Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

I'm really hoping Punk hasn't resigned. One of the things I liked about this angle is that it was intelligent, it broke down barriers that Vince doesn't allow to be broken down very often and the idea that he genuinely allowed someone who was leaving the win the title and create one of the most exciting storylines in a long time gives me hope that WWE are turning a corner. They allowed the stupidity of not using the word "Wrestler" or "Wrestling" to be highlighted too, which was quite a step. If Punk is really gone it gives so much to the story that to me is lost in Punk shows up in the next few weeks.

Of course on the assumption that Punk really has gone, clearly he won't be showing up elsewhere with the belt, he legally wouldn't be allowed to I wouldn't have thought. Also I would like to think he show respect to the fact Vince gave him such a good story to go out on.

Either way Punk will no doubt be back, but I'd like a significant gap first.

Really? I'm surprised anyone actually honestly thinks the whole "contract ending" thing is true. Surely it's obvious that the whole announcement of his thinking of leaving was part of this larger storyline?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Really? I'm surprised anyone actually honestly thinks the whole "contract ending" thing is true. Surely it's obvious that the whole announcement of his thinking of leaving was part of this larger storyline?

He definitely was thinking of leaving, but his contract had run out before MITB, and he agreed to stay on for that. It seems pretty logical that this storyline (or one much like it) has caused him to resign.

That said I hope he has resigned but has a signifcant few months or so off before coming back.

I'm liking the whole Vince/Punk/HHH angle at the min.

I'm hoping it's a long drawn out story that will come to a head at Wrestlemania with a HHH/Punk bout.

Hopefully Punk comes back around Survivor series time taunting HHH that he is the real WWE champion, i'd then have him face Cena in a TLC unification match at, well TLC.

After this, Cena can go onto his fued with The Rock for the WWE Title, and HHH can fued with Punk, i'd like there match at Mania to be for HHH's job.

C'mon, there's no way he's not under contract. He'll just have been given a few months rest at most.

He may well have been thinking of taking a hiatus, but i'd suggest things would've been sorted several weeks ago.

• Paid Members

Whether he's staying or not, he's definitely 100% under contract at the moment. Jericho has done this in the past. His contract was up in 2005, but signed a 30 or 60 day contract to see him through until SummerSlam 2005. The board really would be giving Vince a negative vote of confidence if he made the decision to give a none contracted performer the WWE title. Next week Triple H might say he's giving him a chance to defend the belt against Cena at SummerSlam in the 30 days that he would have to defend the belt, or they will then go ahead with the tournament final or something like that. Triple H could cost him the belt or something like that.

Also, wasnt Punk's big thing about leaving because he thought Vince was a cock and the way he did business was against what he believed in? Vince is now gone. Punk got what he wanted with Vince gone. He may come back now.

I agree that the whole angle probably would have more impact and be more fondly remembered years down the line if Punk could stay away for 2 or 3 months at least, but right now there's bugger all lined up at the top of the card for Summerslam and it's effectively less than 3 weeks away.

So i'm kinda hoping that Punk is goaded back and they rush through some kind of angle and match with ass-kisser Helmsley. Again, I know it would be preferable to have a longer build, but no matter what they run with, it's going to be rushed anyway. Maybe have Cena in a 3 way with Miz and Rey for the title second from top; it's not like they can realistically run with the rumoured Cena vs Alberto to main event the 2nd biggest show of the year considering he's been jobbing cleanly to the likes of Kofi Kingston.

Also, wasnt Punk's big thing about leaving because he thought Vince was a cock and the way he did business was against what he believed in? Vince is now gone. Punk got what he wanted with Vince gone. He may come back now.

He said Triple H would be as bad, though.

• Paid Members

I haven't been following until I heard Punk did a good promo worth watching for a few weeks back so I've been following the story since. I just heard same as everyone else, that it was reported his contract wasn't being renewed. In all likelyhood he probably has resigned, but I'm hanging onto the hope that he hasn't, just so this feels bigger. I think they key here is WWE have successfully made people suspend their disbelief for the first time in ages.

Hopefully Punk comes back around Survivor series time taunting HHH that he is the real WWE champion, i'd then have him face Cena in a TLC unification match at, well TLC.

I'm thinking Ric Flair/Hogan here, rather than Shawn Michaels/Razor. Punk comes back wearing the WWE title that he won, while whoever the Champion is at the time is walking around wearing a brand new belt.

• Paid Members
He said Triple H would be as bad, though.

True, but Triple H is a new challenge now. He'd already broke Vince and took the belt. That was job done. Now there's a new head of the WWE. Maybe CM Punk likes the idea of Triple H thinking he's got power over him. As we've learned for years in the mental world of WWE, the man with the title has the power after all. Like Vince said to Stone Cold years ago "you need me AUSTINNNNN!!!". Now Vince is gone, Punk's work might not be done just yet, now his "dufus son in law" is in charge. He doesnt even have to be "under contract" in the storylines.

Or bring the Mean Street Posse, Viscera and the Headbangers back and do a storyline where they are trying to get the title off Punk like they did with Crash Holly in 2000 when the Hardcore title was 24/7. It could finally be a way to get the Boss Man back on TV as well.

• Paid Members

IIRC, the whole issue with Punk considering leaving was because he felt he was regularly producing the goods but never being given a chance to be a focal main-event player. Perhaps WWE offered him this storyline as a way to get him to re-sign? After all, he's been massively elevated by the whole affair - a sign that WWE's prepared to put their faith fully and unreservedly in someone new.

• Paid Members
I read that Bossman was the anonymous Raw GM.

He was also in that Johnny Cash video package leading up to WrestleMania, but he tore his tricep so they quickly changed it to The Undertaker. Which is a shame, because Bossman/HHH=money. it's the next dream match they need to do.

• Paid Members
He was also in that Johnny Cash video package leading up to WrestleMania, but he tore his tricep so they quickly changed it to The Undertaker. Which is a shame, because Bossman/HHH=money. it's the next dream match they need to do.

He does have a similar chin to Shawn Michaels to be fair.

Archived