Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
Dunno if it's been mentioned at all, but they'd be missing a trick to not have Christian on an immense ego trip for the forseeable future claiming he's the only World Champion in wrestling etc. Have him showing up on Raw claiming that it doesn't matter who wins the WWE Championship tournament because he's the real World Champion. It'd be a nice addition to the Orton storyline which I'm afraid will start to get stale if it carries on for much longer.

I like that idea, a video package in a "vignette" style would have been a fun addition to the show, Christian could have brought up the fact he's better than Punk because he's the champion of the World, not just the WWE, and how could Punk even be the champion of the WWE anyway when he's no longer in it?

A "Christian: The ONLY champion" video pack would have put over Smackdown whilst also contributing towards the current storyline. You're right in saying this was a missed opportunity, although I enjoyed RAW something more manic and chaotic would have worked well in furthering the plot.

I expect next week we'll see Rey and Miz face Cena in a triple threat, no longer for the Championship, but to retrieve the title from CM Punk. We'll see though, I think Triple H needs to do something monumental next week to cement his role and I'm not completely sure that's it.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
although I enjoyed RAW something more manic and chaotic would have worked well in furthering the plot.

That is pretty much my sentiment. The show was a dull one until the end angle, but then that end angle was very well done.

I guess after all the build-up "The end of the WWE Title, landscape changing forever, Vince being humiliated etc..." I kind of expected more fireworks. Seems odd that Cena wasn't angry also. I've been shot down on these points before, but realistically, Cena would have been entirely in the right to say "hey, screw you Vince. I was winning until you came out and screwed everything up", but instead we get the 'bigger man' Cena accepting his fate without getting angry approach again. Shame, as the only time I rate Cena's promo's are when he's pissed off, as he can be great then. The way Cena reacted you'd have though Punk won squeaky clean.

Very interesting though, and hopefully bigger changes next week. A serious review of the two GMs should be Trips first bit of business.

How about Cena acknowledging a certain other wrestling promotion, "Brother". That was pretty unexpected.

...unlike the tournament which was unfortunately incredibly predictable. When Miz and R-Truth won their first round matches it was immediately obvious that Rey and Kofi would win theirs so that there would be two heels and two faces in the semi finals, I don't know about anyone else but I hate being able to predict the outcome of supposedly important matches especially after following a gloriously unpredictable PPV. In fact the only thing that didn't happen that I thought would was Miz winning the tournament with a bad knee and Del Rio immediately cashing in MITB to take the title from a wounded and exhausted Miz, although there's always next week.

As for Triple H's involvement... I know that the "Internet marks" know all about Trips' day job but has it ever been explained to the audience? I'm sure that there must be a lot of casuals out there wondering why Hunter was in a suit and why he of all people would be put in charge of the company by the board of directors. When Hunter paused before announcing who Vince's successor would be I briefly entertained the possibility of CM Punk's music hitting and Punk appearing at the top of the ramp all suited and booted, imagine how the audience would have reacted to that. Perhaps Trips has explained his role in the day to day running of the company and I missed it, but if he hasn't then could Punk not feasibly have been put in that role? It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Punk used his time in the WWE to get close to certain key board members and spent several years orchestrating a coup d'etat. Stranger things have happened in wrestling.

"When Miz and R-Truth won their first round matches it was immediately obvious that Rey and Kofi would win theirs so that there would be two heels and two faces in the semi finals"

True but how do you resolve that though?, that's the case in all tournaments.

As for Triple H's involvement... I know that the "Internet marks" know all about Trips' day job but has it ever been explained to the audience? I'm sure that there must be a lot of casuals out there wondering why Hunter was in a suit and why he of all people would be put in charge of the company by the board of directors.

I think you've overthinking it. He was already in charge of the company eleven years ago on telly, just for marrying Stephanie. The on-screen power in the company has passed between different McMahons before for no real reason other than they're related.

• Paid Members

Infact Triple H has even part owned the company before when Vince was inactive due to Stephanie wishing death on him back in late 1999. The McMahon-Helmsley era was headed by Stephanie and Triple H doing the decision making.

Wonder if this is Vince's 100% retirement onscreen. He said last year he was done, but came back to tie up odds and ends when Bret Hart had to leave, then Nexus gave him a kicking. Its hard to think of Vince not being on TV anymore. He's so hilarious. Now we have a new man in charge, I can see this putting off the Mystery Raw GM even further down the road. We've just got a new onscreen boss. We dont need another one just yet.

• Paid Members
Yeah, because HHH putting over Shelton Benjamin in one of those Scott Hall-esque banana skin manners really did wonders for Benjamin's career, didn't it?

Is anyone saying it did?.

What personal benefit did HHH have to get out of doing it?.

• Paid Members
Infact Triple H has even part owned the company before when Vince was inactive due to Stephanie wishing death on him back in late 1999. The McMahon-Helmsley era was headed by Stephanie and Triple H doing the decision making.

Wonder if this is Vince's 100% retirement onscreen. He said last year he was done, but came back to tie up odds and ends when Bret Hart had to leave, then Nexus gave him a kicking. Its hard to think of Vince not being on TV anymore. He's so hilarious. Now we have a new man in charge, I can see this putting off the Mystery Raw GM even further down the road. We've just got a new onscreen boss. We dont need another one just yet.

You know, I wonder if one of his first big decisions will be to fire the mystery GM, only to have them come out to plead for him to retain their job, revealing themselves as someone he's close to, like Shawn Michaels or Stephanie McMahon.

He'd fire them anyway whilst showing confliction, building up to whatever direction they're planning to take his current character, be that a heel turn or something else.

You know, I wonder if one of his first big decisions will be to fire the mystery GM, only to have them come out to plead for him to retain their job, revealing themselves as someone he's close to, like Shawn Michaels or Stephanie McMahon.

He'd fire them anyway whilst showing confliction, building up to whatever direction they're planning to take his current character, be that a heel turn or something else.

I'm hoping for an ultimatum; either the GM comes to RAW next week in person to justify their often weird decisions so Triple H can decide what to do with them, or (if they choose not to turn up) they are fired.

Actually, almost the same thing has happened. When Austin became CEO in the storyline. Another brilliant piece of fantasy booking which is actually just a rehash of a previous angle from the Attitude era, whodafunkit!?

Come on now, virtually anything that has ever happened in wrestling has been a rehash or a ripoff of something someone else did. This CM Punk situation bothers me a little because people really want a resolution, my concern is that if what Punk said in interviews about wanting to have three to six months off was accurate then the audience are probably going to have forgotten about it by the time he comes back. Surely there's more money to be made from CM Punk: Pro-Wrestlings criminal mastermind than CM Punk: That guy who stole the spinner belt and then disappeared from the face of the Earth.

I think you've overthinking it. He was already in charge of the company eleven years ago on telly, just for marrying Stephanie. The on-screen power in the company has passed between different McMahons before for no real reason other than they're related.

I'll be honest; I'd kinda forgotten all about the McMahon/Helmsley Regime.

After Raw went off the air:

Vince McMahon removed his jacket, tie, and belt and acted like he wanted to fight. John Cena's music hit and out he came Cena got in the ring to talk to Vince, who said, "Screw you" and slammed the mic down. He slapped Cena and knocked his hat off.

Cena backed Vince into the corner, then Dolph Ziggler, R-Truth, and The Miz ran in and beat down Cena. Santino Marella, Evan Bourne, and Zack Ryder hit the ring and made the save. All of the heels powdered, leaving only Ziggler in the ring with the babyfaces.

Cena hit Ziggler with the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Santino hit The Cobra. Ryder hits his finisher. Cena gave Ziggler the Attitude Adjustment, and Bourne nailed his finisher. The babyfaces powdered and celebrated with the ringside fans.

Wow, has there ever been a World Title tournament with less star-power? It could have easily been an IC Title tournament. Or 'mid-carder of the year' tournament.

Here's hoping the 'Triple H Era' will dig WWE out of the stale, decaying hole it's been trapped in for years.

Archived