Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

That was fucking shit. What a total let down. I didn't enjoy the final segement at all, Cena was embarrassing as usual, and I didn't enjoy the Vince and Triple H stuff because I can see what a total kiss arse Trips is. The tournament was dull as fuck as well, and don't even get me started on that women's match. How can they go from that brilliant PPV to that dog shit Raw so quickly? The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, because it shows that they just didn't care about what they were doing last night. Lawler is really getting on my nerves now as well, sucking up to Cena every 5 minutes. I'm begging them to get Bradshaw back instead of him.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back down to earth with a bump then.

I like the TNA tease, that would have got Dixie's juices flowing. But disappointing that the earth-shattering crisis in WWE didn't last 48 hours before order was restored.

• Paid Members
Back down to earth with a bump then.

I like the TNA tease, that would have got Dixie's juices flowing. But disappointing that the earth-shattering crisis in WWE didn't last 48 hours before order was restored.

Kind of. Vince McMahon did get fired as a result of what happened at the PPV, granted they didn't play things up like they should have.

Don't see how that was a great ending by any means. I think the entire show is a prime example of how bullshit WWE is and how they take even the hottest of storylines and shoot them full of plot holes/ignore them/fuck them up.

Why should anyone care CM Punk is champ if they're ignoring it and just naming new champs the next night/next week

John Cena never got fired AGAIN

Made last nights match completely redundant, and I feel it will kill any repeat viewings of it for people who know how it ended.

But, in terms of the storyline, CM Punk has fucked off. Why wouldn't they try and crown a new champion ASAP, the champ is their figurehead afterall.

Similarly, you're complaining Cena never got fired? But, surely what they did (i.e. suggesting that firing Cena was the mad decision of an old man who'd lost it) made the most sense, because otherwise they'd have the situation of taking him off TV with everyone and their dog knowing he'd be back in a few weeks to make the whole thing look even more stupid. Unless you think he should actually be fired, in which case I don't know how to talk to you...

I'm not sure what people want from the WWE anymore. Not everything can be explosive all the time, they certainly weren't going to match the OMG! factor of the PPV on free TV for lots of reasons, but primarily because they simply couldn't. They gave us a logical show, granted some of the matches were flat (the crowd didn't help), and finished up with a segment that was well acted, gave the show an episodic feel and made you interested as to what would happen next.

Vince is a God, that much is clear, but I thought Triple H did a good job of not acting himself (which wouldn't have made sense) and showing compassion for his father-in-law, but ruthlessness in cutting him loose. I think he set the framework for his new authoritative character.

That was fucking shit. What a total let down. I didn't enjoy the final segement at all, Cena was embarrassing as usual, and I didn't enjoy the Vince and Triple H stuff because I can see what a total kiss arse Trips is. The tournament was dull as fuck as well, and don't even get me started on that women's match. How can they go from that brilliant PPV to that dog shit Raw so quickly? The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, because it shows that they just didn't care about what they were doing last night. Lawler is really getting on my nerves now as well, sucking up to Cena every 5 minutes. I'm begging them to get Bradshaw back instead of him.

Don't get that at all. What did he do wrong?!

He was understated, generally speaking, and gave an impassioned promo that furthered the angle. The mentions of 'don't worry Kev, i'm not going to swear' and 'BROTHA!' were a good touch, too, because it furthered the 'real' subtext of the angle.

I'm surprised some people are so cross. I don't think the internet is for me anymore.

Cena was embarrassing as usual

I didn't see that at all Cena didn't joke or mess around he was serious Cena and I thought it came off pretty good.

Like most I didn't like the idea of a new champ been crowned but I wasn't to shocked about it and I thought the ending was great.

I do think they will do something where a new champion is stopped from been made maybe a Punk run in they did say the tordy was following championship rules so if a DQ was to take place then no champion would be crowned.

Edit to add

As for the Cena not been fired we knew he wouldn't hell even Punk said like week something like "Yeah right that'll really happen just like last time" WWE basically told us themselves they weren't going to do it

• Paid Members
But, in terms of the storyline, CM Punk has fucked off. Why wouldn't they try and crown a new champion ASAP, the champ is their figurehead afterall.

Similarly, you're complaining Cena never got fired? But, surely what they did (i.e. suggesting that firing Cena was the mad decision of an old man who'd lost it) made the most sense, because otherwise they'd have the situation of taking him off TV with everyone and their dog knowing he'd be back in a few weeks to make the whole thing look even more stupid. Unless you think he should actually be fired, in which case I don't know how to talk to you...

CM Punk is gone, but they should be spending their time trying to get their WWE Champion back in the company. There was very very little mention of him at all.

Cena should have been storyline fired, not real fired, and then you could have still done the Vince is fired too thing, only it would have made more sense. Since Cena never even got fired, what actual bad decisions did Vince make?

There was so much potential playing up the chaos with Raw's biggest face and Raw's biggest heel both gone from the company and having Vince/HHH/Other superstars trying to get them back, but instead we got all the choas just ignored and then sorted out by replacing Vince. Absolute horseshit, the entire thing.

I assumed we'd have a nexus run-in to stop the match acheiving a conclusion, as Punk might be fired but he does have a mobile phone. It might be an interesting subplot to have the new nexus keep stopping a new champion from being crowned, with Triple H then vowing to reach the source of the problem.

CM Punk is gone, but they should be spending their time trying to get their WWE Champion back in the company. There was very very little mention of him at all.

Cena should have been storyline fired, not real fired, and then you could have still done the Vince is fired too thing, only it would have made more sense. Since Cena never even got fired, what actual bad decisions did Vince make?

The fact that he was even considering firing the companies cash cow was indicative of his poor decision making, as such the board chose to overthrow him. That makes sense. Having him overthrown after Cena was fired would be acting after the horse had bolted, and risk the company not having a champion or a top star. That would make so much less sense.

Also, until the last 5 minutes, we saw Vince's brainchild (i.e. the championship tournament). Why would Vince be falling over himself to bring back Punk, when the subtext of this feud thus far has been, in part, how no one man is bigger than the company. Falling over themselves to bring him back would have contradicted everything this feud stands for.

On that note, Vince made Punk look a superstar in his first promo when he lumped him in with Hogan, Rock and Austin.

Don't get that at all. What did he do wrong?!

He was understated, generally speaking, and gave an impassioned promo that furthered the angle. The mentions of 'don't worry Kev, i'm not going to swear' and 'BROTHA!' were a good touch, too, because it furthered the 'real' subtext of the angle.

I didn't see that at all Cena didn't joke or mess around he was serious Cena and I thought it came off pretty good.

I just don't like the way he appears, smiling all the time with his Super Mario Bros. outfit on, he needs to appear more mature. I can tell by the way he speaks in his promos that he thinks everything is a big joke, everyone loves him really, and everything will be alright with him being the golden boy on top holding his American flag

and his toy belt in the end. What gets on my nerves more, is he is fully capable of performing how I would like it. He can do serious/un-embarrasing when he wants to. The last time he was "fired" he cut that great promo the night after Survivor Series, why can't he be like that every week? He is just so corny.

I fell asleep after Kofi vs Miz, which was a really odd match. Kofi doing the heelish beatdown on Miz the whole time, concentrating on the injured knee, then Miz stealing a win.

You can tell the pay-per-view was great (and the roster's a bit thin) when a one night tournament for the WWE title feels like a letdown. I thought it was fine. As I said before the show, they can't use CM Punk in a live setting, and everything else is a lot less interesting than him at the moment, so it was bound to disappoint.

The last bit didn't grab me as much as it seems it was meant to. Purely because it's about the millionth time Vince has been written out of the show. It's not even the first time he's been relieved of his duties for being mental/senile, is it? Although I might just be thinking of when comatose Linda got sacked. I do like the idea of Triple H as the authority figure, though, and I'm interested in seeing how he deals with the WWE title situation next week.

I don't give a toss about Mysterio vs Miz next week for the belt.

• Paid Members

Seeing as we all know he's Dillkid can ThePhenom just get banned already? He spews out negativity about absolutely everything to the point you wonder why he hasn't topped himself yet. And I'm not referring specifically to this Raw thread before anyone says it's a one off example. Also, yes I do have him on ignore, Carbomb but the quote function is the bane of my existence sometimes.

Once again don't get the more reasonable negative comments at all. Punk wasn't ignored by any stretch as he was mentioned just enough to keep up the story until at least next week. Vince is exactly the kind of egotistical prick who'd try to get people to forget about him and move on straight away. I thought storyline wise that show was great and that it was really interesting to see an all-night tournament take up most of the focus. I'm also glad that the final was moved until next week for multiple reasons: a fresh Rey vs Miz match should be great, it raises question about whether there will be some level of shenanigans from Del Rio or Cena or Punk and it furthered Vince's downfall by showing how hypocritical he was. The man who said no man is bigger than the title just moved the most important match to the next show just so he could fire and humiliate Cena. That was absolutely fantastic storytelling and a great way to write Vince off. At a stretch I could see a short Vince return leading to Vince vs Cena at Summerslam, if he's still that damn crazy, which would give the PPV that potential must-see match and really give Vince a final hurrah in front of a crowd who should appreciate it a bit more.

It wasn't the continuation that we was expecting but i think it surprised everyone. You to have to think about it rather than just pass judgment as soon as you have watched the show. This isn't a quick 4 week storyline but a long term thought out storyline that will lead to Wrestlemania.

Having Punk on the show the night after his contract ended and he walked out of the company would be as stupid as the Cena is Fired storyline late last year. Punk is having time off, probably 2/3 months and in that time the fans will not forget him as i imagine there will be references left, right and centre.

So while the CM Punk storyline gently simmers in the background we have a new exciting storyline. Triple H is the chairman, changes will be made. Cena is still employed, his quest to face The Rock at WM28 continues. Del Rio has the no.1 contendership from 2/3 weeks ago and the money in the bank briefcase. Rey or The Miz will be new WWE Champion to lead in the Triple H era. Will Triple H fire the anonymous Raw general manager? Will he change the set up? Will he call for a new draft?

So many questions to be answered. I have faith in the new booking direction that all be okay, Punk will return with an explosion and business will be red hot going into WM28.

.The fact that he was even considering firing the companies cash cow was indicative of his poor decision making, as such the board chose to overthrow him. That makes sense. Having him overthrown after Cena was fired would be acting after the horse had bolted, and risk the company not having a champion or a top star. That would make so much less sense.

Yeah I think during the Austin days Vince once cut a promo saying the only reason he wouldn't/didn't fire him was he made the company a lot of money so Cena is the same Vince may not like him to much but he's still the WWE's main source of money

Surely, the only logical main event for Summerslam is still CM Punk/John Cena II?!

Or, are we going to assume he's gone for longer than a month? I can't see that for a second.

I would assume that the new WWE Champion from next week will lose the title to Cena at Summerslam, and then Punk could come back and they could have a Unification match at Hell In A Cell.

Archived