DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

I thought if it could have reigned itself in a lot more and shortened itself, like you say, it could have been great. Can't remember his name now as I'm about to go out and can't be arsed looking it up, but the lead psycho was admittedly brilliant.

Good to see a mention of Gozu as well, what a great film.

Watched Revolutionary Road last night, great performances from Kate and Leo, reunited. Good all round film, well directed by Sam Mendes. Worth a watch, despite it being a bit grim at times. Ive not read the book, so no idea how it compares. But was immensely enjoyable.

• Paid Members

Argo, was the last film I saw at the cinema. Directed by Ben Affleck (I've always enjoyed his directing more than his acting) I thought it was really good. Without going into the politics of what actually happened (cause it's based on a true story) I found the film to be pretty gripping, it actually made me cry at one point too. The film is about the American Embassy in Iran being invaded by Iranian revolutionaries and Americans were taken hostage. If you'd like to know more about what the film is about you can read about it by searching "Canadian Caper" on Google or Wiki etc. The cast was pretty amazing too. Bryant Cranston, Alan Arkin and John Goodman are in it to name a few. There's been Oscar buzz surrounding this film, I can see why.

• Paid Members
Argo, was the last film I saw at the cinema. Directed by Ben Affleck (I've always enjoyed his directing more than his acting) I thought it was really good. Without going into the politics of what actually happened (cause it's based on a true story) I found the film to be pretty gripping, it actually made me cry at one point too. The film is about the American Embassy in Iran being invaded by Iranian revolutionaries and Americans were taken hostage. If you'd like to know more about what the film is about you can read about it by searching "Canadian Caper" on Google or Wiki etc. The cast was pretty amazing too. Bryant Cranston, Alan Arkin and John Goodman are in it to name a few. There's been Oscar buzz surrounding this film, I can see why.

Couldn't agree more, certainly more humour in the film than you'd imagine for this type of story. Affleck has really done a good job in directing this, really gripping from start to end (more so than Taken 2).

Couldn't agree more, certainly more humour in the film than you'd imagine for this type of story. Affleck has really done a good job in directing this, really gripping from start to end (more so than Taken 2).

I agree with both of you. Really enjoyed Argo.

Edited by The Natural

I reckon Affleck got a fantastic career ahead of him now; both his debut and this have been getting good reviews. He's also acting in his own films, and putting in good performances, which is very Eastwood.

• Awards Moderator

Save me a pillow for the the Affleck love-in. As Gladders has said, his performance in Changing Lanes is brilliant. Both he and Jackson were incredible in that film and Affleck more than held his own opposite someone you'd have expected to to steal every scene. From the moment he makes the snide call to Jackson, his performance just keeps on getting better.

Direction-wise, Gone Baby Gone is stunning and his kid brother puts in a great turn as the main lead.

• Paid Members

Iv'e loved Affleck as far back as Chasing Amy, I know Kevin Smith gets alot of stick and i'm far from a big fan of his but I loved Affleck and Jason Lee in that, still one of my favourites. Glad to see his career's going well now must go and see Argo and Bond next week.

Edited by Inspector Paul Solo

Save me a pillow for the the Affleck love-in. As Gladders has said, his performance in Changing Lanes is brilliant. Both he and Jackson were incredible in that film and Affleck more than held his own opposite someone you'd have expected to to steal every scene. From the moment he makes the snide call to Jackson, his performance just keeps on getting better.

Direction-wise, Gone Baby Gone is stunning and his kid brother puts in a great turn as the main lead.

Haven't watched Gone Baby Gone and The Town in ages. Having said that, I'd rank them:

1. Gone Baby Gone

2. Argo

3. The Town

Iv'e loved Affleck as far back as Chasing Amy, I know Kevin Smith gets alot of stick and i'm far from a big fan of this but I loved Affleck and Jason Lee in that, still one of my favourites. Glad to see his career's going well now must go and see Argo and Bond next week.

Have you listened to the Mallrats or Chasing Amy DVD commentaries? He seems like a really nice, funny dude. So far he's showing a lot as director. I remember going to see Gone Baby Gone and my mate letting out a confused/repulsed 'BAFFLECK?!?' when I told him who was directing it. He loved the film, funnily enough.