DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Bridging the gap between the threads on retro cover art and video shop memories, today I watched Split Second with perenial straight-to-video favourite, Rutger Hauer.

78211.gif

This was one of the VHS tapes I paid 10p for in a charity shop recently. I've just looked on eBay, and the DVD cover is shit in comparison. The American version has a massive fuck-off spoiler on the cover.

Okay, imagine you want to make a Blade Runner style cyberpunk film, you've got Rutger Hauer signed, but you've fuck all budget for anything else and you have to shoot in England. Sounds grim, however the director did a spot on job with this.

Hauer is at his best when he's clearly enjoying himself, and he's on fire here. Set in the futuristic year of 2008 (?), ignored warnings of global warning means that London is flooded and the pollution means it's almost always night. This means that we get lots of pop-video style lighting, with lots of neon and blue light coming from behind grills, and the streets are always ankle deep in water.

The script is sharp with some distinctly British humour to it, Kim Catrall provides the baps (along with her left-over-from-Star Trek hair style), and there's plenty of explosions and souped-up weapons to complete the formula.

• Paid Members

I watched it recently. We should be making more films like this over here - just daft action and sci-fi films instead of violent racists stalking around council estates beating up and raping single mums. No-one wants to watch that. But I do want to watch Rutger Hauer trying to hunt down a giant Satanic rat.

Bridging the gap between the threads on retro cover art and video shop memories, today I watched Split Second with perenial straight-to-video favourite, Rutger Hauer.

78211.gif

This was one of the VHS tapes I paid 10p for in a charity shop recently. I've just looked on eBay, and the DVD cover is shit in comparison. The American version has a massive fuck-off spoiler on the cover.

Okay, imagine you want to make a Blade Runner style cyberpunk film, you've got Rutger Hauer signed, but you've fuck all budget for anything else and you have to shoot in England. Sounds grim, however the director did a spot on job with this.

Hauer is at his best when he's clearly enjoying himself, and he's on fire here. Set in the futuristic year of 2008 (?), ignored warnings of global warning means that London is flooded and the pollution means it's almost always night. This means that we get lots of pop-video style lighting, with lots of neon and blue light coming from behind grills, and the streets are always ankle deep in water.

The script is sharp with some distinctly British humour to it, Kim Catrall provides the baps (along with her left-over-from-Star Trek hair style), and there's plenty of explosions and souped-up weapons to complete the formula.

I liked that film, not seen it in an age. Alun Armstrong is quite good in it. Ian Dury and Pete Postelewaite are in it as well. I enjoyed it at the time and it pops up on whatever freesite was linked here ages ago. Need to watch it again tbf

• Paid Members
Cheers is being shown on ITV4 from the very beginning, starting this Monday night. I believe that they are planning to show the entire 11 series of it.

I've only ever seen a couple of episodes, so I'm going to get on board with this.

Series record that baby Arch, it's well worth it. The whole set was on amazon for about

• Paid Members
I liked that film, not seen it in an age. Alun Armstrong is quite good in it. Ian Dury and Pete Postelewaite are in it as well. I enjoyed it at the time and it pops up on whatever freesite was linked here ages ago. Need to watch it again tbf

Alun Armstrong's pretty good in everything he's in though. He's one of those faces I like to see pop up in films.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Personally, I would have preferred it to have been a human serial killer rather than a big rubber monster, as I don't think it suits the tone of the film earlier on.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Skyfall

Up with the best of the Bond films. Daniel Craig is very good as Bond, Judi Dench is as good as ever (if not better than before) as M, Javier Bardem is great as the bad guy and the supporting cast are all good in their roles as well. It has great action, good humour and a basic but perfectly fine plot and ends up being a very entertaining movie in the end. It might be too long for some (140-odd minutes) and there might be complaints of too much talking and not enough action, but (with a feeling of a mixture of Bourne and Dark Knight at times) I really enjoyed it and hope we see another Bond movie made very soon (the end of 2014 is apparently the current estimate).

• Paid Members

Cheers is being shown on ITV4 from the very beginning, starting this Monday night. I believe that they are planning to show the entire 11 series of it.I've only ever seen a couple of episodes, so I'm going to get on board with this.

Crap, I missed the pilot :( Are they showing it again later in the week?

Managed to watch a Maniac Cop and Halloween 3 last night loved both of them the more and more i watch of them i totally forgotten how kickass Halloween 3 was :)

• Paid Members

Cheers is being shown on ITV4 from the very beginning, starting this Monday night. I believe that they are planning to show the entire 11 series of it.I've only ever seen a couple of episodes, so I'm going to get on board with this.

Crap, I missed the pilot :( Are they showing it again later in the week?
Its repeated today at 13:50 from what I remember. Have set the DVR for it. Looks like they are going to do the same for that, that they do for Batman and others, play it in the evening, and repeat the next afternoon.

And what an amazing Pilot it is. It arrives fully-formed - all the characters are there, all their quirks and mannerisms, all the interplay. The bar feels like it's a few seasons in, it's just Diane turns up for the first time.

• Moderators

I have been watching some films recently. Here are some one line reviews because typing on an iPad sucks:3 musketeers: good family fun movie, and undoubtedly the best thing James Corden has ever done. Don't think I saw a single musket the entire film though.Sorcerers apprentice: rubbish. Nic Cage is an idiot.Despicable me: well obviously it's a kids film. But yeah, very enjoyable. Funny, lots of heart, all star cast as well.21 jump street: I really liked this. Maybe my expectations were suitably low? I like Jonah Hill. He's my favourite funny fat guy doing films at the minute. And the other guy was... There also.Also rewatched Romeo & Juliet for the first time seeing it since the cinema. It has aged well, still very slick and entertaining. Not enough tragedies made these days...

• Paid Members

Not really sure where to put this, so here will do. Watched the latest Rich Hall doc on BBC 4 last night, about the Amrican Indian and their history and prescense/depiction in film. It was up to par with the others i've seen on the road movie and westerns a while ago. Worth a watch on iPlayer if its on there.

Edited by MichaelScarn