Favourite Simpsons Quotes

Family Guy PMSL

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

They pushed the cruisers.  Hardcore fans loved them but the casuals wanted Hulk Homer back.

As hilarious as your answer is, it is a genuine question. I assume something huge must have been against them in the time slot that year or they got moved to a new time that fucked them. 

23 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Church sign - ST0P ST3AL1NG 0UR L3TT3R5

*Nelson runs upto the sign and takes some pieces*

sign now reads - ST P ST AL NG UR L TT R

So that's where the question setters for Only Connect got the idea for the 'Missing Vowels' round from.

4 hours ago, Tommy! said:

As hilarious as your answer is, it is a genuine question. I assume something huge must have been against them in the time slot that year or they got moved to a new time that fucked them. 

Wasn't that when they got that new showrunner in... *googles* ... Mike Scully? Seems to coincide with when he arrived. There's another name I can't think of. They brought someone in who wasn't a fan of the show or had never seen it before, or something, and that's when it all went wrong. He didn't last that long in a main position. Can't remember his damn name.

• 2 months later...

The Simpsons Movie will always be a missed penalty to me. The build-up was exciting and the fantasy booking was fun for years: who didn't want to see a Simpsons movie? But it just seemed that 2007 was far too late to host it and even on first viewing, it was clear that it was butchered by test audiences. It was redolent of the show but didn't really have any of the charm of the earlier series. Things like "President Schwarzenegger" really didn't help either. The time to do a Simpsons film had already passed by that point. It was clear to anyone who had love for the show that a film should have featured Mr. Burns in one of his grand villainous schemes on a bigger stage than what had appeared on TV to that point. Instead, he was in the movie for all of ten seconds or so?

Sideshow Bob could even have been the primary villain. Not some nameless organisation. I don't think they gave the fans enough: it was more bland to suit casuals.

Weird that I remembered this this morning. I like the movie, it's not great by any stretch and like you said 2007 was too late considering that the show had been poor for years to that point. They were never going to get it to the point of where the show was series 3-10 in a movie format but it was a decent effort with some fun little callbacks and an easy watch if you've got a spare 90minutes

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The Simpson film was the epitome of 'meh' in my view. Not as bad as I expected but not as good as I hoped. 

It also felt like it was trying to appeal to a broad net of movie watching public beyond its regular TV core, which made it feel slightly odd for the more constant or regular watchers at the gain of a broader appeal from the more casual viewers who watch it because they have grown up in a world being told how good the Simpsons are by an older generation and mass marketing.