General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

So now that Corbyn has finished appointing his cabinet ministers, half of the appointments have gone to women. At least that will silence one ridiculous criticism he's faced over the past couple of days.

Hasn't silenced it at all. People have taken issue with the fact that he hasn't put any women in at the "top" spots.

• Paid Members

It's insane how the first person in as long as I've been alive to come along and present fresh, productive ideas and act like a person and not a childish prat gone mad with power, is being absolutely hammered from all sides.

It's insane how the first person in as long as I've been alive to come along and present fresh, productive ideas and act like a person and not a childish prat gone mad with power, is being absolutely hammered from all sides.

Shows he must be the right man for the job!

He makes a great point about newspapers, the majority of people don't read them so he isn't going to use them to get his points across. And that's why the media hate him.

Over the years I've taught myself to not give more than  a glancing eye at politics as it is probably the most debilitating, hopeless & depressing aspect of UK life. So what makes Corbyn stand out so much in recent Labour terms? What are the press generally on his back about the most regarding his views?  Rather hear it second hand than go and actually read the fuckwitted dirtsheets any day

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

Over the years I've taught myself to not give more than  a glancing eye at politics as it is probably the most debilitating, hopeless & depressing aspect of UK life. So what makes Corbyn stand out so much in recent Labour terms? What are the press generally on his back about the most regarding his views?  Rather hear it second hand than go and actually read the fuckwitted dirtsheets any day

Since Blair took charge in 1994, Labour have abandoned their traditional policies in an effort to appeal to Conservative voters. In short, they've become a Party without principles, that only exists to try and get themselves elected.

Corbyn is a throwback to traditional Labour values. He supports nationalising public services, such as the railways, taxing the rich rather than the poor and not bombing somewhere because The Sun says so. The reason the press are against him is because those values present a danger to a Status Quo that suits them fine. They don't want the public to actually THINK about, say, how unfair it is that huge corporations, or non-doms are avoiding paying tax, while people are starving and public services are being cut, so they try to frame his ideas as being "radical" and "Marxist" when they are actually really sensible. I sound like Dynamite Duane now don't I? :-(

Blair, incidentally, is warning against Corbyn because Corbyn wants Blair to be tried for war crimes. That's a pretty strong motivation to try and stop him getting close to power.

Shows he must be the right man for the job!

Ain't that the truth.  

Blair, incidentally, is warning against Corbyn because Corbyn wants Blair to be tried for war crimes.

If he's still around come the next election that would make voting Labour far more appealing.

Blair is virtually untouchable, he made a lot of people (himself included) very wealthy.

Loved the moody, tetchy Corbyn being "harassed" by the media last night.

Guy needs to lighten up a bit

• Paid Members

I'm starting to think the media hatchet job on Corbyn is actually worse than I expected, which is really going something. Yesterday he was a hypocrite for kissing the Queen's hand despite being a republican. Today's he's disloyal for not singing God Save The Queen.

The Sun's already got him in a mocked-up jester hat picture three days into his leadership. It's almost like they've shot their bolt, tabloid slagging-off wise.

• Paid Members

It gets worse Lister, today The Telegraph ran an article having a pop at him because he attended a Battle of Britain memorial service...WITH HIS TOP BUTTON UNDONE.

Prepare the stocks already!

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

To be honest, it's the exact same sort of shit that Scotland's been putting up with since the Referendum was announced. It worked for the Referendum itself but all it's served to do since is bury any valid criticism of the SNP under an avalanche of absolute bollocks, and it's made the Party more popular as a result. Hopefully the same will prove true for Corbyn.

With that said, I've got a feeling that, when Labour lose badly up here next year (and they will, because Kezia Dugdale is a fuckwit) they'll try to spin it as a rejection of Corbyn's policies and use it to justify getting rid of him.

I really want to know who supported the Tories' cuts to Tax Credits. It went through by 35 votes, and they've only got a working majority of 16. Douglas Carswell from UKIP supported it and David Davis and Stephen McPartland from the Tories voted against it which leaves 20 unaccounted votes. I've got to assume that some Labour MPs rebelled just to stick it to Corbyn.

• Paid Members

Sounds like it was a bollocksup by the Labour whips getting everyone there, rather than any Labour people voting against it. Diane Abbot missed the vote despite a three line whip, and I can't see her not wanting to oppose it, even before she was in the shadow cabinet.