Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Setting up a post-WM feud between Alicia and Rousey maybe?

Jesus what a fucking shambles that would be if it were to happen. 

On 07/04/2018 at 12:44 PM, Pier Six Brawler said:

Pro-Wrestling IS pretend MMA. If it's not, what else is it? It's called wrestling, but you can also punch and kick. Which is MMA. I think some people are so in the wrestling bubble that they forget this. How do you explain what pro-wrestling is to a layman without just saying that it's pretend fighting?

Pro Wrestling is more pretend Tekken than it is pretend MMA. 

Seriously, the fact that I have zero interest in MMA but still watch wrestling should quite clearly tell you there's plenty in wrestling that's got nothing to do with it pretending to be MMA. 

If everyone's character in wrestling was coming out to a Biggie tune, thanking god, microdosing shrooms and pretending to hate people at a press conference I wouldn't bother with it. MMA does nothing for me. I like costumes and pyro and shit. 

42 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Alicia Fox has been pulled from the Battle Royal, not too long til she’s out the door I reckon. 

Its her own fault, how dumb do you have to be to get into a drunken argument on the eve of the biggest show of the year?

WWE has hit over 2 million Network subscribers. 1.8million of which are paid.

$18million per month income for content they had lying around doing nothing.

Anyone know roughly how much they were taking in from PPV's each month before the Network had them all?

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, FUM said:

Not quite that simple, they've had to pretty much re-edit everything, which has resulted in loads of production hours.

• Paid Members

That's pretty impressive. Be interesting to see how that compares to the PPV model they had before. Obviously they've fucked the dog over Mania and maybe Rumble but they must be making a killing in the months where Backlash or Extreme Rules were doing 10 buys and three downloads on Napster.

I remember a time not long after the Network where it seemed like hitting a million was a struggle, so credit where it's due. 

I can't imagine it's down to a few extra Culture Shock with Corey Graves either. Or the classic content that we all signed up for four years ago. Though we may hum and haw about the up and down quality of the near constant PPVs these days, their content batter philosophy of fresh matches at weird times all year is clearly paying off.

I feel like you've got a million core subs there, and another million beaten into submission. Fair fucks . 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, FUM said:

WWE has hit over 2 million Network subscribers. 1.8million of which are paid.

Anyone know roughly how much they were taking in from PPV's each month before the Network had them all?

Do you have a clue what last years 'Mania number was?

Still impressive they're got to the 2M mark, with the majority paying for it. I wonder how much of an impact Rousey had on the number? Just going by the buzz in the media, it looks like a ton of MMA fans and media watched her.

2 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Do you have a clue what last years 'Mania number was?

Post-Mania 33 conference mentioned theNetwork had 1.959 million total subs - 1.661 million paid.

The yearly average will be the interesting number to see how many they can retain now with a star like Rousey in the fold. Their fourth quarter 2017 earnings report had the average amount of subscribers at 1.48 million paid, with ab average for the full year of 1.53 million paid subscribers.

• Paid Members

It's worth remembering that there were several extra promotions included in the paid number for this year's 'Mania that they didn't have running last year. Last year they had the whole 'sign up for free' thing which added people to the unpaid section. I'm sure at certain points leading up to Mania that there were many people offered this again.

However there were also promotions of three months for a total of $9.99 and a promotion of $1.99 a month for three months at certain points leading up to 'Mania. The whole idea of which was to artificially inflate the 'Paid' subscribers in order to get over 2M subscribers, to look strong to investors ahead of the TV contract negotiations. Which is working, considering the stock price is huge at the moment, so it was the right idea if they get the TV deal they want. But even the income of the network per month is a lot lower than $18M, and the profit is said to be below 20% of that. Meaning the Network is still less profitable than the last year before they switched from the PPV model (2013 I think). 

It's more about being ahead of the curve really, which they probably are. The Network is an incredible service, which I pay for every month as it's a bargain and there aren't many of those in the entertainment industry these days. However, I've no doubt about it that WWE are being robbed blind and that there would be much more money in having 900k-1M regular subscribers but if they had kept Rumble, Mania and SummerSlam as $65 PPV's. The goose is cooked on being able to go back to that though, which is a benefit to all of our pockets. 

Edited by WeeAl