Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

I haven't read all 16 pages, but I have to say I liked the show. Well, apart from HHH's acting anyway. There was lots of wrestling, progression of the main storyline, and most importantly, no Punk. If after the last month of awesomeness, he'd have somehow ended up back on Raw the next night,

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I honestly don't think WWE can win. People say it's stale and staid and needs mixing it up, then they make big fuck off changes (The HHH replacing Vince one is fuhooking massive) and it's still shit. I'm honestly starting to think some people have some kind of sadistic tendency were they only watch wrestling to not enjoy it and then moan about it.

From what I've read of this thread, there's barely anyone, comparatively speaking, criticising the HHH-replacing-Vince angle. For the most part, the response to this storyline has been pretty good, I thought.

Having not watched any wwe for about a year now, I was convinced by a friend to check out the current product. I watched the two raws preceding mitb and the one following. hhmm. after watching these shows my opinions completely changed. having previously liked punk and disliked cena I found that punk came across as an arrogant, whinging crybaby (not entirely sure that was what wwe was going for) and I desperately wanted cena (who before I couldn't stand) to kick his teeth down his throat. Now before you all call me mental, I can fully appreciate why people are bigging this current storyline up and saying it is 'must watch tv', but for me it has actually turned me back off again. I guess I will watch again if someone tells me punk gets his comeuppance.

p.s I foolishly thought that when punk came down with a 'best in the world' t-shirt that hinted at a punk-bryan fued. probably not though

• Paid Members
having previously liked punk and disliked cena I found that punk came across as an arrogant, whinging crybaby (not entirely sure that was what wwe was going for) and I desperately wanted cena (who before I couldn't stand) to kick his teeth down his throat.

Seen as how Punk is the heel and Cena is the face, I think there is a slight possibility that this may have been the desired reaction WWE were looking for.

I guess I will watch again if someone tells me punk gets his comeuppance.

Why not just keep watching and see Punk get his comeuppance?

That was a really blah Raw, but overall there is still a very exciting vibe. I now look forward to seeing if the 'dufus son in law' will negotiate with Punk to return and then subsequently interact with him.

• Paid Members
Did anybody else notice somebody in the crowd shouting 'I love you Dad!' in a piss-take voice a few seconds before Triple H's 'I love you Pop' line? It seemed to cause big H to hesitate for a moment before delivering it.

At about 7:25 here.

It was actually HHH getting his lines wrong. It was written "I love you **POP**" but he didn't realise the last bit was not supposed to be said, it was the expected reaction...

• Paid Members
Seen as how Punk is the heel and Cena is the face, I think there is a slight possibility that this may have been the desired reaction WWE were looking for.

Except Punk hasn't been playing heel this whole angle and the match itself he was a full on babyface.

I think this time WWE realised that if you go against Vince, you're an automatic babyface. The only heel in this angle was Vince, and both Cena and Punk made a point of mentioning it. Hell, if Punk was supposed to be a heel, they wouldn't had the match in his home town and they certainly wouldn't have given him a new t shirt.

I haven't been following until I heard Punk did a good promo worth watching for a few weeks back so I've been following the story since. I just heard same as everyone else, that it was reported his contract wasn't being renewed. In all likelyhood he probably has resigned, but I'm hanging onto the hope that he hasn't, just so this feels bigger. I think they key here is WWE have successfully made people suspend their disbelief for the first time in ages.
Well earlier this year Punk was losing a lot and various relatively reputable news sites said he was leaving. Then he started winning again. IT seems to me we can pin poiint around the time he was resigning.

I think the idea is that they have two different babyfaces, for two different demographics, going at it. It's not quite as simple as face and heel, they're both essentially playing both roles, and it's working. And that's really rather impressive on wwe's part, certainly a whole lot more progressive than anything than they've managed in the previous few years.

• Paid Members
I think the idea is that they have two different babyfaces, for two different demographics, going at it. It's not quite as simple as face and heel, they're both essentially playing both roles, and it's working. And that's really rather impressive on wwe's part, certainly a whole lot more progressive than anything than they've managed in the previous few years.

Definitely. It's something they've done before at a far lesser extent. An excellent example is Randy Orton said in a promo once during their epic 498 match feud "if you hate john cena, I am your hero"

Despite everyone more or less slating RAW, I watched it last night and was quite impressed. Apart from the usual dumbass booking [MITB winner in a title contest? Really?] I enjoyed Truth vs Mysterio and most of the matches that were on the show. I was a bit perplexed that the title belt itself wasn't addressed - I was hoping the winged eagle belt would have been brought out and put on display.

Cena needs time off. He wasn't there too wrestle, he had tweeted that he had already been 'future endeavoured' and yet he comes to the ring in his gear. Nonsense.

Vince's jacket...deary me. Vickie Guerrero. Yes I would.

Definitely. It's something they've done before at a far lesser extent. An excellent example is Randy Orton said in a promo once during their epic 498 match feud "if you hate john cena, I am your hero"

Or Bret and HBK, one a face in the US, the other a face overseas.

• Paid Members
Or Bret and HBK, one a face in the US, the other a face overseas.

wel...yes that's a better example. I was just thinking in terms of Cena.

*walks off, outdone*

Despite everyone more or less slating RAW, I watched it last night and was quite impressed. Apart from the usual dumbass booking [MITB winner in a title contest? Really?] I enjoyed Truth vs Mysterio and most of the matches that were on the show. I was a bit perplexed that the title belt itself wasn't addressed - I was hoping the winged eagle belt would have been brought out and put on display.

Cena needs time off. He wasn't there too wrestle, he had tweeted that he had already been 'future endeavoured' and yet he comes to the ring in his gear. Nonsense.

Vince's jacket...deary me. Vickie Guerrero. Yes I would.

What's the issue there? Surely being WWE Champion and holding MITB is an ideal scenario? Saves having to watch your back from someone cashing in. Edge was in the number one contender Gold Rush Tournament after he won the first MITB. He lost to Batista in the title match, but still had his MITB to cash in.

Archived