DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Save me a pillow for the the Affleck love-in. As Gladders has said, his performance in Changing Lanes is brilliant. Both he and Jackson were incredible in that film and Affleck more than held his own opposite someone you'd have expected to to steal every scene. From the moment he makes the snide call to Jackson, his performance just keeps on getting better.

Great to see another Changing Lanes lover. A fantastic film, stupidly underrated, I really need to rewatch it soon.

• Paid Members

Kicked off my weekend by watching The Passion of the Christ for the first time. I should have just watched a few episodes of 30 Rock, I wont be able to eat steak for a month.

Dont know what to say really, as Im sure you all know its largely an extensive beating throughout the whole movie. Only tiny snippets of the movie show Jesus preaching or doing anything other than being in excruciating pain.

You certainly feel for JC though, so its not completely pointless Hostel style torture, but it was rough. The special effects were incredible, brutally realistic. It was also a lot less hammy & cringeworthy than I imagined it would be. (Some of those Romans soldiers could have taken it down a notch though.)

5/10-ish. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, kept my attention and looked very good. But there wasnt much content, it was over the top brutal and had a few too many whacky moments. (Although an athiest watching a religious film should probably expect that.)

I did like that the few nice Jews were slim, pretty people and the bad Jews were old craggy, big-nosed fat blokes. Theres probably a lot of other questionable liberties taken in the film, but Im not educated enough in that subject.

I probably wouldnt ever watch it again. Christ! (sorry), I hope no religious parents took their kids to see this, it would scar them for life.

Edited by Rob Lowe

• Awards Moderator

Cheers is probably one of the best two or three sitcoms ever made. It's bloody fantastic. Even the rubbish episodes are better than most other shows' most acclaimed episodes. The whole 'it went rubbish when Coach died/Shelley Long left' statements are complete bollocks.

• Paid Members
Cheers is probably one of the best two or three sitcoms ever made. It's bloody fantastic. Even the rubbish episodes are better than most other shows' most acclaimed episodes. The whole 'it went rubbish when Coach died/Shelley Long left' statements are complete bollocks.

Have to say I agree with this, it just seemed like they tried to do the Sam-Diane thing only Rebecca had a different personality, while the show was still good I wasn't up for going through it all again after the whole Sam-Diane debacle. It's Frasier and Cliff and Norm that save the later seasons from becoming an awful constant flashback too Sam-Diane.

• Paid Members

Complete bollocks is right. Coach was a top character but the Woody Boyd character was pretty the same character though played by a young man to create a different dynamic. And Kirstie Allie brings a whole different edge to the show. The Shelley Long years are great though, she was a wholly original character in 'Diane'. Amazing character. It was smart to not have Sam/Rebecca do the Sam & Diane story, they dumbed Sam down and to be honest he was much funnier post Shelley Long leaving. The drama aspect of the show wore off after that and with the expansion of the cast, the show itself gets a lot more fast paced. The whole show is fantastic, it has some of the best support characters in american sitcoms, and it lead to the creation of Frasier. It takes a lot to find a way to dislike it.

Not a Sam/Diane fan Paul?

Edited by Chilli_Mondeo

• Paid Members

I haven't watched that much Cheers and I really should, but it's probably quite a way down my list of things to watch properly. But I always liked it whenever I saw it and it did spawn Frasier as well, and that is certainly one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

Greatest sitcoms. Hmm....

• Paid Members
The Dart did a UKFF vote in 2009. It was ace. Don't you go getting any ideas.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Do it

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I vaguely remember it actually, but I wasn't sure if it was sitcoms or a general comedy show thing. I had been considering stand up comedians what with all the chat round here recently about them.

Watch this space, then!

I vaguely remember it actually, but I wasn't sure if it was sitcoms or a general comedy show thing.

It was general stuff; I remember putting This Morning with Richard Not Judy and Brass Eye on my list. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. The film threads earlier this year were great fun.

Chilli, I like Open All hours, but I think Porridge is in a totally different league. You should definitely get that watched at some point. There aren