Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

All fighting isn't MMA though is it. How long has MMA been around. UFC since 93 and at a push you could say MMA has been around since 1980. How long has wrestling been around 100+ years. 

Wrestling seemed to do pretty well in all those years up to the invention of MMA as a concept, and no one was promoting it as anything other than wrestling. If anything the reverse if your argument is true. MMA is copying  wrestling. They took all the things that help make wrestling great and used them to make their often dull fights better. Look at the amount of vehicles destroyed in backstage wrestling angles, then look at McGregor and his bus. If anything MMA is stupider than wrestling because they don't get some trainees to dress up as cops and pretend to arrest the person who did the damage. 

3 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Pro wrestling absolutely should pretend be MMA, if not, what should it pretend to be?

Are you weirdly misinterpreting his post just to have an argument? It’s wrestlemania weekend, relax.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Boxing does it as well. I watched Larry Holmes dropkick Trevor Berbick off the top of a car. If that doesn't say pro wrestling nothing does. 

Even Muhammad Ali went on record saying that a lot of his talk early in his career was influenced by watching Gorgeous George as a kid. Everyone borrows or steals from wrestling. 

• Paid Members

I'd say that, whilst MMA does borrow heavily from pro-wrestling, as does boxing, both sports take their main lesson from wrestling before it was worked, which is: don't let it get boring.

Wrestling went the way it did because they were allowing 12-hour long grapple-fuck bore-fests that would end up in a draw. With boxing, striking tends to be more interesting. With MMA, they recognise that it's more exciting to have a mix than just grappling. Both sports have time limits, and both penalise the fighters for playing it safe and not being aggressive. Grappling-only sporting promotions recognise that they're up against it in terms of how potential fans see them, so a lot of them have introduced various rules to make sure it's as fast and aggressive as possible.

So you taking away all the moves then? 

Because anything from the top rope would be gone. Anything on the outside or involving a weapon would be gone. Anything more than a pained suplex or a double leg would be gone.

Wrestling is a form of theatre born out of amateur wrestling, that has a few nods to its past but has grown way beyond that. It has nothing to do with boxing or MMA or anything like that. It’s it’s own thing, evolved within its own historical context. Wrestling is wrestling. Big, camp, daft and silly.

MMA is great, but besides story driven promotion, they really shouldn’t have many comparison points. For one, every time a wrestlers tries to work a triangle it looks fucking atrocious..

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Pro-Wrestling should be like MMA without any boring fights.

Pro-wrestling should be anything it wants to be, lots of choice and options, which is why I love it. I don’t understand the philosophy that it should be one particular thing.

I love the fact that one promotion can be WWE style, another full on comedy, another lucha based, another shoot style. I mean fuck me, there’s one in Japan which is basically theatre with wrestling matches chucked in as the battles within the story being told. I love the fact they can be any of those things and it’s still recognised as Pro Wrestling.

• Paid Members

Just read that yesterday, Harry Smith walked up to Jake Roberts at a signing and threw a cup of hot coffee in his face.  Anyone know the history behind this?

• Paid Members

What a fucking idiot. Everyone knows Jake Roberts is a carny scumbag with a reputation for lying between puffs on the meth bowl; he's not worth going to prison for assault.

Edited by Carbomb