Raw 18th July Discussion. *Spoilers*

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

I enjoyed it. One night tournaments are usually fun. The last segment was class!. HHH being back is always a good thing, and I can't wait to see what he has planned as the boss.

The not mentioning Punk thing makes perfect sense for now. They made him an amazing offer and he still turned them down. Now he has the belt, and could show up to defend it somewhere else. Why give him the publicity?.

That was fucking shit. What a total let down. I didn't enjoy the final segement at all, Cena was embarrassing as usual, and I didn't enjoy the Vince and Triple H stuff because I can see what a total kiss arse Trips is. The tournament was dull as fuck as well, and don't even get me started on that women's match. How can they go from that brilliant PPV to that dog shit Raw so quickly? The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, because it shows that they just didn't care about what they were doing last night. Lawler is really getting on my nerves now as well, sucking up to Cena every 5 minutes. I'm begging them to get Bradshaw back instead of him.

Your posts somehow get even shitter when you try to speak like a big boy.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched most of the show on fast forward, but I did like the closing segment. I'm interested to see what Triple H's angle is going to be, character-wise, because that ending left a lot of room for manoeuvre. Has he been playing this carefully behind the scenes waiting for the opportunity to seize power? Will he seek revenge on Cena and/or Punk for ultimately causing the downfall of his beloved father-in-law? Or is he just going to be an objective, straight-down-the-middle authority figure? Is Johnny Ace going to be the Patterson/Brisco of the new regime?

If the tournament had finished last night, I would've put the house on Del Rio cashing in, but not sure now. Another Miz/Cena feud over the title in Punk's absence doesn't excite me in the slightest, I can't buy Miz as a world champion anymore and we've seen enough of that feud this year, so I'm hoping they don't go down that road.

On another note, it was nice to see Vince go out in a suit jacket that was ridiculous even by his standards.

• Paid Members

I think its a bit soon to completely shit on the angle entirely. Just because punk wasn't there last night (and rightly, not to mention logically, so). They are following the reality basis for this, and if the WWE champion walked for real, they would strip him of the title and crown a new one, so that's what they're doing in storyline terms. I'm intrigued to see where this goes before jumping to the conclusion that they've screwed up.

Triple H as the new authority figure certainly freshens things up. Hope it puts an end to the increasingly annoying Anonymous GM.

I really thought they were going to put the strap of Rey Mysterio which I was totally dreading. He should be nowhere near it. I can understand why they would want to crown a new WWE Champion immediately but I hope CM Punk returns and interferes causing his title to be the only recgonised one.

I also wish they'd give Dolph Ziggler more of a chance in the limelight.

• Paid Members
Surely, the only logical main event for Summerslam is still CM Punk/John Cena II?!

Or, are we going to assume he's gone for longer than a month? I can't see that for a second.

I think he might remain gone until Summerslam and I don't think they'll rush back into Cena vs Punk THAT quickly. If the rumors of them hiring Colt and the Kings of Wrestling are true then I can see a variation of an invasion story going down over the next few weeks. I can see Del Rio cashing in next week and stealing the title from the winner of Miz/Rey which will lead to something along these lines for Summerslam on the Raw side:

Cena vs. Vince

Del Rio vs Mysterio vs Miz

I also think there's a very good chance that they'll build for Trips vs Punk at Mania, perhaps trying to get HBK back for Taker's final match.

EDIT - Oh I forgot to point out how well a job I thought they did of making Kofi and Miz look credible. Miz is winning these matches, cleanly, with the injured leg. I'm positive this is leading to a tweener run into Summerslam as Miz is usually over as a face in LA. Kofi going over Del Rio will do wonders for him and them putting over his amazing work at MITB last night, not to mention his enthusiastic promo, really made me start getting into him again. It's better than him vs. Dolph for the 90th time.

Triple H as the new authority figure certainly freshens things up. Hope it puts an end to the increasingly annoying Anonymous GM.

That is one thing I am sort of happy about, hopefully we actually find out who was behind the E-mails before they scrap the concept though. They should have ended it months ago in my opinion.

Im really enjoying the storyline. I dont get the hate for last night Tourney was the logical way to go. Hope we end up with a Intrim Champ vs The True Champ somewhere down the line. End part was great all three played there parts well. The look on Cenas face when he realised what trips was saying to vince looked real. I hope Punk turns the WWE championship to his own belt maybe a Pure Wrestling title like they had in Roh or he becomes FTW heavyweight Champ. Most enjoyment ive got in a while from wrestling

I really enjoyed the final 25 minutes of last nights show, except for the crowd. What a letdown they were!

It was great to see Triple H back as well, although I wonder where this leaves the anonymous Raw GM? Surely if they don't reveal who it is in the next few weeks, it's going to be quietly dropped? Unless Triple H is only going to appear every so often, like Vince has the past few years?

Hope it puts an end to the increasingly annoying Anonymous GM.

I hope so too, but I think they should squash it in an amusing way and it is completely forgotten about within the week. Like Triple H is hunting the anonymous GM down and discovers it is Howard Finkel hiding in a Portaloo using the York Foundation's computer.

I hope so too, but I think they should squash it in an amusing way and it is completely forgotten about within the week. Like Triple H is hunting the anonymous GM down and discovers it is Howard Finkel hiding in a Portaloo using the York Foundation's computer.

That would actually be genius, and the kind of random comedy that the last golden era would use week in week out. You don't need to break PG to do compelling tv and Sunday + the last 15 minutes of last night proved that.

What you need though are stars people give a damn about, and to be honest for the first two hours the only people I recall anyone caring about last night was McMahon, Ace and the return of Ricardo.

I can see them crowning a paper champion in the next couple of weeks, but have them constantly reminded that the title really is that, worthless. They'll demand that the new head guy in HHH brings back Punk which leads to a "Champion" vs Champion match down the line. The alternative being Vince out on his arse swallows his pride and becomes the man behind Punk the way Heyman was behind Lesnar (although Punk doesn't need a guy being his mouth piece, but having Vince in his corner would be awesome)

There's several roads this can head down, and so far they haven't dropped the ball yet. Punk wasn't on TV, an interim champion being crowned is a perfectly logical action (I mean seriously Vince's reaction to bad stuff has to always pretend it didn't happen, or just bury it. NWO, Hassan, any time Hogan's left the company, and that giant Canadian elephant in the room) this was Vince the character doing what Vince the man has always done last night. Poor quality damage control.

What really bugs me about the last segment is that Vince went from a hated villian, the one guy the entire audience was booing thanks to CM Punk, to having 'thank you Vince' chants. The previous night he made a megastar in CM Punk and took all that spotlight and shone it on himself. He made the CM Punk angle redundant, he made the WWE Championship pointless, the one CM Punk has and the new WWE Champion(ship)...awful.

Not to mention the tears and the 'pops' comment by Triple H. It'd have been far more entertaining if Triple H gave the whole "YOU'RE FIRED" thing...Vince has played the heel for far too long, he should be getting the nana nana goodbye songs on his departure but its obvious his ego was in overdrive.

The tournament was decent, and I'd have enjoyed it far more if it didn't come right after Money in the Bank. No-one wanted to watch so many matches in quick succession, we should have had long segments building towards the end segment. Highlighting the bad decisions Vince has made, not just in the past few months but over the course of the past 20 years.

Two good things are coming out of this though, Triple H on TV and if Vince really has/will step down then I think the product will improve if he doesn't have the final say, and we'll get a brand new WWE title belt that's long overdue.

However, they made and broke a megastar in the space of 24 hours. CM Punk might as well never have took the WWE title and went home with it, when that should have been the primary focus and driving force behind the Triple H/Vince McMahon segment.

Unmissable television was missable after a few minutes

Not to mention the tears and the 'pops' comment by Triple H. It'd have been far more entertaining if Triple H gave the whole "YOU'RE FIRED" thing...Vince has played the heel for far too long, he should be getting the nana nana goodbye songs on his departure but its obvious his ego was in overdrive.

I have to disagree on that. We had 2 years of Triple H taunting Vince when they relaunched DX, and it got boring as fuck really quickly - plus the 'na na na na' song is never anything but cringeworthy. I think this way is far more intriguing because it plants the seed that Triple H is conflicted over Vince's departure - while he might be happy to finally be in the driving seat, he might also resent Cena and/or Punk for humbling the man he admired so much.

Archived