Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

What really bugs me about the last segment is that Vince went from a hated villian, the one guy the entire audience was booing thanks to CM Punk, to having 'thank you Vince' chants. The previous night he made a megastar in CM Punk and took all that spotlight and shone it on himself. He made the CM Punk angle redundant, he made the WWE Championship pointless, the one CM Punk has and the new WWE Champion(ship)...awful.

Not to mention the tears and the 'pops' comment by Triple H. It'd have been far more entertaining if Triple H gave the whole "YOU'RE FIRED" thing...Vince has played the heel for far too long, he should be getting the nana nana goodbye songs on his departure but its obvious his ego was in overdrive.

The tournament was decent, and I'd have enjoyed it far more if it didn't come right after Money in the Bank. No-one wanted to watch so many matches in quick succession, we should have had long segments building towards the end segment. Highlighting the bad decisions Vince has made, not just in the past few months but over the course of the past 20 years.

Two good things are coming out of this though, Triple H on TV and if Vince really has/will step down then I think the product will improve if he doesn't have the final say, and we'll get a brand new WWE title belt that's long overdue.

However, they made and broke a megastar in the space of 24 hours. CM Punk might as well never have took the WWE title and went home with it, when that should have been the primary focus and driving force behind the Triple H/Vince McMahon segment.

Unmissable television was missable after a few minutes

You're a mental. And, I don't mean that in the colloquial sense of having crazy ideas, but I genuinely worry that you may only have access to a keyboard when you break free of your straightjacket.

Why would Triple H be playing the heel to Vince? What's his motivation? At no point (within this current narrative) has anyone suggested that the two don't get along, and creating a brand new conflict between Triple H/Vince would have been a real intention of stealing Punk's thunder.

Also, why is it Vince 'shining the spotlight on himself' by the crowd, of their own volition, turning in his favour. Part of what has made this story so special is that a lot of it has been guided by public opinion, rather than micromanaged by wwe officials. Similarly, he has only been the heel in this story because the fans empathised with Punk, at best Vince has been the traditional babyface (jumping through hoops, allowing himself to be provoked, offering to sign a ridiculous contract) and at worst he has been value neutral (working solely in the interests of his company, trying to save the title).

And, the suggestion they have broken a megastar is completely batshit crazy.

In his first promo last night Vince lumped Punk in with Hogan, Rock and Austin; Punk has fucked off with the 'real' WWE title and Punk's actions have directly influenced the boards decision to dump Vince on his ass. Frankly, in the anti-authority role, Punk has achieved more in two nights than Austin did in his entire run against McMahon. Ignoring Punk last night made perfect sense, don't take such a short-termist view when this story is in its infancy. Punk is the story right now, and having the establishment try and silence his fans, and ignore his existence, furthers the whole narrative.

I'm not sure what you expected last night, the show clearly wasn't going to be explicitly all about Punk as he was never going to be there. Implicitly, however, it was all about Punk.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One thing though, now Triple H is the gaffer, he's not going to pussy around CM Punk like Vince did. Hopefully he'll use methods like only he can to remove the belt from Punk. A Triple H vs CM Punk feud definitely has legs from where I'm sitting. I say keep it going where the new boss cant touch him, and later down the road Triple H has had it and calls him out and they wrestle.

Also, anyone think Triple H vs The Undertaker could be off? There's rumours the Undertaker is so banged up, he wont even make it by April and I cant see where this character could possibly fit into bringing to Undertaker back to beat him. Triple H looks like his gimmick has done a complete 180. I cant see HHH vs Taker happening now.

I wonder if Vince will now try to stop the title match/a new champ been crowned as he's been fired in a sort of he'd sooner ruin the company than hand it over angle.

He is going to bring back the nWo and destory his own creation, if he cant have WWE then nobody can.

As for RAW it was dull as fuck till the end, I wasnt expecting the same levels as mitb, but it sure killed alot of momentum imo.

I think you need more than one big storyline to keep awhole 2hour show interesting, you dont watch Eastenders or w/e and wait till the last 10mins for it to get interesting, theirs other little stories going on.

Like most Im interested to see what TripleH does, but I dunno if I would call that must watch (aka stay up till 4am) TV, definitely back to utube clips for me.

I have to disagree on that. We had 2 years of Triple H taunting Vince when they relaunched DX, and it got boring as fuck really quickly - plus the 'na na na na' song is never anything but cringeworthy. I think this way is far more intriguing because it plants the seed that Triple H is conflicted over Vince's departure - while he might be happy to finally be in the driving seat, he might also resent Cena and/or Punk for humbling the man he admired so much.

I agree the thing between HHH and Vince was like having to put your favourite Dog down you don't want to do it and it will brake your heart but you know it's for the best

• Paid Members

I didnt see MITB. I expected a shite PPV so didnt bother with it. However reading the reports on here about it and seeing that alot of people who stopped watching WWE loved it i thought Raw was going to be a must watch.

All that happened is WWE showed how it has no one (maybe miz) that can carry the ball. The matches bored me, the people in them bore me. I simply didnt care who won.

Then to make things worse Vince goes on and on about he has to do the right thing for the WWE and thats crown a new champ. Then tell Rey to piss off and wait till next week as he wants to speak...again.

Cena kind of explained his actions from MITB, At first i hated the (Im such a fair player and nice guy i dont want to keep my title if it means cheating. Cheaters never win.....) Saying he didnt want to be hounded like shawn was a master stroke.

HHH coming out to his theme music was kinda made me laugh, i dont know why i guess im just used to a jacked, water spitting, baddass. Not a suit.

As much as i wanted CM punk keeping him off tv was the right thing to do. How it goes from here i have no idea. Punk buying a ticket and sitting in the crowd?

I thought it was apretty good show! Of course Vince is going to ignore CM Punk, but with Triple H in charge maybe he wont ignore Punk and pretend it didn't happen. Vince is supposed to be covering up the cracks in his empire hence why he has now been replaced.

The Tournament was a decent idea, and the two semi final matches were great I thought so how anyone can accuse them of being boring is beyond me. I guess people just had expectations of what CM Punk would or would not be doing.

Why do I have to wait another week for the next one :( be interesting to see the ratings! And if Vince truly is stepping down in real life it will be the end of an era, and something incredible. Respect to the man.

• Paid Members
Why do I have to wait another week for the next one :( be interesting to see the ratings! And if Vince truly is stepping down in real life it will be the end of an era, and something incredible. Respect to the man.

I dont think Vince will ever step down, He will probably die backstage at Raw age 96 while cutting a promo. At some point he will be stuffed and mounted, there will be a button on his head that plays "your firrrrrrrrrrrreddddddd" that will be used once or twice a year.

• Paid Members

The potential of the Triple H v CM Punk feud is huge. Dave Lagana mentioned on his podcast that if they really want this to work they need to revamp Triple Hs image (long needed) to a more corporate one. I think him going back to his Evolution look will be perfect.

Fuck knows where they're going though. I'd love a Triple H turn.

The tournament was his 'making lemonade' moment, wasn't it..?

Cena retaining was his first plan, and he thought he had that covered; but Cena thwarted his plan (also, this explains his animosity towards Cena). After such embarassment, that he didn't think would actually happen, he acted like a McMahon would and pretended it never happened, going to a humiliating Plan B.

Cena retaining was his first plan, and he thought he had that covered; but Cena thwarted his plan (also, this explains his animosity towards Cena). After such embarassment, that he didn't think would actually happen, he acted like a McMahon would and pretended it never happened, going to a humiliating Plan B.

As I said, Vince doing what Vince always does, closes his eyes, puts his fingers in his ears and "lalala's" really loud till the problem gets forgotten about, and calls it damage control.

It was what he's always done, it'd be dumb if he'd done anything different.

Great post btw Daz.

Archived