental year. Imagine if Hogan and Warrior had came in when originally planned, in January 1998. That was supposedly the big plan (and Warrior's contract offer is online somewhere.) No Mike Tyson, but you have Warrior and Hogan back. I dont think Austin could have even survived that.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bret was a massive mard arse who didn't want to lose in Canada, didn't want to drop the belt in Canada, didn't want to lose or drop the belt to HBK, and didn't want to drop the belt before Montreal because Canadian fans were 'expecting' him to be champion when he turned up. It was an entire shitshow from all angles but Bret was far from blameless and made it as near to impossible as he could for them to do anything with him before he went to WCW.

Or you could say he had creative control for the duration of his notice.

I hated the following night on Raw, when Michaels and Triple H mocked Hart by humiliating a midget dressed as The Hitman. You could say it was part of their heel characters, but i just saw it as two total pricks, acting like total pricks.

• Paid Members

How Bret never took the first offered will baffle me until the end of days. In 1996. When he was trying to be an actor. They offer him the best part of $3 million a year and a seperate Turner deal where he could do their TV movies like Hogan did, and he decides to turn it down to be loyal to a man who bought out his Dad then never paid the final installments. Fuck off. This is 1996 as well. Bret's deal would have been the best ever. Hogan had ran out of steam, and the nWo angle saved him. If Bret came in as the "third man" a babyface Hogan would have been knackered in the changing world of WCW. This was during the time Hogan was only signing 6 month deals as well. Even WCW wasnt stupid enough to sign Russ Abbot to $4 million a year. Goes back to how long a year is in wrestling. Bret Hart in November 1997 was in a sharkcage walking into WCW. In July 1996, they were on the way up and he could have taken a lot of the credit for it. Fucking insane to turn down that deal. He was like Falcao signing for Man United when he eventually showed up.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

2 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

I hated the following night on Raw, when Michaels and Triple H mocked Hart by humiliating a midget dressed as The Hitman. You could say it was part of their heel characters, but i just saw it as two total pricks, acting like total pricks.

Yeah, that's what heels are meant to be.

15 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Yeah, that's what heels are meant to be.

Exactly. If you saw it as Paul and Mike being pricks and not as Hunter and Shawn being pricks then that’s your fault for being too far down the rabbit hole. 

2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Exactly. If you saw it as Paul and Mike being pricks and not as Hunter and Shawn being pricks then that’s your fault for being too far down the rabbit hole. 

But what if you genuinely believe that "Paul and Mike" are total pricks in real life and have just helped shit all over one of their longest serving colleague in a really sneaky, disrespectful way?

Edited by Lord-Mountevans

2 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

But what if you genuinely believe that "Paul and Mike" are total pricks in real life and have just helped shit all over one of their longest serving colleges in a really sneaky.disrespectful way?

2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

that’s your fault for being too far down the rabbit hole. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why was he going to WCW? Why was he contractually entitled to refuse?

Bret was entirely blameless. Vince put himself in that situation. He got himself out if it too.

It's been 22 years. Move on.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Why was he going to WCW? Why was he contractually entitled to refuse?

Bret was entirely blameless. Vince put himself in that situation. He got himself out if it too.

It's been 22 years. Move on.

Move on? Are you hungover?