Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Good for him. I always thought it was quite tragic that he ended up hating wrestling so much.

Agree with this.

He persued a childhood dream and because he lived it, he ended up despising the thing he loved. He might have drove himself to that, WWE might have, Vince might have, either way it’s a shame.

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Why was he going to WCW? Why was he contractually entitled to refuse?

Bret was entirely blameless. Vince put himself in that situation. He got himself out if it too.

It's been 22 years. Move on.

He only had "reasonable" creative control. He was being unreasonable refusing to do the job. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, FUM said:

He only had "reasonable" creative control. He was being unreasonable refusing to do the job. 

The term "reasonable" is problematic in law when it comes to the entertainment industries.

It could be argued that Bret was being reasonable because he offered a remedy to the difficult situation by offering to job in the US. He took recognisable steps to negotiate a position that was problematic to both parties, rather than being intransigent and refusing to negotiate at all.

Either way, if you wanted to argue the legal case, Vince still wouldn't have a leg to stand on, because he agreed to the finish and then reneged on that deal. By agreeing to it, he was admitting Bret was being reasonable, and by changing the finish without Bret's agreement, he abrogated the contract. 

It's all academic, anyway, seeing as it was never contested in the first place.

I remember reading, and this may have been asking Meltzer in an email years ago, that the term reasonable in Bret's deal was defined as neither side could do anything the other didn't agree on. So basically, if either side deemed it unreasonable, it didn't qualify as an option. So Bret was perfectly legally entitled to do what he did. In essence, McMahon opened himself up to a lawsuit by screwing Bret, an option Bret effectively gave up by knocking Vince in his arse.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Supremo said:

Good for him. I always thought it was quite tragic that he ended up hating wrestling so much.

Well it's not tragic. It's.... unsettling.

• Awards Moderator

I just found out that glorified house show Shield's Last Ride is on the network at 2.30am. Not sure what the actual card is but I enjoyed the network specials of a couple of years ago. 

9 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I just found out that glorified house show Shield's Last Ride is on the network at 2.30am. Not sure what the actual card is but I enjoyed the network specials of a couple of years ago. 

It was just the last 3 matches of the house show Bayley/Ember Moon vs the Riott Squad, Finn vs Elias for the IC and The Shield vs Corbin/Lashley/McIntyre