Favourite Simpsons Quotes

Family Guy PMSL

• Paid Members

In fairness, it's hard to argue that Apu isn't a very lazy racist stereotype. It's a white bloke doing a funny Indian voice, playing up to a long-standing Indian stereotype.

There's an argument for, in later series, them exploring Apu's character more and expanding him beyond that, with his marriage and children added depth to the character, but you can't really escape the character's roots.

Ultimately, when it comes to any issue of taking offence, you have to ask, "who are the people offended?". If Indian-Americans find Apu offensive, then I think it's fair to see he is offensive.

• 3 months later...

"Daaaad, I think there's a hurricane coming!"

"Oh Lisa, there's no record of a hurricane ever hitting Springfield"

"Yes, but the records only go back to 1978 when the Hall of Records was mysteriously blown away!"

• Paid Members

I remember watching the episode where Edna backs out of marrying Skinner, the bit where she's returning the Incredible Hulk Melon Baller had me and my mate in stitches for ages.

On 7/29/2017 at 12:49 PM, WWFChilli said:

Yeah it's from the Daily Mail, do one. But a guy has done a documentary slating the Apu character for being massively racist. Thoughts about that.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/~/article-4741446/index.html

This aired the other night and it's was a fascinating watch. There's no way a character like Apu would fly in a series if it came out this year. Hank Azaria came across a bit of dick in this.

• 3 years later...
10 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Bit of a weird ask :

Are there any good podcast episodes that discuss the who shot Mr Burns story  ?

Four Finger Discount have covered it, as have Talking Simpsons. The former is the better pod IMO but both a very decent listen.

Edit: sorry @Tommy! didn't see your post. Cheerfully withdrawn.

Edited by SuperBacon

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Four Finger Discount have covered it, as have Talking Simpsons. The former is the better pod IMO but both a very decent listen.

Edit: sorry @Tommy! didn't see your post. Cheerfully withdrawn.

Cheers, will check em out. 

Follow up question, can you recall if they discussed the story of the kids betting on the outcome ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

E51AJxAXsAE5WPJ?format=jpg&name=small

"Yeah but look at the size of this place! I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley". 

This quote popped up on my social media yesterday and I had completely forgotten this line. I've been chuckling away at it ever since. What a fantastic mental image.