Favourite Simpsons Quotes

Family Guy PMSL

Whilst I know top 50 threads are done to death and everyone is sick of them, I think a top Simpsons episodes may well be worth doing. If only because reading through this thread has made me remember so many superb moments. (Side note - With the ridiculous amount of outlets and channels for writers to flourish in, I don't think we will ever again see the likes of those mass Harvard joke writing rooms we saw for early Simpsons. Or am I wrong there? Is there a hidden treasure where people go to before going on to write for snl/Stewart/Colbert/etc)

Anyway, it would be fascinating to see what the newest episode would be which makes the list, over or under would be season 15. I don't think I've watched a new episode in about eight years or so (besides from bits and pieces), I got the sense it turned into more like family guy antics, or is that a misconception and it actually stays true to what made it a perfect show to begin with?

(P.s. I have just watched Marge vs the Monorail again after all the buzz it got recently, it's everything you want in a 20minute episode of tv. The monorail conductor lessons is a thing of beauty.)

• Awards Moderator

Anyway, it would be fascinating to see what the newest episode would be which makes the list, over or under would be season 15. I don't think I've watched a new episode in about eight years or so (besides from bits and pieces), I got the sense it turned into more like family guy antics, or is that a misconception and it actually stays true to what made it a perfect show to begin with?

Sky 1 have been showing a lot of episodes from seasons 23 and 24 recently, so I've been binge-watching them in an attempt to catch up with the seasons I've never seen. For the most part, they're watchable, if a little unmemorable. Not as funny as the early seasons, but not as unfunny as some of the episodes of the middle seasons.

I wouldn't consider the newest ones Family Guy-esque; for the most part they stay focused to a single plotline (Homer makes friends with a hipster couple, Lisa creates a social network) and any antics derive from that. They seem to have found a rhythm for the episodes now. Some of the episodes are perhaps a bit short for doing that - if the couch gag is 2 or 3 minutes long or has a guest director like Guillermo del Toro or Banksy then that's usually a sign. But there have definitely been a couple of gooduns among these episodes - the one where Grampa reveals he was a Gorgeous George-style 50s wrestler is quite funny, and the one about Homer's childhood dog Bongo reminded me of the 'Jurassic Bark' episode of Futurama. I don't know what it is about these animated characters and their dogs :'-(

A friend said to me a little while ago that a lot of the writers now are people who grew up watching The Simpsons, which is an interesting way to look at how episodes go these days. But yeah, a lot of them are perfectly cromulent bits of telly.

• Moderators

The only decent new Simpsons I've seen in years is "Hardly Kirking" where Milhouse pretends to be Kirk, mainly as Milhouse is such a good character. The rest have been fucking dire. Especially the Lady Gaga promotional 22 minutes, and any that have Zooey Deschanel is what seems to be a recurring role as a Spuckler.

• Awards Moderator

'Trash of the Titans' at number 7? It's one of the better late-90s episodes, but one of the top 10 ever? Not sure about that, or the inclusion of 'Behind the Laughter' again, but a good pick for number one, Monorail in the top 3, and 'The Springfield Files' makes the list, which pleases me.

"Oh, it's Mr Burns... KILL IT!"

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Moderators

Just looked up trash of the titans to check I'd it was the episode I thought it would be - it was, and I really like that episode. Also, that led new on to looking at a list of season 9 episodes and there are a while bunch of good episodes in that season. I'm wondering why it gets marked out as the turning point for the show..?

It's all a bit blurry for me because I've never had any idea what season episodes are from, I just watched them on tv.

• Awards Moderator

I wasn't bothered about the whole canon thing but I remember not liking the ending the first time I saw it (although I knew it was going to happen because like Chest, I watch out of order and it's mentioned in another episode). Up til that point it's pretty good - Steve Martin and U2 are great guest stars and the 'Garbageman' song is one of the best they've done. But I still don't know about the ending... I just didn't like it, I suppose!