Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

I think the same ppl who are moaning that Punk wasn't on the show are the same ppl who would be moaning if he had showed up then they would of been saying that it made no sense and was stupid that he was around after he said he was leaving right after MITB.

As for the Vince cancelling the last match that to makes sense and was to further prove the boards of directors point that Vince was making bad decisions and had to be stopped.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tournament was his 'making lemonade' moment, wasn't it..?

Cena retaining was his first plan, and he thought he had that covered; but Cena thwarted his plan (also, this explains his animosity towards Cena). After such embarassment, that he didn't think would actually happen, he acted like a McMahon would and pretended it never happened, going to a humiliating Plan B.

If that's the case why didn't he just say to Punk "If you win, I'm just going to crown a new champion the next night anyways. So na na na na" ?

Crap Raw until the final segment. Great angle at the end. Big stars carrying big angles is what sets the shite apart from the money drawers. Triple H and Vince were brilliant. I'm a bit gutted, because John Cena teased a match with Hogan at Bound For Glory, which I wouldnt have minded seeing. No complaints though. The only angle worth a shit was progressed which is all that matters.

Vince was brilliant but Triple H was struggling to stop himself from laughing especially when Vinny Mac turned on the waterworks. Plus....he's cleverly managed to put himself back into the spotlight when the focus should be on Punk's situation. And if he was desperately trying to find Vince before he went to the ring because he was there in a 'board of directors' capacity, why did his music have to hit? Oh yes....cos it's Triple H and his giant ego. For once, could he not have put that aside and just walk out. People still know who he is and it would've had even more of a 'legit' feel to it.

If that's the case why didn't he just say to Punk "If you win, I'm just going to crown a new champion the next night anyways. So na na na na" ?

Because it makes him look a galloping spaz.

Punk leaving with the title is the cause of the embarassment, not the fact that they don't have a champion. Vince had a plan for the former; it failed so he went forth, put his fingers in his ears and made a second plan to solve the latter. It makes perfect sense.

Vince was brilliant but Triple H was struggling to stop himself from laughing especially when Vinny Mac turned on the waterworks. Plus....he's cleverly managed to put himself back into the spotlight when the focus should be on Punk's situation. And if he was desperately trying to find Vince before he went to the ring because he was there in a 'board of directors' capacity, why did his music have to hit? Oh yes....cos it's Triple H and his giant ego. For once, could he not have put that aside and just walk out. People still know who he is and it would've had even more of a 'legit' feel to it.

This is indicative of the problem this thread has.

Quasi-informed internet people with pre-conceived ideas about Triple H/Vince fishing for agenda's that aren't there. Seriously? ...His music? that's an accepted form of entrance for everyone; Vince/Cena/Punk/Triple H...everyone.

It was well acted. It was logical. And, it opens up the door to a tonne of potential future arcs.

After some of the shit we've been put through over the last few years, i'll take sensible episodic TV shows with the occasional grandiose moment (ala Punk winning the title)...

• Paid Members
Why was Vince so desperate for Cena to beat Punk if he was just going to set up a new champion and belt the next night. That hasn't been addressed.

CM Punk is the legit WWE champion though. Vinces biggest fear is that Punk would take the piss with his belt and defend it in other places. It's like how Montreal is treated in Kayfabe terms, Vince didn't want Bret Hart pissing off with his WWF belt (and as the actual champion) to parade on WCW tv.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the show (including the tournament) but I'm a bit disappointed there was no kind of "off site" involvement from Punk, like a video diary of some sort further ripping the piss. The Triple H angle was interesting, but I was really enjoying the Vince McMahon/CM Punk dynamic and it was definitely an effective use of the Mr McMahon character. I don't really want to see him written off TV and I don't really want to see him feud with Triple H at this time.

I'm intrigued as to where this will go, but I'm disappointed the Punk/McMahon feud has been brought to an abrupt close.

Because it makes him look a galloping spaz.

Punk leaving with the title is the cause of the embarassment, not the fact that they don't have a champion. Vince had a plan for the former; it failed so he went forth, put his fingers in his ears and made a second plan to solve the latter. It makes perfect sense.

This is indicative of the problem this thread has.

Quasi-informed internet people with pre-conceived ideas about Triple H/Vince fishing for agenda's that aren't there. Seriously? ...His music? that's an accepted form of entrance for everyone; Vince/Cena/Punk/Triple H...everyone.

It was well acted. It was logical. And, it opens up the door to a tonne of potential future arcs.

After some of the shit we've been put through over the last few years, i'll take sensible episodic TV shows with the occasional grandiose moment (ala Punk winning the title)...

"quasi informed internet people"??? Hahahaha ok? If you insist.

Is that similar to those 'self important internet types' who shoot down everyone else's opinion that doesn't conform with their own?

• Paid Members

Its a television show you mental. That has to be the most pathetic nitpicking I've ever seen. The music was done for effect to get the full impact from the live attendance and the people at home. Its how we connect with our favourites and what sets apart the likes of Triple H from Kongo Kev. If Triple H walked to the ring like he was Harvey Whippleman, that wouldnt have made the fans popped huge. They have gave a bit of a reaction and went "hmmm, there's Triple H". The best thing was that music hitting as Vince was about to fire him. If thats your attitude towards wrestling, why doesnt Vince just sue CM Punk for a none contracted performer taking his belt home. A belt owned by WWE Inc. with WWE's trademarked logo on it. Lets use all realistic logic. When Alex Riley punches the Miz at the start, why didnt he just pin him then. Or next week open the show with Alex Riley on a drip for taking a forehead first bump from a long distance onto the floor. Wrestling needs logic, but its also a live action cartoon and soap opera. To get the full effect you have to stretch the rules of possibilities without insulting the people watching.

• Paid Members

Linda McMahon, too.

Its a television show you mental.

Intelligent response. I'm well aware it's a television show and you play up to that. I just felt on this occasion he could've already had a mic and interrupted from the top of the ramp. The entrance music didn't work.....FOR ME. Like I said to dAz, you insult me because my opinion doesn't match yours but that's what makes it MY opinion. I don't claim to know everything but I like to think my 15 years of working in, on or around shows - with greater wrestling minds than I - has taught me a little something.

• Paid Members
I don't claim to know everything but I like to think my 15 years of working in, on or around shows - with greater wrestling minds than I - has taught me a little something.

And do you not think Vince McMahon's 40 years of experience around the business has taught him something? He runs weekly live televised wrestling. Its a big difference from telling Scott Parker he's going over at the Chorle Empire. Maybe if you started playing music during inappropriate times like Vince does, you wouldnt be posting on a forum with the rest of us.

I Think it was a case of good idea, bad execution. Image If They had opened with punks music, only to have vince cut it he comes out with John Laurinaitis shouting and raving. In the heat of the moment Fires Laurinaitis for not getting the screwjob done, then says their would be a tournament and CM Punks name should never be spoke of again. Later on while he is back stage and stuff someone bumps into him maybe Del Rio another failure from last night, Vince fires him security drags him out. Proper break down of power like Vince is loosing it, Rey comes out for the finale Vince cuts him off but in a edgey weird way. That all builds to him firing Cena and just as he is about to say your fired..trips comes out and does the deed.

This would be asif Punk actually caused the downfall of Mr. McMahon, Gives Punk a reason to come back in a week or two to brag.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

And do you not think Vince McMahon's 40 years of experience around the business has taught him something? He runs weekly live televised wrestling. Its a big difference from telling Scott Parker he's going over at the Chorle Empire. Maybe if you started playing music during inappropriate times like Vince does, you wouldnt be posting on a forum with the rest of us.

So posting on forums is seen as failure or lowly now is it? Interesting. Again I make reference to the initial point that this was MY opinion and the reaction is so typical that if it doesn't match yours then it must be wrong. As for Vince, I never claimed, nor would I, to be anything like him but do like to think I've picked up a few ideas that might work along the way. There's no denying Vince is 'the man' and has the $$$ to show for it......but how many of us can honestly say they've not come on here and questioned at least one of his decisions over the yrs? That music was my chosen subject. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the segment as a whole.

Archived