Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

Raw was pretty weird this week, I couldn't wait for it to see what happened with Punk and Cena but by the end of it I was shocked due to something completely different, I'd be impressed if anyone would have predicted that to happen. It actually looked as though it was the real deal thing there though, maybe not in the actual corporate standings and business of WWE but as an online character it looks as though Triple H is now going to take McMahon's place for good as McMahon looked genuinely upset, in the same sort of way a wrestler looks when he is genuinely retiring, so I guess this maybe the end of him as an onscreen character. Interestingly the crowd went from doing the whole "Na na na na hey hey hey goodbye" stuff to actually chanting "Thank you Vince" when he looked genuinely upset and he looked as though he was saying thank you to them and also Triple H looked pretty genuinely upset too. Interestingly Xpac tweeted regarding it and seemed to say he had some ITK information and it was genuine.

In other news I heard Mysterio might be due a push so I guess it could be him getting the Title, also the Raw after Summerslam is in San Diego so maybe Triple H will reschedule the Title match final of the the tournament for Summerslam, which in my opinion would be a pretty bad Summerslam main event and Mysterio will have is hometown celebration the night after, which would be an awesome time for Punk to turn up and say he is the real Champion.

Raw last night was pretty good but for me the Raw I am looking forward to most is the one when Punk shows up.

I wasn't surprised with the way they went about it to be honest, with McMahon and WWE not mentioning Punk's name and just writing him and the actual WWE Title off and creating the tournament for the "vacant" WWE Title. I think it was a pretty decent way to continue the storyline and then inevitably have Punk show up with the real Title, then I can see it really heating up again. The real shock was about Triple H and McMahon, I am genuinely excited to see where this is going, to see if Triple H as the CEO will shake things up or just continue on as McMahon was. I'm interested to see if he will be a majorly non-wrestling role or if he will return as a full time wrestler too and what he'll do concerning Punk now that we have seen that he has allowed Cena to stay around, seemingly without any punishment. I'm hoping he might just ignore Punk and continue on with things as they are going now and then when Punk returns have him do the whole "real WWE Title" thing for a while then maybe he could have a feud against the WWE CEO Triple H, or maybe Punk might agree to resign now that WWE is no longer run by McMahon? So many possibilities.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Why is everyone talking about and so sure there'll be a WWE title tourney final next week? The tournament concept and the final being next week was all Vinces plan. Vince is gone. I'm sure Trippers has something else in mind. And considering Del Rio has a unclaimed number 1 contendership, but has been beaten by Kofi yet, also has his MITB he may want to cash in, the fact Cena was the last champion and lost due to crazy old man Vince sticking his nose in aaand Miz and Mysterio having claims to a shot through reaching the final of Vinces tournament and Trips may want to respect that. It's an open book and it could go many ways leading into Summerslam, there's a bunch of interesting hooks there.

"In the mean time, if they've actually managed to re-sign him, HHH will say he's negotiating with Punk, and either Punk will return down the line or we'll get HHH-Punk at Summerslam"

do you actually think that they havent managed to resign punk. but let him walk away with the title???? or have i missed the irony or joke somewhere?

• Paid Members
And you're seemingly incapable of offering a sensible reason why you think I'm wrong. If you want to resort to name calling, I'll leave you to it.

Actually he made a good point, but how about this one? Wasn't it fairly well reported that Triple H was big on Sheamus, and that as likely the reason he got such a big push in the first place?

I really loved the angle at the end of Raw, it's the sole reason I chose to come on here right now. I thought it was very well done, and the emotion of Triple H having to fire a man he looks up to really came through.

Can't say so much for the tournament that I skipped through though. Something like that should have created an opportunity to do something big at SummerSlam. I'm also looking forward to seeing if they take this opportunity to create a new belt. I don't think it would make sense to keep it looking the same unless they somehow retreaved it from Punk.

"In the mean time, if they've actually managed to re-sign him, HHH will say he's negotiating with Punk, and either Punk will return down the line or we'll get HHH-Punk at Summerslam"

do you actually think that they havent managed to resign punk. but let him walk away with the title???? or have i missed the irony or joke somewhere?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe they thought it would be a god angle? Which it was.

• Paid Members

Of course he's re-signed. The great bit is not knowing how they will factor him coming back, what they will have him do in the meantime, will he parade about in RoH with the title etc. And now throw Triple H into the mix as the on-screen authority and WWE is really grabbing my interest right now. I think a Triple H/Punk match at SummerSlam might be too soon. I know some very small seeds are already sown, what with Punk calling him a doofus, but I think they will go with something else before then. Christ knows what- I really couldn't even begin to hazard a guess as to what the card will be for that ppv. Orton VS Christian in a big gimmick blowout match to end the feud could be one, unless they wrap it up on tv.

• Paid Members
Can't say so much for the tournament that I skipped through though. Something like that should have created an opportunity to do something big at SummerSlam.

I think people are kind of missing the point with this tournament angle too, to be honest. It felt a bit anti-climatic, thrown together, etc because it was supposed to be Vinces quick fix solution. He was panicking, trying to sweep the Punk thing under the carpet and out of peoples minds and sort a new champion quickfast. But he fucked up because he then had to sort the Cena thing too, all the while totally contradicting himself, desperately trying to drum home the 'nobody is or ever will be as big as WWE itself' to not allow the impression that he or his baby are weak or under threat, but making it seem totally like Punk and Cena are big fucking deals in the process.

I thought it was brilliant.

And it has created several opportunities for something big at Summerslam.

Everything is falling into place.

• Paid Members
I think people are kind of missing the point with this tournament angle too, to be honest. It felt a bit anti-climatic, thrown together, etc because it was supposed to be Vinces quick fix solution. He was panicking, trying to sweep the Punk thing under the carpet and out of peoples minds and sort a new champion quickfast. But he fucked up because he then had to sort the Cena thing too, all the while totally contradicting himself, desperately trying to drum home the 'nobody is or ever will be as big as WWE itself' to not allow the impression that he or his baby are weak or under threat, but making it seem totally like Punk and Cena are big fucking deals in the process.

I thought it was brilliant.

And it has created several opportunities for something big at Summerslam.

Everything is falling into place.

Don't you know DJ Kris is a psychic? He can tell WWE are going to mess this one up. He can also tell what you had for breakfast. Go on, Kris, tell him.

Punk doesnt want to stay through he actually wants to leave & it would benefit him more to make everyone wait a bit he could come back at Royal Rumble then have an unification match at Wrestlemania with Mysterio & could be Reys last match cos I reckon he will be retiring at Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members
The fact that the "New WWE Champion" wasn't crowned last night probably means there wont be one. Somehow Punk will be rehired by HHH.

WWE.com still has Punk as the WWE Champion in it's Title History.

I'm really hoping Punk hasn't resigned. One of the things I liked about this angle is that it was intelligent, it broke down barriers that Vince doesn't allow to be broken down very often and the idea that he genuinely allowed someone who was leaving the win the title and create one of the most exciting storylines in a long time gives me hope that WWE are turning a corner. They allowed the stupidity of not using the word "Wrestler" or "Wrestling" to be highlighted too, which was quite a step. If Punk is really gone it gives so much to the story that to me is lost in Punk shows up in the next few weeks.

Of course on the assumption that Punk really has gone, clearly he won't be showing up elsewhere with the belt, he legally wouldn't be allowed to I wouldn't have thought. Also I would like to think he show respect to the fact Vince gave him such a good story to go out on.

Either way Punk will no doubt be back, but I'd like a significant gap first.

• Paid Members

I thought Raw was awesome, most of it seemed like filler but probably for the first time in years the filler actually was part of a story and made total 100% sense instead of the usual "let's just put Kofi and Dolph out there again". And Vince's firing is so logical I don't see how some of the mongs in here are badmouthing this angle. He allowed the WWE CHAMPION to walk out with the title belt, this is fucking huge! It's very rare that we get a genuinely original and first time ever storyline in WWE these days but we have it, I can't wait to see how it progresses and I have no idea where it's going next and that's exciting!

And if you thought CM Punk was going to be on Raw tomorrow, you're an idiot and fuck you. That would have totally killed the angle. I want him gone for a minimum of one month at the very least.

DelRiohand.png

Still not understanding the negatives on this show at all but there we go. Enjoy Del Rio's freakishly long ET hand.

Quoted earlier post for the above poster.

Archived